This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Ridiculous, Corporate, Part whatever

Aid of Rite is now requiring uniforms. And not the "uniforms" of the past where we basically have an ugly blue smock and can wear whatever we want so long as it's clean, neat, not ripped, torn or stained, not jeans, not offensive, no extensive piercings, tattoos and it's presentable.

Aid of Rite is requiring outfits similar to what "Market of the Waltons" and "Better Purchase" have. Khaki pants and blue polo. However. We have to pay for the uniform out of our own pocket without reimbursement. And. MUST wear black dress shoes. Sneakers are officially banned.

So, now I have to spend what pittance I make as a cashier (the less than $8 an hour I make and I'm one of the highest paid cashiers there) on at least 2 pairs of pants, the ugly blue shirts and somehow locate, purchase and cram my duck-like feet into shoes that offer little to no support when I am standing on my feet for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'd much rather spend my tax return on business clothes, not clothes for a company that I despise.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Check your local labour laws. That may not be allowed. Here, if a uniform is required, the employer has to provide it.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the uniform will be tax deductible, though taxguycarl can tell you for sure.

I recommend investing in some good insoles. I'll ask my cousin what kind he got, but he works for UPS and he bought insoles that dramatically reduced his issues with walking and standing all day. They can be a bit pricey, but are well worth the investment IMO.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

OK, it sucks, but I have a shoe solution for you. Get men's dress shoes (they're wider) and Walkfit orthotics. Seriously. I started on them when I was working 14 hours a day. Best $19 I ever spent. I don't wear tennis shoes, either--though we're allowed--because I don't like them. I wear loafers that would not give enough support without my Walkfits. They last me a year or two usually. As for khakis, I'd just go to a thrift store. That probably goes for shirts, too, although "Market of the Waltons" (made me giggle) probably has them cheap. I have to buy my work clothes, too, and my tax guy says I don't spend enough to get a deduction.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Compression hose/socks are fantastic. My favorite brand is Jobst thigh high. I got them on Amazon for $30/pair, but they've held up VERY well with handwashing. My feet aren't tired, even after multiple days in a row.

Comment

Unfortunately for me, it's perfectly legal. *sigh*
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

That sucks, ralerin. You have my sympathies.

Comment

I got all my clothes for the Olive Garden from thrift stores. I had to wear black pants and white dress shirts (which I always thought was asinine, considering all the tomato gravy getting slung around). But anyways, I literally got an armload of nice dress shirts for two dollars and less each.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  I got all my clothes for the Olive Garden from thrift stores. I had to wear black pants and white dress shirts (which I always thought was asinine, considering all the tomato gravy getting slung around). But anyways, I literally got an armload of nice dress shirts for two dollars and less each.
                  I second this, while i've spent a bit more for work and play there, $5/shirt at Goodwill has netted me some very nice work clothes.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Definitely do the thrift store idea...there is no reason why you should have to pay any more than you have to.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

For the polo shirts, if you find some nice ones that are a bit faded, you can dye the lot pretty cheaply.

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
                        and somehow locate, purchase and cram my duck-like feet into shoes that offer little to no support when I am standing on my feet for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'd much rather spend my tax return on business clothes, not clothes for a company that I despise.
                        my suggestions for footwear are a bit pricey but worth it,
                        Doc Martin's(designed in the 40's for people with foot problems, by Dr. Martin)
                        Birkenstocks(Handmade German shoes, insoles made of cork, very comfy after broken in, they are shaped like a foot, not an even rounded toe section)
                        earthshoes(designed after impressions in the sand)

all three are "dress shoes", made with insoles to fit your feet and give more support than sneakers, and all three will easily last 3-5 years+(I've had a pair of doc martin's that are in almost perfect shape after 7 years), and will easily transition to "office footwear"

I'm on my feet in the lab for 8-12 hours a day, I wear Birkenstocks, I used to wear cheap sneakers and after 8 hours could barely walk, now I can still run errands on foot after 10 hours on my feet.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I wear Hush Puppies at work, they are not cheap but they are very comfortable, look smart and I know they do wide fittings if you need them.
                          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

If you're looking for good shoes at a great price, sign up for Shoebuy.com's private events email. They send one to two emails a week, and the items (not just shoes) are usually on clearance for at least 50% off. I've been able to buy some really good Easy Spirit, Hush Puppies, Walking Cradles (oh, so comfy), Naturalizer, etc. shoes for $40 or less a pair. The shipping is often free, but it depends, but the shipping has been under $5 when they charged it. They're usually clearing out the previous season, so right now mostly winter shoes and boots are showing up.
                            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                            HR believes the first person in the door
                            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                            Document everything
                            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I wear inexpensive, un-special shoes. I can get away with it 'cause of my Walkfits. (I don't work for them, really! )
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X