This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
    Making keys for cars are not so easy. As I stated, most newer cars - in the last 10 years - at least - have computer chips in them. Most of these keys need to be purchased directly from the dealer...however, the locksmithing industry has done some catching up and most locksmiths can do these keys - BUT it requires MUCH MORE work than sticking it in a machine. The VIN # has to be used to match up to the way the locksmith has to program the key. If the key is not programmed...your car will not start.

Also, my company will NOT make keys for your house doors. We've had calls about that though. ALSO - if you lose your key for the door of your car...unless it's a key that also starts the car (ignition/door in one key) we don't cover it.

Actually, hubby is a locksmith and you can make a key that opens the door but will not start the car. It just goes on a regular blank. My van uses a transponder key, but he made me one that I carry in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the car. That way I can open my door to get my keys out.

I think some of the manufacturer's have it set up so you can call a # and get the code so they can even cut the key from that rather than having to make one. At least I know GM does, or did. Who knows what they're doing anymore.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
      I think our Mercedes did the right thing, (and others, but first saw it on the Merc) it's so obviously not a "key" that not even the dumbest SC could mistake it for a "$1 at Home Depot" job. There's a pic of it at the top of this thread on the Benzworld forums.
      Newer Dodges and Lexuses use those too. I had to program a customer's phone to the Bluetooth in his Lexus a couple of weeks ago and that is the type of key it used.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
        Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was refering to getting a new door key for Protege's classic MG, not a newer transponder key.
        I can get new locks...but they're not cheap. Plus, they're a bitch to fit
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The worst part about the transponder keys (after the outrageous cost of them), is that they're not really made to stand up to much heavy use. The bosses here have had to have two replacements on our work van in only 2 years.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X