Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We do it according to who asked first. There's a form we have to use, which we email to the admin person. That proves whose request got in first.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.

Thunderdome
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

First $20 gets the vacation time.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          Who asked first? That's who you give it to.
          That's what I was going to say.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

If the requests were made on different days then it should go to the person who requested it first if they were made on the same date (time of day is more dependant on when they were scheduled and what they had to do at work then planning or such on the employee's part and I for one am sick of morning shifts getting scheduling preference because they come in earlier since we can only put requests in a certain amount in advance) then figure out why they want the request and give it to the person who has a more time sensitive reason (doctor's appointments can usually be rescheduled, your sister's graduation cannot) and talk to the other person about selecting a different day and do your best to make sure that they get something worked out.

Comment

Quoth DrFaroohk View Post
              So if it comes down to who asked first, throw this in there:

Employee A left a note for the boss as he got off shift one night.

Employee B was in with the boss first thing in the morning, and asked before the boss read the note.

Who asked first? Employee B asked first, but Employee A wrote the note first.
              Employee B. Face-to-face beats a note which can be thrown away by accident or overlooked, IMO.

If I were the manager and I told B he could have the day off, I'm not going to call him back in and tell him he can't because of the note A left me. I believe if it's vitally important you get a day off, you should speak with the manager. It's just more personal.
              Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-31-2010, 11:30 PM.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Skeksin View Post
                Thunderdome
                Two men enter, one man leaves! Of course they were sexist..who said it had two men????
                Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I believe if it's vitally important you get a day off, you should speak with the manager. It's just more personal.
                  So, because B was scheduled but A was not (or was at, say, school or a second job), then B gets preferential treatment?

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The problem I have with notes is they can be easily misplaced. A manager's desk can be an unkempt place. I personally have had notes I left lost or overlooked until it was too late to act on them. I can leave a note on my manager's desk, and it gets covered up by memos or whatever paperwork happens to be left there. I feel it's better to speak with somebody in person if possible, even if it has to be done ridiculously in advance.

And it all depends on what comes first--A speaking to the manager or B's note being read. Like I said before, if A speaks to me and I approve his time off before I get to B's note, I'm not going to tell A he can't have his time off after all, even though B left his note first.

It's not preferential treatment; it's just that I got the message from A first. If I get B's note first, then B gets the time off. The timing of when I hear it from whom matters.
                    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'd say A. Cos A really did ask first.

actually my first instinct was wondering if B knew that A had left a note and had tried to get to the boss before the note was read.

as for the "note vs in-person" debate, there cannot be a clear ruling on which should get preferential treatment because we don't know all of the circumstances of the time-off requests or how the shifts are. just as there are those who feel face-to-face means more effort, there are also valid reasons to support leaving a note as well

though, the suggestion of having people ask via email ... that one i like. cos that way you can tell who asked first and you have a "paper trail" for all the pertinent facts.

Comment

Bosslady has to deal with this sort of situation every so often when the sales clerks want the same time off. We've only got 3. Sometimes she'll go to them to see if one of them is willing to allow the other to take it.

Otherwise, written requests (which always go to the same place, so the whole "but notes get lost" argument is completely invalid) on the standard form trump other methods.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would say Employee A, since they did technically ask first. And I agree with PepperElf on the note vs. speaking to the manager in person debate.

Where I work we have to fill out a form requesting time off, and be done 30 days in advance (barring emergencies). We put the forms in our Supervisor's mailbox, he either approves or denies the request. If he approves the request it's faxed to our main office for the Office Manager for final approval.

Comment

The clear answer is neither. Force both to work mandatory overtime.

Suckas!
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                            X