This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Diabetes in one dude.

This dude's lived to 90 with diabetes, since he was 5.
    What's even more awesome than this? Having a history of the disease pretty much laid out in the article, if only because he's that freaking old. I had pieced together the history before, but this is more vivid and more cohesive.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Especially since he was diabetic back when they tended to have an extremely short lifespan - if you notice his brother died because there was no available insulin. A single year made the difference between life and death.

I have it easy, I have all sorts of drugs, testing equipment, 75 years of research on nutrition and coping techniques ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Major kudos to him! I had no idea until I read this article that diabetes was a death sentence back then!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
        Major kudos to him! I had no idea until I read this article that diabetes was a death sentence back then!
        Hell, it can still be a death sentence if you are not compliant. If I were to not shoot up with my lantus the metformin and januvia alone will not keep me in range and that can and will cause health problems, the minorest being diabetic neuropathy in the extremities. Think anything ranging from pins and needles to your feet being set on fire like in that set of commercials on TV a few years ago. I especially liked the little imp stabbing the guys foot with the pitchfork You can get diabetic retinopathy, inhibited healing, all the way up to organ failure. If I wanted to sit around and eat junk food all day I could easily cause the same health issues - it is all about controlling the body on manual instead of automatic. I get frustrated because my husband can eat anything that wont kill him and all he will do is gain a little weight
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
        X