Biff Tannen, up to his old tricks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    You're reminding me of the hitchhiking robot from several years ago that made it more or less across Canada and almost immediately got smashed to pieces by the folks who picked it up once it was in the US.
    Hitchbot! I was waiting and waiting for it to make it to Boston...poor thing
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Oh, that was just the store ghost.

You're reminding me of the hitchhiking robot from several years ago that made it more or less across Canada and almost immediately got smashed to pieces by the folks who picked it up once it was in the US.
      I think it was Philly that did him in, which to be fair, anyone could've seen coming.

It's city of BROTHERLY love, not ROBOTIC.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        The first law is: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

In I, Robot the main computer, VIKI, deems certain human activities, such as eating the wrong food, as harmful to humans and thus acts to prevent that harm. Many daily activities can harm a human and VIKI was acting to prevent the harm from those activities. I think this was in the spirit of Asimov's robot stories. VIKI was applying the laws in ways not envisioned by the programmers.
        The thing is, in the books robots couldn't choose the lesser of two evils. If you were about to step in front of a bus and the only way to stop you would be to grab your arm hard enough to break it, the robot next to you would destroy itself trying to find a different plan.

In one of the books the main character realizes that he nearly destroyed a robot accidentally when it had been sent to retrieve him by ordering it to go back and say he'd be along in a few minutes: contradictory orders were going to melt it's brain.

Certain very sophisticated robots could make certain judgement calls, like maybe save your life by breaking your arm before melting its brain, but the one feature that robots in the film had that none in the books ever had was the ability to substitute another robot's judgement for their own.
        VIKI can see as big a picture as you like, her minions will still refuse to harm people.

My go-to example of the three laws not always meaning that robots are Good: if a robot knows the identity of a murderer (and somehow is sure it couldn't have prevented that so hasn't melted its brain), it CAN'T tell you. Because you will put the killer in prison. Which is harm.

Comment

Tangentially related:
          "Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X