X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another useless 911 call

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/lo...wrong-1.318203

Person gets the "wrong sauce" on her Subway pizza and proceeds to call 911. Gets slapped in handcuffs for a little while until bailed out.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

"Hall was jailed for three minutes Thursday night before being released on a $2,000 unsecured bond."

THREE minutes? Three hours would have been more appropriate.

UNSECURED BOND? Yeah, I see her not showing up for court and the police having to arrest her all over again. What a waste of time and money!

Comment

didn't that mean she had to pay 2000? that doesn't sound like a waste of time and money for the city to me.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        didn't that mean she had to pay 2000? that doesn't sound like a waste of time and money for the city to me.
        Does she pay the full $2000 or just 10%?

Comment

Correct -- Unsecured means that she doesn't have to pay up front; she signs a contract promising to appear on Day X at Y time, and will only have to pay the bond (plus penalties) if she fails to appear and they have to go get her (which will likely mean additional fines). The 10% applies if they go through a Bail Bondsman instead, and they will usually require collateral (normally for secured bonds iirc)
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Correct -- Unsecured means that she doesn't have to pay up front; she signs a contract promising to appear on Day X at Y time, and will only have to pay the bond (plus penalties) if she fails to appear and they have to go get her (which will likely mean additional fines). The 10% applies if they go through a Bail Bondsman instead, and they will usually require collateral (normally for secured bonds iirc)
            Good info to know if I should ever need it . . . but there again it would depend on the charge, I would think.

Please don't anyone ask me what they're smoking down here . . . they seem to breed a special kinda stupid. All I know is that whatever it is, I don't want any!
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

1. A wrong sandwich is NOT a 911 emergency. 911 is for situations where someone's health, life, or property is threatened, not for trivial shit like this.

2 There's more to this than is being reported, I'm certain. I'm betting she or her mother (I'm assuming that's the woman 'screaming in the background') threw some childish tantrum and they were asked to leave. I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that wouldn't fix a wrong order if POLITELY (or at least civilly) informed/asked.... and if you have a problem with your order and the restaurant won't make good on it, that's what managers and/or the corporate office is for - NOT 911.

I hope they throw the book at her. There's no excuse for shit like this.

My recommendations:
              48 hours incarceration for abuse of the 911 system, if it's her first offense. Double that if she's been in trouble before.
              An additional 48 hours incarceration if there's a 'public disturbance' charge in this mess.
              All served consecutively.
              Last edited by ADeMartino; 05-13-2014, 08:40 PM.

Comment

TLC has a show for just that kind of call: Outrageous 911.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Given that these happen with some regularity, and are mocked on news outlets with some regularity, I'm amazed that the message still doesn't get through that 911 isn't for wrong orders at the sandwich shop.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                    1. A wrong sandwich is NOT a 911 emergency. 911 is for situations where someone's health, life, or property is threatened, not for trivial shit like this.
                    In and of itself, it isn't. The consequences, however, could be - e.g. tomatoes on Mathnerd's sandwich.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      In and of itself, it isn't. The consequences, however, could be - e.g. tomatoes on Mathnerd's sandwich.
                      An allergic reaction is a medical situation, and ONLY if Mathnerd were to actually eat the sandwich. There's a world of difference between 'boo hoo hoo I didn't get my way and I'll call the police to come and make the mean restaurant employees make me a new sandwich' and 'OMIGOD I ATE SOMETHING I'M ALLERGIC TO, SEND THE AMBULANCE RIGHT NOW.' In the latter case, a 'new sandwich' would be awfully low on the list of immediate concerns.

Comment

DGC: Yes. It can vary by charge, by prior record (if any) by the Accused's attitude/respect or lack thereof, by the judge and how he's feeling that day, moon phase, etc etc etc...But, officially, it's the first one that's important. A judge has leeway based upon whether they feel that the Accused is a potential threat to others, or is a flight risk, when deciding if they're gonna set a bond at all. I do get the occasional one where someone who is up before a judge for half a dozen charges of "Failure to appear/Bond jumping" gets to pay a bond instead of having to stew in jail until their trial date...>_> Don't ask me to try and explain those.

I deal with the mugshots at the paper here, and I honestly do not recall ever seeing a "$0 bond" (meaning, remanded to police custody/no bail) on a misdemeanor, and it's fairly rare on Felonies, as well. Generally reserved for the nastier ones, tho they can also set absurd bond amounts for those -- so high that paying a bail bonds company would be difficult at best (as in $1 million+). Remember, if you go through a bail bondsman, you don't get that 10% of the bond amount back. It's their fee for fronting the original bond amount; it's essentially a loan.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                          An allergic reaction is a medical situation, and ONLY if Mathnerd were to actually eat the sandwich. There's a world of difference between 'boo hoo hoo I didn't get my way and I'll call the police to come and make the mean restaurant employees make me a new sandwich' and 'OMIGOD I ATE SOMETHING I'M ALLERGIC TO, SEND THE AMBULANCE RIGHT NOW.' In the latter case, a 'new sandwich' would be awfully low on the list of immediate concerns.
                          Actually, skin contact is enough to trigger anaphylaxis. I believe Jester's told that story here a time or two. Granted, I didn't call rescue that time because overall the reaction was minor, but still required an epipen (bad, I know...you're supposed to call rescue every time you use it, but I get tired of hospitals and will self monitor. My rule is if I use the second epipen, call rescue). But he has had to call rescue for me, for a time when I actually ingested a trace amount.

In essence, if I opened a sandwich that had tomatoes on it, I could potentially be dealing with a life threatening situation; however, since I am not an SC, I would't be calling 911 unless a reaction was actually taking place.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                            In essence, if I opened a sandwich that had tomatoes on it, I could potentially be dealing with a life threatening situation; however, since I am not an SC, I would't be calling 911 unless a reaction was actually taking place.
                            You're right, I realized AFTER I'd posted my response that an allergic reaction can be triggered by contact. I was just pointing out that if there had been an allergic reaction going on in the story, they'd have been screaming for an ambulance, not for someone to come and 'enforce' the customer's demand for a new sandwich.

And I'm hip to that 'tired of hospitals' thing. I avoid them like the plague.

Comment

Working...
                            X