This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm Earth, have we met?

This phone call took all of twenty seconds and has irrevocably wounded my faith in humanity. Perfectly polite, nice lady, but...ugh.

Me: "Newsroom."
    Woman: "Yes, I'm online and I'm trying to find a story ya'll did."
    Me: "Okay, when did it run?"
    Woman: "Back around September."
    Me: "Okay. Are you on our website?"
    Woman: "Yeah, but I can't find anything on there to do any kind of search like that."
    Me: *pause* "Did...you click on the button that says 'archives'?"
    Woman: "...OH! Thank you!" *hangs up*
    Me:
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

I actually done things like that woman did. I could be looking at something, and don't even think about it....Call in, and low and behold, it was, what I was looking at And for the record, I am not lame
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

haha reminds me of the time my net was not working. I finlly call tech support and the first thing they say is 'did you try resetting your router?' silence on my part for a few moments followed by 'duh' a quick thank you and a hang up. Whenever i call for help its always something i know but forgot. I told one tech guy to forget i called for such a simple problem lol
      Fan? This is shit. Shit? Meet fan.

Comment

Thanks Mysty, thanks, your title had me in stitches, you almost made me wake up my bf :P
        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
          This phone call took all of twenty seconds and has irrevocably wounded my faith in humanity. Perfectly polite, nice lady, but...ugh.

Me: "Newsroom."
          Woman: "Yes, I'm online and I'm trying to find a story ya'll did."
          Me: "Okay, when did it run?"
          Woman: "Back around September."
          Me: "Okay. Are you on our website?"
          Woman: "Yeah, but I can't find anything on there to do any kind of search like that."
          Me: *pause* "Did...you click on the button that says 'archives'?"
          Woman: "...OH! Thank you!" *hangs up*
          Me:
          those fools still cant find that any key?

Comment

Quoth yahurd View Post
            those fools still cant find that any key?
            They must have had to ditch their old compaq computer.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

In all fairness, I tend to get into these situations when I call tech support for my photo lab.

We've got a couple of $40,000 processing machines, and each is accompanied by a manual that must have cost just as much (i.e., take three phone books and stack them on top of each other; now for the other manual....). Each machine has several billion parts, any one of which will break more or less routinely every 14-16 days or so.

And when (not if) the machine breaks down, you have two options:
              • Call tech support, wait a few hours for the tech to call back. Then wait as much as a week and a half for dispatch to send a field tech to fix the problem (if necessary).
              • Fix it yourself.

It's gotten to the point where the machine breaking down is not a crisis; it is an annoyance. Time to take that damn thing apart again and put it back together.

But I was never formally trained to service these machines, you see. So I don't really have the mindset of a troubleshooter, per se. I have a reasonably good idea of how each section of the machine works, and as long as less than 6 (or so) sub-sections are involved, I can work my way through it and figure it out.

But for everything else, it's tech support time. And 9 times out of 10 when I call tech support, it's something really simple (for the trained tech) that just would never have occurred to (untrained) me.

But it doesn't bother me too much because I know that every time I call tech support, I've already fixed at least 6 or 7 problems since the last call.

It's just that the easy ones give me a hard time....
              Last edited by pbmods; 01-10-2007, 02:16 AM.
              "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
              -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Working...
              X