This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work is hell

I was going to include this in my customer rant, but it doesn't really belong there and it's a little quieter here.

I am drowning in work. I came back from holiday last week and I haven't had an easy case since. (I thought I had 2 but both had problems when I added my notes to our case recording system, one doesn't match with other information from the customer who probably didn't understand because of language problems so I'm having to track him down and the other has incorrect notes on the system which need to be removed).

We are at risk of redundancies because of huge cuts in funding. I am both potentially at risk and one half of a union representative so this is adding so much stress to my life it is unbelievable.

I am struggling with depression, and keep getting behind at work. My manager has so far ignored hints that I might need a bit of allowance made, I can insist but if I cut down my workload that is one of the things potentially looked at for deciding on redundancy criteria....

I guess if things get much worse I need to see a doctor. If the doctor certified I needed extra time etc. I don't think they could use that against me for redundancy because of discrimination rules. I'd really rather not have certificates about this on my file though...

On the plus side I felt positive for the first time in ages this evening. I'm going to write a self-help book, "Beat depression with flat pack furniture". After work I assembled my new Ikea sofa and I felt so pleased with myself. My mother classifies me as an anti-social Amish type (lone barn raising).

Victoria J

I love Ikea furniture! It is so satisfying to put together. I really like building things in general, but I prefer Ikea to building it myself 'cause the finished product is far beyond my crafting skill.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
      On the plus side I felt positive for the first time in ages this evening. I'm going to write a self-help book, "Beat depression with flat pack furniture". After work I assembled my new Ikea sofa and I felt so pleased with myself.
      might I suggest a hobby that includes putting things together? It seems to give most people a sense of accomplishment, and with depression that can make a world of difference. It's one of the reasons my husband has so many lego sets(lego star wars), and why I used to assemble model cars. and they make model everything nowadays....
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I've written a great deal about beating depression, over the time I've been here. However, a sense of accomplishment is a great boost.

Your particular job doesn't always offer that - sure, some of your clients, you can help and then they walk out of your life no longer needing you. Which is EXACTLY what you hope for - but it means you only get a sense of accomplishment with them the once.

The clients who keep coming back and coming back and never put their part in... yeah. No sense of accomplishment there.

So you need to build accomplishment into your life in some other way. Volunteer work of a sort where you can stand back and look at something finished. Or, since you love the flatpack ikea, making things. As people suggested, model stuff. Or fabric work, or fibre work (eg knitting, lacemaking). Accomplishments.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Let's see... model building, legos, knitting/crocheting (if you don't necessarily like scarves or blankets or hats or what have you, donate them?) volunteer to build for things like Habitat for Humanity? Those "barn raisings" are a lot of fun and I always come away feeling tired but happy.

Comment

Re knitting/crocheting: animal shelters always need blankets for the animals. Charity shops are often getting donations of peoples' unused yarn. Animals don't care if their blankets are multicoloured.

Very cheap hobby + useful donation in one.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I suffer from depression too, and have found jigsaws to be really good at keeping me focused. If I'm in a funk, and can't focus whilst watching a film, I do 1000 piece jigsaws whilst the film is on. I get to relax and watch the picture come together. I have been known to do 500+ piece jigsaws of baked beans before now.
              I always take a picture of the finished jigsaw, even if there are pieces missing and it makes me feel good :-)

Maybe you could try something like that Victoria? It's calm, fairly cheap, warm, and you can pick it up whenever you fancy it

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Re knitting/crocheting: animal shelters always need blankets for the animals. Charity shops are often getting donations of peoples' unused yarn. Animals don't care if their blankets are multicoloured.

Very cheap hobby + useful donation in one.
                and granny squares go really fast, and are small portable projects that you stockpile until you get enough to make a whole project =)
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I do logic problems, number puzzles, or, alternately, games that require no thought and listen to music, myself.

Not particularly productive, but can be relaxing to just not really think about anything important at all for a while.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X