Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No matter how much you argue, it's still alcohol.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth radiocerk View Post
    We have a favorite one in the pharmacy. There's this medication called Flagyl.
    I hate hate HATE Flagyl. I was on it during my peritonsular abscess and let me tell you, my stomach has never been the same.

My parents are physicians and I'm not a big drinker in the first place, so I took the warning on the Flagyl seriously. What I didn't like was the severe heart burn that crap gave me. I couldn't stand up straight for a month is hurt so bad. I had to beg the doctors to go ahead with the tonsillectomy two weeks ahead of schedule just to get off the stuff.

Yeah, they had scheduled me to be on Flagyl for 6 weeks. Evil bastages.

Comment

My question is why you just didn't end it by saying "well if you do slip into a coma, we don't take any responsibility for your actions."

Comment

When I had to be taken to the ER with a massive gallbladder attack (constant pain, nausea, vomiting), they laid me in a room gave me lots of fluids, pain medicine, and 'stuff to make me stop throwing up'...whatever it was. I was JUST starting to kind of relax and feel okay, when the nurse comes in to do an ultrasound, to be sure that it was gallstones and not some other thing. They get me in a wheelchair, we don't even get down the hall before I'm puking again, then the nurse realizes...OH, the ultrasound equipment is in another wing, just wait here.... So I got to wait in a hallway (with Mom) in a wheelchair, throwing up in a plastic bag for 10 minutes while the Idiot Nurse gets the equipment together, so that she can jam the little ultrasound thingy into my already sore tummy with all the gentleness of a Mountain Gorilla.
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Was the patient's name Homer Simpson? Seriously, that sounds like it could be a gag straight out of the show.
          Ah, tally-ho, yippety-dip, and zing zang spillip! Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            ...so that she can jam the little ultrasound thingy into my already sore tummy with all the gentleness of a Mountain Gorilla.
            Reminds me of being pregnant and when they do the 20week U/S, where you aren't very big, but you already have to pee about 100 times a day. They tell you to drink a glass or two of water before coming in, so the baby shows up better.

Then they proceed to press on your belly with the U/S wand for the next 20 minutes or more. It is supposed to be an exciting time getting to see your baby, and even find out the sex if you want, but you're totally preoccupied with trying to 'keep the dam from bursting', that you want to scream "Hurry the f*** up!"...
            "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

When I woke up, I did overhear the nurse talking about how pathetic I was.
              Who's more pathetic:
              -A patient who blacks out from a foreign object being inserted into their body?
              Or?
              -A nurse who looses their job because she acted in an unprofessional manner to a patient?

hmmm... let me think about that while I complete this letter to your legal department.
              *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
              *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

According to Darwins theory, you should have let him have the beer for the good of the planet.

Comment

Down the throat isn't that much fun, but when I got checked out fully by the docs, we had a whale of a time. The sedative they used is a relative of rohypnol, and I can now understand just how that stuff's so damned effective. The second time wasn't the whole way, so no sedative, but when you can cause battle-hardened nurses to crease from joking and farting, you know you're doing it right.

By the way, I checked out fine.

Rapscallion

Comment

Nurses who talk badly about their patients within earshot need to simply get fired.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Damn...the OP's story sounds like one my mother had with my grandmother (aka Dad's mom.) A *3 hour* conversation, in fact Grandma's been on various medications, but was supposedly told nothing bad would happen if she had one glass of wine with dinner.

At the time, my mother, who is a nurse, didn't know about any of it. (They've never really gotten along...because my mother can't stand that side of the family...) Until, Grandma was in the hospital...and said hospital fucked up. One of the meds she was given interacted with her blood thinner. She's lucky to have come through that at her age. Anyway, when she was at her doctor the last time, she was put on different medications, one of which doesn't go well with alcohol of any type.

We were over there one night, and Grandma starts asking if she can have a glass of wine with dinner...even though she's on medication, and the doctor told her not to. 3 hours of her asking, 3 hours of my mom saying no. What was so hard to understand?

If she had Alzheimer's, I could see why she'd be confused. But, she doesn't--she's just not listening. And yes, I'm still pissed that the conversation took 3 hours of my life that I will *never* get back
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I just don't understand idiots like this. Even non-hospital drugs say that it's not a great idea to mix alcohol with drugs, so you would think everyone would know not to drink alcohol with hospital drugs. But, no. This idiot is going to go home, take his drugs, have his one beer (because drinking a beer is more important than his health), then sue you after he passes out or has worse happen to him. Hell, this is probably a guy who goes out and lifts heavy objects after his doctor tells him to stay off his feet so he doesn't aggravate his herniated disc!

Comment

personally... in my opinion... i'd say before they even get the sedative, that they have to sign a waiver stating that they understand the risks of drinking alcohol afterwards.

that way... when they try to pressure you into saying "yes one beer is ok"... you can just say... "no. If you choose to drink anyway, we will NOT be financially responsible. That means... if you go into a coma, you won't be able to sue us for it. you've been warned"

:evil:

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                            Actually, that's what happened after I passed out. After feeling the needle wiggling in my vein... Ugh... I'm getting nauseous just thinking about it.

When I woke up, I did overhear the nurse talking about how pathetic I was.

I know I'm not the only person with a mental block over needles and I'd expect a nurse to have at least SOME understanding of people with that kind of phobia. So, yeah, the nurses in the Endoscopy unit I went to are not exactly warm & fuzzy...
                            I also have that fear of needles... I've never thrown up but pretty much every time I have a blood test I pass out... the only time I don't pass out with injections is those little needles they use for vaccinations... so I feel your pain and would like to also say I hope you threw up on bitch nurse.
                            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I actually now hate needles too. It started when I broke my hand and had to get screws put in the bone. They used my other hand for the IV and dug around for a couple of minutes.

And as for that gallbladder issue... My wife had one this year, and it was horrible. Had to wait 3 hours for the pain medicine (a morphine pump), plus she was throwing up every few minutes, which turned into dry heaves every few minutes. Had to be transported by ambulance to a hospital 4 hours away and that hospitals nurses had to redo the IV because the first ones screwed up. I didn't think she would get better care at a larger area, but it was oh so much better there. She doesn't remember much of it though, side effect of the morphine. Had to have a feeding tube though. She was in that hospital for 2 weeks.

Her mother and mine are both RNs. So we have heard of all the stupid stuff patients can do, including shooting themselves in sensitive places. But the nurses who are evil and do crap like described above... there is no excuse for that.

I forgot to mention, that at the first hospital (20 miles east of us), they did not even provide her a container to thow up in. She had taken an empty diaper wipes tub with her in the car and had to use that.
                              Last edited by bsaana; 08-03-2008, 02:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something about wifes hospital stay.

Comment

In the future do what I would do.

Sure, if it means that much to you have the f***ing beer/wine/shot. But don't come crying to me when you're in a coma or dead.

Kind of like "Sure put a penny in the light socket, oh hurt like hell didn't it? Don't do that no more"

Comment

Working...
                                X