Go Back   Customers Suck! > Site News > Site News

Old 12-19-2020, 10:50 PM
Free roaming pony

I think it depends on the browser you're using. I've been using an Arch based distro, but for right now I'm trying out an Ubuntu one, the notable thing is that Ubuntu is on Firefox 76 while Arch is on Firefox 84. The Ubuntu one is very, very heavy on ads, at least twice as much as I was seeing on Arch, both with the same settings and addons on Firefox via FirefoxSync.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:22 AM
Hooty Hoo!

Hey, all, PrplPplEater has been looking into it and decided to just nuke ads on the site completely, as Google apparently just doesn't really let you have any significant control over them. Please let us know in here either way, as we wanna make sure the new settings actually work as intended (meaning, no ads, period).

"I have always thought that when customers tell you 'Im never shopping here again,' they view that as a threat, we hear it as a promise, but it always turns out to be a lie." ~ 'AdoptsDEATHsCats', reddit
Acts of Gord Read it, Learn it, Love it!
"Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Old 12-21-2020, 11:24 PM
Free roaming pony

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Hey, all, PrplPplEater has been looking into it and decided to just nuke ads on the site completely, as Google apparently just doesn't really let you have any significant control over them. Please let us know in here either way, as we wanna make sure the new settings actually work as intended (meaning, no ads, period).
Not seeing any at the moment, but I can't say I'm surprised by the news about Google, TechDirt certainly has nothing good to say about them.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:13 PM
Chief minion of the Ogrelord

Are you going to be looking into alternative methods of financing this site? I don't know if this is an appropriate question, but how much does it cost per year to keep this forum up and running? I'm in a spot where I can probably help with that, and possibly others are too.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:40 PM
Hooty Hoo!

I'll ask PPE about it. Thanks!

"I have always thought that when customers tell you 'Im never shopping here again,' they view that as a threat, we hear it as a promise, but it always turns out to be a lie." ~ 'AdoptsDEATHsCats', reddit
Acts of Gord Read it, Learn it, Love it!
"Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Old 02-20-2021, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Quoth Kittish View Post
Are you going to be looking into alternative methods of financing this site? I don't know if this is an appropriate question, but how much does it cost per year to keep this forum up and running? I'm in a spot where I can probably help with that, and possibly others are too.

I appreciate it, truly, but this site doesn't require financing; everything is covered by the other site I own (www.dawgtalkers.net). The ads there actually cover all of the datacenter fees for the dedicated server I own that it, and this site, lives on. Because of that site, this site actually has no cost at all to run it aside from any outlay I have for when I upgrade the forum software - which I haven't forgotten about. Life has a couple of things ahead of that when it comes to my extra spending, but the forum upgrade IS in the plans