New devices on old TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New devices on old TV

I bought my TV used several years ago. It works perfectly, and a new TV might not be compatible with my older devices, which is why I won't buy a new one until it becomes necessary.

This TV doesn't do well with newer DVDs, in terms of sound. It just doesn't have the kind of speakers necessary for the newer sound types. The other day, I bought a cheap soundbar with a 3.5 mm plug (as well as a USB plug; the cord is split into two endings). I plugged it into the back of the TV...

...and the plug didn't go in all the way.

I plugged it into the headphone plug on the front of the TV. It fits. The only thing is, it doesn't make a difference. The sound still comes out of the TV speakers.

So. Do I need a converter plug for the back of the TV, and if so, what kind? Or should I plug the soundbar into the DVD player (or media player)? I'm baffled.

Depending on the TV's settings, plugging in headphones may not automatically disable the speakers; check the TV's settings to see if there's a separate option. This is often done so that the hard of hearing can use headphones with a different volume setting to those listening to the speakers directly.

The plug not going all the way in does suggest that it may not be meant for a headphone socket though... Check the manual to be sure that's the correct socket type; if it is, then that may not be a sound output on the back of the TV anyway.

You can plug it into the other devices but if you do that, you'll only benefit from it when using those devices.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

It does go in all the way when I plug it into the headphone jack. It's in the back that it doesn't fit completely. I don't know if the plug is too long, or if there's another issue.

I looked on the back of my other devices, and the media player has an HDMI plug, which makes it the only device with that plug. Maybe I can buy an HDMI/USB converter - but that doesn't mean it'll have the desired effect.

To make things clearer, the TV has three SCART connectors on the back. All my A/V devices also have SCART. The TV has no HDMI, let alone USB, connections. The back of the TV contains a coaxial plug and several other plugs, two of which are for audio.

Comment

Do you have a stereo with inputs? You could try feeding the audio straight from your devices to the stereo.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I do have a stereo, but when I looked at it, I realized that it was even older than the TV, and doesn't have the inputs that I need. Hmmmm.

Comment

Working...
          X