This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make my games love me again?

OK: so any time I do any graphics heavy anything (games, Netflix, DVDs), my computer does fine for 15-30 minutes, then I either get a BSOD or I get thin stripes of red/orange/yellow/black/brown and a repetition of the last two syllables that went through. I just updated my graphics drivers and its still doing it.

SO! Should I get a new graphics card (which has not been changed since I bought the computer in 2009), do I have a power supply issue (same), what is wrong?

Tell me what you need to be able to help me help you help me.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

It could be a overheating issue. Make sure the graphics card and the processor is dust-free, and all the fans are working. Maybe try running with the PC open for maximum airflow to see if heat is an issue.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Ok, that seems to be working. Thanks!

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
        Ok, that seems to be working. Thanks!
        If you're running it open now, you may want to start thinking about a new machine. I use a big case with big fans for my gaming rig. It looks mostly empty inside, but the space helps let the fans work. Space and airflow are your friends for a gaming rig that will last.

Here's my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119194
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

And now my games keep freezing at odd intervals. Help?

Comment

That, too, sounds like overheating. Use some canned air if you haven't already, on both the video card's fans and all of the ones in the computer itself, including the power supply. If it has air filters you can get to, dust them off, as well. If you have a way to tie up any loose cables (zip ties work well, or even just rubber bands) to improve airflow, that could help.

Maybe an imbalance in air coming in vs going out could be the culprit as well, but my guess is that that would have caused problems long ago.

It could also be that the vid card is simply going kaput. If you have another card you can test with, try it out.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My tower only has two fans, and I've hit them both with canned air.

Would pointing a fan into the tower help? (How much are video cards?)

Comment

You never want to have all your fans blowing only inside or outside. Ideally you want to establish a proper airflow which will offer optimal cooling for an air cooled system. The most reliable method for this is any front fans should all be orientated in the same direction, usually toward the back. This means any fans in the front blow inside the case and any fans at the back blow out of the case.

Now, when you say you only have two fans, are you including all the component fans as well? The CPU, video card, and power supply all have fans and are all critical to cooling as well. Check those while you're at it.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

If desperate, decent cheap vid cards (those that came out 2-3 years ago or more) can be had for about forty or fifty bucks online via a site like Newegg. Just check the specifications first to make sure it'll fit in your system properly. If such a card is an improvement over what you have, so much the better.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

(At work right now, so I can't see my computer) As far as I know, the tower has two fans, one in the back, and one on the side. The fans are at a 45 degree angle to each other. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Comment

( how do I add a picture?)

Comment

Have you tried updating the graphics software? Might help

Comment

Here is a pic of the inside of my tower.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                            Have you tried updating the graphics software? Might help
                            I updated the drivers. Is that the same thing? (assume I know nothing)

Comment

I'm not very computer smart either but yeah drivers = software

Comment

Working...
                              X