X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the last time...

...it does NOT work that way!

Had a call come across with the indication that the call needed to be worked ASAP. As usual, our member was upset with service time and was demanding service sooner. We will only escalate these calls if the member is angry ...with no promises other than someone will look into the situation. Those "someones" are folks in my department.

Call was for a key make on a 2000 Dodge Intrepid. Keys for cars are no longer as simple as making keys for, say, your house. You can't just pop 'em in a machine...wham, bam, thank you ma'am - here' s your key. No. Newer cars, I'd say in the last ten years (or more) have computer chips in them. Not ALL of them, but a damn good number of them. This means, the locksmiths cannot merely make keys...but they have to PROGRAM them or your car WILL NOT START.

This hose beast not only would not allow me to completely explain this, but just was convinced I had no idea what I was talking about.

Now, in her defense...brief defense, the station who had the call was being a bit greedy...but not that much...like any other business that provides a service...they can charge whatever they damn well please ....especially on a Sunday, the day after a holiday.

Here's a brief synopsis of the conversation:

ME: Ma'am, unfortunately, I was unable to secure you faster service. I checked a 50 mile...
    SC: I've already been waiting an hour and I'm being told I have to wait 2 more hours!?!!!?
    ME: I apologize, I searched a 50 mile radius and this is the best time we can find. Also, the station wanted me to let you know that the cost will be an additional $100 out of pocket after the membership coverage....
    SC: WHAT!?!?!? I don't have that kind of money! I have to wait longer and NOW I have to pay!
    ME: Ma'am, if you pay cash, there is a 25% discount and it would only be $75. Your membership covers $100 of the services, this is ....
    SC: I was told this would be COMPLETELY covered! Why the hell does it cost $100 to make a key!?!?!
    ME: <Actually it's almost $200 bitch but your membership is covering $100 of it!> Ma'am newer cars have transponders in them that need...
    SC: I DON'T WANT ONE OF THOSE! I JUST WANT A REGULAR KEY!
    ME: Ma'am...your keys maybe programmed in order to start your vehicl...
    SC: I just want a key! How can it be $100 when keys cost $1 to make?!??!
    ME: Maybe a HOUSE key costs $1 to make...but keys for cars have to be programmed in order to work in...
    SC: I JUST NEED A REGULAR KEY!
    ME: Ma'am...cars don't...
    SC: I have to wait with my kids for over two hours! I have to get my kids home to bed! Now, I have to wait AND pay $100. I was told this was covered!
    ME: I apologize that you were informed this, however, it is not the case. Your membership...
    SC: GIVE ME YOUR SUPERVISOR! I am NOT paying $100 when keys ONLY cost $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ME: Yes, ma'am!

Fuck you! My supervisor can have you! March your ass down to Ace Hardware and get your fucking $1 key made Ms. Spechul Fucking Snowflake!

This call happened right before my break...I just checked on it again and the list off comments for documentation is OUTRAGEOUS. A supervisor here OKAYed the member getting $150 covered by us!?!?!? A station that I called earlier for faster service that gave me a really long ETA all of a sudden can get there much quicker. The call still hasn't been resolved and it came in over three hours ago.

I love my job! I love my job! I love my job! I love my job!
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

At least she can get keys made. Getting them for the MG is a bit difficult. I can get the blanks for about $5-10, but I have to be careful. The factory used about a dozen or so similar-looking lock styles from 1962-80. Each type has a slightly different profile. Compounding things further, is that the type number (on the ignition barrel), sometimes corrodes. But, at least I can get them. Not so with the door keys--these are an odd size, and not available at all!
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A good locksmith should be able to make you a new door key without too much trouble.

Or, if you're willing to change the locks on the doors, it's fairly easy to DIY.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Or he can just leave the top down.

Comment

While it might suck that your supervisor partially caved, just remember if someone higher up has a fit about it, it comes down on him, not you.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
            ME: <Actually it's almost $200 bitch but your membership is covering $100 of it!> Ma'am newer cars have transponders in them that need...
            And that, right there, is why, when I buy a car, that stupid transponder thing is going to be a deal-breaker.

But at least I know that if I had to replace a key with a transponder in it, it's going to cost a usurious fee.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
              A good locksmith should be able to make you a new door key without too much trouble.
              Making keys for cars are not so easy. As I stated, most newer cars - in the last 10 years - at least - have computer chips in them. Most of these keys need to be purchased directly from the dealer...however, the locksmithing industry has done some catching up and most locksmiths can do these keys - BUT it requires MUCH MORE work than sticking it in a machine. The VIN # has to be used to match up to the way the locksmith has to program the key. If the key is not programmed...your car will not start.

Also, my company will NOT make keys for your house doors. We've had calls about that though. ALSO - if you lose your key for the door of your car...unless it's a key that also starts the car (ignition/door in one key) we don't cover it.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                And that, right there, is why, when I buy a car, that stupid transponder thing is going to be a deal-breaker.
                Not too many cars have the choice. Some do though...but they are getting rarer.

Comment

Hell I knew when I bought the car that the only place I could go for a new key was the dealer, not only is it a key it has buttons to auto lock/unlock and set the alarm. (Mini Cooper) It's real simple, don't lose your keys!!

Edit: That sounds harsh on reading it, how about don't be a douchwaffle when you find out it costs a fortune
                  I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

This is why my spare set of keys is at my parents' house.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      This is why my spare set of keys is at my parents' house.
                      My spare car key is in my POCKET, on a separate key ring from the other one. That way, if I stupidly lock my key in the car, or lose it, I have my spare one ON ME.
                      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                      --StanFlouride

Comment

I have the spare to hubby's car, he has the spare to mine. Works well for us.

If you buy an older model car (like the one I want) there is no computer chip nonsense. Hell, the year my dream car was made, there was no such thing as a computer!
                        "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
                          I have the spare to hubby's car, he has the spare to mine. Works well for us.
                          This is what my husband and I do too--also, his parents have a copy of the keys to my car, since they gave it to me. But both of our cars are also old enough that I can (and did) get a spare key cut by walking into Home Depot...
                          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post

Or, if you're willing to change the locks on the doors, it's fairly easy to DIY.
                            Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was refering to getting a new door key for Protege's classic MG, not a newer transponder key.
                            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I think our Mercedes did the right thing, (and others, but first saw it on the Merc) it's so obviously not a "key" that not even the dumbest SC could mistake it for a "$1 at Home Depot" job. There's a pic of it at the top of this thread on the Benzworld forums.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                              X