This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every week we do this dance

Without fail this woman calls the food bank at least once a week.
    I seem to always get her calls.
    I know her voice and manner of speech so as soon as she opens her mouth I know what she's going to ask for.

This is today's conversation. Keep in mind this is the general content of every conversation as well.

Woman: Hi I need to know where there's a food bank at such-and-such an intersection.
    Me: *gives food bank info I already have memorized thanks to her*
    Woman: But whenever I go they're closed.
    Me: *I know, you tell me this every week* They're open on Mondays and Wednesdays only, when did you go last?
    Woman: Friday, and they weren't open.
    Me: They will be open tomorrow.
    Woman: What if I stop by on Thursday?
    Me: They'll be closed.
    Woman: See? This happens all the time! Whenever I want to go they're closed.
    Me: That's because they are only open two days a week and you can't just show up whenever you like.
    Woman: But some days I'm too tired to get down there in the morning.
    Me: Unfortunately getting up and actually going down there when they're open is the only way to get food from them.
    Woman: I can't go on Thursday?
    Me: No.
    Woman: Whyyyyy?
    Me: ...
    Woman: Hello?
    Me: Yes.
    Woman: HELLO?
    Me: They're open on Mondays and Wednesdays only. You need to go one of those days to get food.
    Woman: Wh--
    Me: Mondays. And. Wednesdays.
    Woman: OK. ... Can you tell me the hours of *other food bank*?
    Me: They're by appointment only.
    Woman: So what are their hours?
    Me: They work on appointments only, it's not a drop-in facility.
    Woman: Yeah, but what are their hooooooouuuuuurs?
    Me: Whenever they tell you to show up.
    Woman: Oh. I get it now.
    Me: *No, no you don't, because we will be right back where we started next week.* Anything else I can help you with?
    Woman: *looooong emo sigh* No... I guess not.
    Me: Alright then, have a good day.

I totally gotta you for the silences after she cried "Whyyyyyy".

That was AWESOME!!

Question: Would you get into trouble next time she calls if you somehow muster every bit of strength you have and politely say "Ma'am, as I've explained to you nearly every week, they're only open on Wednesdays and Mondays"?
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

"whyyyyyyyyyy"
      "because the world doesn't revolve around you"

Comment

"whyyyyyyyyyy"
        "Because you scare them. They're hiding from you."

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
          Question: Would you get into trouble next time she calls if you somehow muster every bit of strength you have and politely say "Ma'am, as I've explained to you nearly every week, they're only open on Wednesdays and Mondays"?
          Nope.

We have a lot of people who call here all the time about the same things and I've started to recognize a lot of their voices.
          Usually we pretend like we've never spoken to them before but some people get told that they've had the same information repeated to them several times already.

I've only put off doing that with this woman because she's so utterly whiny I can't even fathom the kind of hell I'd be putting myself through if I suggested for even a moment that she enlist the slightest bit of self sufficiency in herself.

Comment

Quoth rerant
            Woman: Hello?
            Me: Yes.
            "Because I hate you."
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"whyyyyyyyyyy"
              "42"
              Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                "whyyyyyyyyyy"
                "42"
                Love it! XD
                Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

It seems to me you allow it to continue by not putting your foot down.

On the other hand, maybe she has a mental disorder which makes it only partly her fault, or all her fault if she's not taking her medication.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                    Love it! XD
                    Secondus-ed
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      Woman: I can't go on Thursday?
                      Me: No.
                      Because Thursday is not Monday or Wednesday now is it. You fail, go away.
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post

Do it the moment you recognize her voice on the phone:

W: Can you tell me —
                        R: They are open Monday and Wednesday. Thursday is not Monday or Wednesday. Friday is not Monday or Wednesday. If you do not go when they are open, you will not get food from them. <other bank> is open by appointment only. You must call them and make an appointment with them, and show up when they tell you to. Thank you and have a good day. **click**
                        Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth dithers66 View Post
                          It seems to me you allow it to continue by not putting your foot down.
                          Well I'll only have to deal with her and the other crazies for another two weeks. After that school starts and with that and my new job I'll have no more available time for volunteering.

Comment

Working...
                          X