Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age discrimination or just mean co-workers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two wolves and one sheep voting on what's for dinner seems very fair to the wolves, but the sheep tends to disagree.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Department stores *sigh* View Post
      No matter what is fair, people will always complain that things are unfair. How come <insert person of the day> gets <unfair allowance of the day> and I always get shafted? My life sucks and managers/co-workers are to blame and not my workethic or perspective on life.

/sigh
      Wow, you've just described my life at work lately.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Geek King, may I use that as a facebook status?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
          Geek King, may I use that as a facebook status?
          Please say yes, so that I can 'like' it on her page.

Totally awesome quote!
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            Please say yes, so that I can 'like' it on her page.

Totally awesome quote!
            Me, too!!!
            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Out of curiosity, is B or top management aware of the insults and complaining going on? What I'm about to write is observations I've made from my former retail workplace. I do not know the letter of ADA law, so forgive me if I make incorrect assumptions.

Firstly, retail is hard and corporations continue to change the rules, reduce staff while expecting more from them, reduce benefits, etc. Regardless of how well-liked B is by management, there is a real concern about what corporate makes of things. Just as an example, we had a CSM who fell and sprained her ankle. The store refused to provide her with a stool, because the CSM's job required standing and running between registers. In order to use a stool, she would've needed to be demoted to cashier for the couple weeks her ankle healed and then who knows if she'd get her higher-level job back. So instead she suffered without a stool.

There's a chance that B's job "technically" requires closing shifts and/or physical amounts of labor. In which case she is currently favored by management, good for her. But it also means that corporate could take a look, find reason to be upset, and suddenly force her to do other responsibilities as required of her position or force her to stand down.

Personally, I would lodge a formal complaint with HR/management about the two cojerkers complaining about B. Complain specifically about the insults, the constant negativity, and the attempts to force B to do things she cannot physically do. List examples if you can. Avoid mention of any favoritism (true or not) that B receives (such as B not working closing shifts). When I worked retail, it was important to be the first person to complain so that it didn't appear you were making things up in retaliation. Good luck to both you and B.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

^^This. All of it. If the two mean co-workers were to make a complaint to corporate, there's a good chance corporate would side with them and start demanding the closing shifts and such from S. They could forget about the ADA and all that and come down on the side of "fairness," which as we all know wouldn't be fair at all.

I'd encourage you or S to call HR if possible ASAP. If HR hears from either one of you first, they'll look at it as an employee being ostracized and harassed for having a disability. If the two mean co-workers go to HR first, they'll look at it as somebody getting preferential treatment for no good reason. S's disability either won't be mentioned or will be downplayed significantly.
                Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-17-2011, 07:18 PM.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

they want her shift. simple as that

Comment

Quoth flyingember View Post
                    they want her shift. simple as that
                    That's it exactly! You hit the nail on the head!

Comment

Working...
                    X