This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the 20th century

I discovered that we needed a blank copy of a specific tax form for the State of New York last week. I went to their website, found the download forms, and one of the very few items not available for download is the one I need. Of course.

Instead, I have to call a not toll free number. Then wait 20 minutes for a human being who verifies my ID code is valid in their system. Once that is verified, she then tells me she will mail it to the PO box on file.

I asked if she could just email a copy to me, since my email domain has the company name in it. But no, New York will only allow them to be sent by postal mail. No email, not even fax. She then went on to tell me that if I needed more than one, I should just make photocopies of the original form she was sending.

I asked why these forms are so hard to acquire, and apparently they want to be sure ID numbers are valid. I let her know I had some feedback, from a customer perspective and she directed me to the website.

I suggested they could have the website do code verification (it's not a tax ID) and then offer an email/download link in addition to the option of getting a copy by snail mail. Or even a freakin' fax. I really don't need to drag out this process for another week waiting on the local USPS.

And, after all that, if I need more just make some photocopies. Much secure, very safe. I'm just going to scan the bloody thing and stick it out on our server. It's like a photocopy but less paper.

I'm amazed they don't insist on sending it via telegraph. Nobody knows Morse code these days, so it'd be *secure*!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Does this form have information that is specific to you? If not, put it out in the web and charge $0.50 to down load it. Let me know when you make enough to retire.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Couldn't she just take a picture of it with her cell phone & email it to you? Oh that's right, the 20th Century when we were using rotary phones & cell phones cost a fortune & were the size of a brick...LOL!

Comment

At least I can understand my state handgun background check forms are seral number assigned to my shop can't be emailed but what else need to be restricted like that?
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

The form I need is for tax exempt organizations. You have to fill them out specific for each vendor with whom you are doing business. This a blank generic form which is used by any 501(c)3 (or similar) non-profit making a tax exempt purchase.

A quick Google indicates there are about 98,000 NPOs registered in New York State. Why would you make the form downloadable when you can have them all call instead, right?

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
              A quick Google indicates there are about 98,000 NPOs registered in New York State. Why would you make the form downloadable when you can have them all call instead, right?

Job security?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That's just NYS stupidity. There's a lot of it about.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  I'm amazed they don't insist on sending it via telegraph. Nobody knows Morse code these days, so it'd be *secure*!
                  Security by obscurity... isn't.

Comment

One of my favorite "security though obscurity" stories:

A buddy of mine worked for a company that released code with their AWS credentials hard-coded inside the executable image. Someone poked through the binary and noticed that, so within a month they had a five-figure bill from Amazon because their credentials had been used to create a whole lot of virtual machines.

All of which were busy mining bit-coins...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

"Velkome to the 90's, Meester Bonks." [cookies for reference]

Comment

Ah yes, "security through obscurity". One bank I did refreshes for required us to drill three holes in the HDD of every system we replaced.

Up toward 30 systems per night.

At roughly 2 in the morning.

After we had to write the serial number of each HDD we had (upwards of 30 characters).

By hand.

And the worst of it? Ask anyone who handles IT security and they'll tell you it does fuck all because you can still easily fire it up. We had ONE HDD where it was effective and that's because it was a ceramic platter that shattered when we drilled the first hole. At least the current bank I do replacements on has us verify drive encryption, scrub the drive with a basic sweep or arrange for a secure pickup. It's not guaranteed but it is FAR more effective than drilling the holes.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                        X