Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age discrimination or just mean co-workers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age discrimination or just mean co-workers?

I want to know what you think of this situation.

There is a 65 year co-worker, I will call her S, that has been working for the company for 25 years. She is a supervisor and basically deals with the book keeping and making sure all associates files have up to date and correct information. She works 5 days a week with the same morning shift because that is the time we need to start the book keeping. It has been this way for the 9 years she has worked at this store.

When I first started almost 7 years ago she taught me most of what I know. She was also a key holder but many managers later she was asked to step down from that because she didn't close the store and they needed to give it to somebody else that would close the store. So now she is one of the 5 supervisors in the store.

Now I have two co-workers (also supervisors) that think S needs to close the store two nights a week like the rest of us. I say no she doesn't cause the rest of us are supervisors of floor departments and she is needed for the morning book keeping. Plus she is 65 with health problems and cleaning up a messy store would take her a long time.

But these two co-workers are quite cruel about it. They say that they don't care how old she is and what is wrong with her. She should close two nights a week like the rest of us. They also think she takes too long to finish the book keeping. OK now these two associates are not trained for the book keeping and I am so I know that sometimes it takes longer then expected to finish counting tills and setting up new ones.

These two co-workers just verbally beat up S all the time that it makes me mad.

S had open heart surgery 10 years ago and her other health problems make her walk a little slower than the rest of us. And her sister has breast cancer and that stresses her out and makes her look even more tired. But she can and still does her job correctly.

The other day she was doing some floor work because she was done with her office work and the manager told her that could wheel the fixture she was working on to the office and sit down while working on it and my co-worker flipped out about it to me. She went on to say that S is getting special treatment and that is age discrimination. And that it is not her fault S made bad decisions in life. (she means the fact that S can't retire yet and that she didn't pick a better job years ago )

I would be interested in what you all think.

I think your co-jerkers need to remember that THEY will be 65 someday (maybe)
    and think about how THEY would feel being spoken of like that.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

S's primary job is as bookkeeper. This means her schedule will be arranged around the needs of her job.

Making allowances for health limitations is *not* discrimination. It's actually specifically referenced in the ADA, IIRC.

Your coworkers are idiots.

Comment

Americans with Disabilities Act. Those CWs could be trying to get their workplace to violate some pieces of it, and leave the workplace open to lawsuit. Might be worth having a manager look into that, and then mention to them that encouraging illegal actions is cause for termination.

Comment

I'd like to know what upper management thinks, assuming there is any.

Sounds like the two younger supervisors are classless assholes who are just griping because they actually have to do work. If management's going along with them, then there's a good case for an ADA violation.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
            And that it is not her fault S made bad decisions in life. (she means the fact that S can't retire yet and that she didn't pick a better job years ago )
            I can only hope that someday someone says that about them.
            I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              I'd like to know what upper management thinks, assuming there is any.

Sounds like the two younger supervisors are classless assholes who are just griping because they actually have to do work. If management's going along with them, then there's a good case for an ADA violation.

So far I have not went to management about it. But if they don't stop bitching about it I will. Try working with them cause this is tame compared to the other stuff they complain about.

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
              I can only hope that someday someone says that about them.

See they think that they are better cause one has well off parents and the other graduated from college.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 01-13-2011, 12:43 PM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

Everyone here has pretty much already hit the nail on the head. Those coworkers of yours are jerks who are on the verge of committing violations of the ADA.

As far as I can tell, though, S's age and health are actually irrelevant to the situation: her first job is bookkeeping, and the schedule is shows it.

Also, who are these two to make any sort of demand about other people's schedules? If for no other reason than seniority at the workplace (not her age), S has earned the right to a preferential schedule. If they don't think it's fair, invite them to find employment in a more equitable establishment.

After all, they're young enough to go find better employment elsewhere and not risk getting stuck there for the rest of their careers, right?
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

All of the above.

Where I work there is a lovely lady, we'll call her B, who has been with the company for nearly 20 years. She has inoperable cancer, in the base of her spine mainly but it has spread to other places. She prefers to be at work, doing a job she likes and being with her friends, to sitting at home and waiting for the end.
                  Everyone, management included, knows that there are some jobs she can't do and sometimes she needs a little longer break than the rest of us. Nobody has a problem with that.
                  Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I also think your co-workers are spoiled, entitled babies, and that the A. D. A. would be an effective weapon against their babyishness.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I think they are being mean, and trying to use discrimination as a way of trying to justify their mean comments. If S is needed in the mornings for book keeping procedures, then why should she stay late to close?

Mean people!

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
                        See they think that they are better cause one has well off parents and the other graduated from college.
                        So.....their parent's could cut them off and not everyone gets good jobs after getting a degree sadly. So it could still work, come on don't crush my dreams.
                        I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                          S's primary job is as bookkeeper. This means her schedule will be arranged around the needs of her job.

Making allowances for health limitations is *not* discrimination. It's actually specifically referenced in the ADA, IIRC.

Your coworkers are idiots.
                          Yep. This. Tell them to STFU.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

...Well, waaaah.

Let's for a moment pretend that age isn't a factor. How much jerkier does that make the co-workers? Cross out every reference to age in the OP, and you have two twits picking on a woman with a heart condition for not taking on more strenuous tasks - a woman, I might add, who probably has towering seniority over the both of them.

Bravo.

Love, Who?

Comment

No matter what is fair, people will always complain that things are unfair. How come <insert person of the day> gets <unfair allowance of the day> and I always get shafted? My life sucks and managers/co-workers are to blame and not my workethic or perspective on life.

/sigh
                              Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X