This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke is bad, mmkay?

Because of this call, I now have the weirdest story ever heard at work. There are people who have been there for twenty years, and still have nothing quite this weird.

Background: I work at a call center doing tech support. All I support are four very specific anti-virus programs that are only available when you have a specific ISP. That's it. We don't even support the other programs made by the same company. We also just launched the newest versions of the programs, with an entirely new look and feel. We've been swamped for the past two weeks.

The cast:
    N: Me, the Nekoro
    CL: Crazy lady

The story:
    A woman calls in for help getting the virus protection back on her computer. She tells me that her computer has crashed four times in the past week and she's had to use the recovery disks to be able to use her computer. The techs who keep getting the computer running again don't seem to care that it keeps crashing. Bear in mind, if I'm making her sound coherent, I'm telling it wrong.

At first, it seems like an easy fix. Every time the compy crashes, she just loads the software right back on. She's never removed the software before, even to upgrade, she just installed over the old stuff. So, we run a removal tool, and start putting the programs back on. It takes about 45 minutes because she sucks at following directions. Just as we're loading the stuff back on her computer, the following conversation takes place. It's not verbatim, but you'll get the idea.

CL: Hey, while I've got you here, I have a question. You might not be able to help though.
    N: Go ahead, and we'll see if I can.
    CL: Well, my fan keeps going on, and I want it to stop before it causes problems.
    N: You're computer fan?
    CL: Yeah.
    N: *chuckling silently to myself* Actually, that's a good thing. You want that to come on. It keeps the computer from overheating *Go through a brief explanation of why the fan runs* What is bad is if the screen starts flickering, or you see-
    CL: That's been happening a lot!
    N: I'd say you need to take that in then. It means there's a problem with your computer. Now it's really bad if you see smoke or sparks.
    CL: You know, I've been having those for a while.
    N: How long have you had your computer?
    CL: About three months. I've been getting smoke for a long time too.
    N: Okay, take that in ASAP. When you've called after the computer crashed, did you tell them about this?
    CL: No. Should I?
    N: Ma'am, I promise, if you tell them about this, they will take you seriously.
    CL: Okay. Should I unplug the computer?
    N: Yes. Yes you should.

Unplug the computer? Are you serious, ma'am? No, leave it plugged in, watch it melt into a puddle of circuitry and shoddy plastic. It's more fun than watching paint dry.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I guess she figured that since smoke poured out of her ears if she had to ponder anything harder than breathing, that the computer must be the same way.

Comment

Well, that stupidity made my head hurt.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Oh, you have to submit that one to computer stupidities. I haven't seen a new smoke story in a while.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I give her this much credit: At least she came up with the idea of unplugging it all on her own, even if she had to get confirmation from the tech.
            "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
            -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

**ERP** **POP** **fizzle**

This is one of those posts that should come with a warning about how many brain cells one may expect to lose when reading. You see, I don't have too many left and I need a warning!
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Moved to unsupportable, though a darned fine tale.

Rapscallion

Comment

Reminds me of one call a co-worker took (at my previous employer.)

SM = Store Manager (did you think something else?)
                  CW = co worker

SM: There's smoke coming from my number 3 register.
                  CW: Turn it off.
                  SM: But I haven't closed it yet.
                  CW: Turn. It. OFF.
                  SM: But there's still money in the drawer.
                  CW: TURN IT OFF.
                  SM: But I'm still logged in!
                  CW: TURN IT OFF!!!!!
                  SM: Okay, but if my DM comes down on me, I'm blaming YOU!

One wonders what the DM would have said if the register caught fire and burned down the store?
                  I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

If you let the magic smoke out the computer stops working.
                    ludo ergo sum

Comment

Working...
                    X