Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danger! Keep Out! This means YOU!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger! Keep Out! This means YOU!!!!!!!!

Where I work, there are three buildings and three large parking lots surrounded by a ring road. Outside the main ring are three smaller lots with a secondary road that loops back to the same street as the main road. Starting this week, all three lower lots and their access road have been closed off for construction (they're adding a parking garage to accommodate a Big New Tenant Company that I shouldn't name here). Unlike the La Brea Tar Pits Incident, property management issued advance notice to all the tenant companies, who in turn sent out notices to all employees about the closure.

I usually go out to my car on my lunch break, and I have a front row view of one end of the now-closed road.

Monday morning, signposts anchored in buckets of cement appeared at the ends of that road reading "Danger! Keep Out!" People out jogging/walking just ignored them and kept on going.

They added caution tape to further reinforce the message. People either walked up on the grass to get around it or *lifted the tape* and ducked under it.

They extended the tape all the way to the stop sign and a nearby tree to completely block the road and sidewalks, and they STILL keep going around it!

Yesterday really took the cake. I counted 7 line crossings (two by the same guy) and one car that drove under it (the driver crept forward until it hit his windshield then reached out out to lift the tape over his car.)

I honestly don't get it, especially the car, since all these roads loop back to the same spot! There's no advantage at all to going that way.

Oh wait....I forgot where I am. Nobody reads signs or respects access barriers.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 08-06-2021, 01:07 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Yet if someone gets injuries they will claim there were no signs warning of the danger.

Suggestion put down barbed wire and/or caltrops and see what the joggers think.

Comment

I’m guessing the next step is concrete Jersey barriers. They’ve lifted the tape so many times it’s now sagging all the way to the ground, allowing people to just step over it.
      Last edited by Dave1982; 07-31-2021, 12:29 AM.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

"Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwttt...go vern-mynt...proo-par-tee..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7rOjA7FOFQ

Comment

That's only going to create groundless conspiracy theories.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
            Yet if someone gets injuries they will claim there were no signs warning of the danger.

*snip*
            Of course. After which they'll claim that the signs (that weren't there) weren't readable for one reason or other.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm just waiting for a lawsuit that claims liability because the signs did not mention that person specifically, ergo (by their "logic"), it wasn't referring to them. It would not surprise me if one had already been filed somewhere claiming that they did not make it physically impossible to go there, and therefore, there effectively WERE no warnings.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Fencing off

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                I’m guessing the next step is concrete Jersey barriers. They’ve lifted the tape so many times it’s now sagging all the way to the ground, allowing people to just step over it.
                I just thought of electric fences, like the ones used to keep cows in place. The Joggers will have fun times when they go to move those wires.

Comment

Danger! Keep Out! This means YOU!!!!!!!!
                  "Nah, that doesn't apply to me. I'm not YOU, I'm ME!"
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    "Nah, that doesn't apply to me. I'm not YOU, I'm ME!"
                    Only who can prevent forest fires?

You chose you, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is you.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The cement buckets with wooden signposts - several of which had been knocked over and broken at both ends of the road - have been replaced with tall, closely-spaced orange cones topped with interlocking rigid plastic barriers that can't be lifted up as easily.

Game on. Lunch break in 3 hours. I'll see how effective they are.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

The idiots have been given a challenge. Let's hope they don't rise to it.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Ugh. The plastic barriers don’t extend as far as the tape did. They’re just running around it without even slowing down.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder if spike strips would be a good idea. I doubt you'd be allowed those, however, but it could be fun to propose.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              The idiots have been given a challenge. Let's hope they don't rise to it.
                              Remember one of Murphy's Laws ---- Make an idiot proof thing and the universe will produce a better idiot
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X