Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Pluperfect Transaction: finished before you started, right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pluperfect Transaction: finished before you started, right?

The word Pluperfect is a linguistic term meaning a word designating an action that has already taken place. It derives from the latin Plus Perfectum, literally meaning more than perfect. It is the attempted basis of many an SC Jedi Mind Trick to try to hasten the transaction by speaking in an already-finished-right? tense.

So anyway, a woman comes in complaining of a shimmy but only at freeway speed. Naturally, she parked in the way, and assumed we all had nothing better to do than hop right in her car and fix it all Johnny-On-The-Spot. We got her and her boyfriend out of the way and finished the tasks we were in the middle of, and 10 minutes later a tech and I went on a test drive. At 60mph, there was a rather subtle vibration in the rear. So we drive back to the shop, and the lady and her boyfriend are standing at the edge of the park anxiously. Before we even stop rolling, they both walk over to the car as if to get in and leave; she says to the closed driver window, SO WHAT WAS IT?

Okay, Maam. We just got back from the test drive and confirmed the symptom. This is the part where we pull the car into the shop and lift it and examine the vehicle. When we find the problem, we'll come right over and let you know.

She stood still (in the way) for a minute, while the cows in her head mooed plaintively. She started slowly, dejectedly walking back toward the park, then turned back around and said, ".... 'Cause we weren't planning to come in now." I stopped, turned around and regarded her for a moment and said, if you REALLY need to leave, I'll have the guy turn it around and you can come back another day. WE weren't planning you coming in right now either! Cows mooing. "Okay... I don't want to hurt anything on the car."

Five minutes later, we confirmed that the problem was a bent LR wheel, which we had recommended and documented a month ago when she had a surprise $800+ radiator break.

That happens a lot with waiter customers... sometimes before you've even gotten the KEYS, they are already saying, "So it's ready?"

-Art
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Your Lingusitics-Fu has defeated me. Teach me, Wise One, so that I may learn

Seriously, though, cars are complex. Did she really expect you to know EVERYTHING that can go wrong with a car AND expect you to identify it by a drive test? For all she knew, she could of hit a deaf/mute midget who was hitting the axle trying to tell the driver to mind the pot holes.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

worse than that... you TOLD her about it over a month ago and she's only complaining about it now?

Comment

No... bad OP... no pluperfect. I'm having bad high school french flashbacks.

Comment

Hah! Made my day (yes, I am a grammar geek and a sucker for really nerdy jokes. I have to justify that Classics degree somehow. I choose to do so with sarcasm, mockery and denial).

Comment

...But...but you told her about the issue last month? Why didn't she deal with it back then?

Hina's flu addled brain can't process the stupid.
            Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
            Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

So...you told her about it a month ago and she brought it back wondering what was wrong with it? AND she needed it done that precise moment because she wasn't 'planning' on bringing it in that moment.

I think the cow in my head just died a little.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                She stood still (in the way) for a minute, while the cows in her head mooed plaintively.
                I love that! I will be picturing that with mouthbreathers from now on.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
                  She stood still (in the way) for a minute, while the cows in her head mooed plaintively.
                  I've seen some cartoon-like cows that are all standing in a group and one is going, "Moo?". Can't find it on the interweb and I think someone here had it as an avatar for a while. It was really cute, too. That's what I keep picturing.

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                  No... bad OP... no pluperfect. I'm having bad high school french flashbacks.
                  You too, huh? You're lucky you've just got high school flashbacks, I've got high school and college. I went and got a BA in French. And not doing a thing with it now!
                  It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    I've seen some cartoon-like cows that are all standing in a group and one is going, "Moo?". Can't find it on the interweb and I think someone here had it as an avatar for a while. It was really cute, too. That's what I keep picturing.
                    You HAD to ask a question like that. RubyRed has that avatar. Very cute.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

AHA! Thank you very, very much. That's the one and they are soooooo adorable! But that's the picture I get in my head.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Sounds like an episode of South Park. I could be mistaken though.

Love the mental image though . . . and I was just checking out the Chick-Fil-A website to see what the cows were up to this morning.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                        X