Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things I am tired of hearing (feel free to add your own!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in an almost 200 year old wooden building and people are consistently wondering why we don't sell FIREWORKS at the 4th of July.

Give me a frickin' break here, people.

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
      When I worked at the library, people would call us the day after the Lottery people pull the winning numbers to ask us what the winning numbers are. Why they didn't call the 800 number behind the lottery/lotto/pick 3/megamillion ticket, I never found out. Worst thing is when people call for one question and then ask, "so what are the winning numbers for tonight's lottery? You can hear over the line the *shit-eating grin*
      we're an office supply store, it's always in response to asking if they need help because they're "funny"

also need to stop asking if they need a hand because one of these days when they respond by looking at their hands and going "I've got two already" I'm gonna respond by making it so they don't.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

"You can't make me do that!"

You are right SC. I can't make you do anything. However, the things I am asking you to do are required by federal and state laws if you want to get food stamps or free medical care. So yes, while I cannot make you do anything, I can and will deny your case if you do not comply.

(BTW, I'm not a power drunk government drone. I'm actually a very easy food stamp case worker. If someone works with me, I'll do everything I can to help them get the required verifications and paperwork. My monthly evals are always lower than they could be because I don't really care about how long my cases take (of course we are timed), I want to get people all the benefits they are entitled to and I want to do it right away instead of next week.)

Comment

That gasp and sigh of indignation coming from the person who was waiting there "first" (and apparently set her bolt down to go browse more) when you come back to the counter and serve the only person you see standing there. This was first thing in the morning when there's no real need to pull numbers. When I want to be served (first) somewhere, I make sure the employee can see me. I don't huff and pout like some small child.

"How much?" as in price per yard. Whelp, you see, there's a handy dandy sticker on top of the bolt...there's a sale sign where you grabbed the bolt...there's a calculator app on your phone...and if you're really lazy, there's a price check machine you can wave that shiny sticker under. When people are too lazy or clueless to do any of those things, they're always the type to suck their teeth when I tell them the price.

Comment

Quoth chimera View Post
            That gasp and sigh of indignation coming from the person who was waiting there "first" (and apparently set her bolt down to go browse more) when you come back to the counter and serve the only person you see standing there. This was first thing in the morning when there's no real need to pull numbers. When I want to be served (first) somewhere, I make sure the employee can see me. I don't huff and pout like some small child.
            This is why my store has tried to make every single person take a number, even if they're the first person in the doors. (yes it sounds stupid, but it's actually helped) Or at the very least, check the ticket machine to make sure no one took a number and is shopping where I can't see. We had a such a huge problem with wanderers (with no numbers) getting upset at being "skipped" or people not realizing they had to take a number, or employees accidentally helping someone who wasn't next, then all the customers yelling at them. I also don't understand the people who just stand sadly at the counter. We're technically not supposed to leave it unattended, but it does happen. I swear I always come back to either that sad lady, or a freaking mob of people all angry because there's nobody at the counter. I was not in Switzerland, people, I was two aisles away for 30 seconds!

Here's what I'm tired of hearing (I was honestly going to post this before I saw your post, lol!). So I come to backup at the cutting counter, and there's a few people waiting. I call a number, and one lady inevitably exclaims, "I didn't know I needed a number, there wasn't anyone else waiting when I got here!" *sigh* Look, I have no idea who is next because I JUST WALKED UP to the counter. I'm sorry that an employee didn't ask you to take a number. Now I get to decide who to help first, the "I was here but don't have a number" lady, or the person with the next number. Either way, someone's about to get mad at me.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
              "I could use the winning lotto numbers" GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH
              The winning lottery numbers are: 05 12 17 22 35 42.

Good luck figuring out when and where they win.

PS. If they do win for you, may I have 10%?
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post

I'm actually a very easy food stamp case worker.
                That's my favourite kind of food stamp case worker
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  So I come to backup at the cutting counter, and there's a few people waiting. I call a number, and one lady inevitably exclaims, "I didn't know I needed a number, there wasn't anyone else waiting when I got here!" *sigh* Look, I have no idea who is next because I JUST WALKED UP to the counter. I'm sorry that an employee didn't ask you to take a number. Now I get to decide who to help first, the "I was here but don't have a number" lady, or the person with the next number. Either way, someone's about to get mad at me.
                  Yep. Or when I ask someone if they've got a number, they say, "Am I supposed to?" No, you're supposed to have a giraffe, that's why I asked you for a number.

The number system almost isn't worth it. We've been doing it for four years, since we opened this new store, yet so many people just do not comprehend that yes, they are supposed to take a number. That green ticket dispenser you're standing right next to and the sign over the counter with the changing numbers on it are not just for decoration.

I am so sick of people who insist on being deliberately stupid.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

"ITS CREDIT! ITS CREDIT!" Ugh, getting so tired of this especially because the machines at my store immediately give you the option of selecting debit or credit and yet people still insist on screaming at me that phrase.

Comment

• Quoth gremcint View Post
                      we're an office supply store, it's always in response to asking if they need help because they're "funny"

also need to stop asking if they need a hand because one of these days when they respond by looking at their hands and going "I've got two already" I'm gonna respond by making it so they don't.
                      Ugh, those make me cringe. They act as if no one else has ever thought of that very easy "joke" before.

Or what about when you ask them if they need help? Then they respond, "I'm beyond help!" or something similar.
                      "Some people are dumb." - Butthead

Comment

• Another one is...silence.
                        It's so rude when someone greets you and you don't respond. One of the shops I work in is absolutely tiny (if you stand in the middle of the shop and stretch out your arms you can touch both sides!)
                        Customer enters the shop:
                        Me "Hello"
                        Customer *nothing*
                        Me "Can I help at all?" (i feel I should point out that we do not work on commission/pressure selling - if someone wants to have a browse on their own they are more that welcome - everything is behind glass so nothing can be stolen, we just leave them to look)
                        C *nothing*
                        Me "No? OK then" *Carry on with whatever task I was doing*
                        C (realising that they can't look at anything without asking for my assistance) "Can I try on that watch / ring / necklace in the window)

I know it's really bad but sometimes if someone has tried really hard to ignore me, when they ask for my help I will pretend that I haven't heard them.

Comment

• Quoth Dizzy_1986 View Post
                          Me "Hello"
                          Customer *nothing*
                          Me "Can I help at all?" (i feel I should point out that we do not work on commission/pressure selling - if someone wants to have a browse on their own they are more that welcome - everything is behind glass so nothing can be stolen, we just leave them to look)
                          C *nothing*
                          Me "No? OK then" *Carry on with whatever task I was doing*
                          C (realising that they can't look at anything without asking for my assistance) "Can I try on that watch / ring / necklace in the window)
                          "Oh, now I'm worth speaking to?! Oh, so gracious of you, your royal Highness!" Ugh. I hate people who think that store employee = serf or peon and treat you like garbage. Screw them and their bitchy elitist attitudes.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

• ARG. I'm so tired of people being smug know it alls.

SC: Do you carry *very specific item*?
                            Me: I'm not sure, what's it used for?
                            SC: It's used to do this very specific thing.
                            Me: Okay, let me ask. *asks over radio, gets an affirmative and location* They say it's over here. Ah, here it is.
                            SC: You learn something new every day!

There's really no tone that makes this less annoying. We carry thousands of items, I've worked here for years and don't know everything we sell, which changes often. So don't say "you learned something today!" like I'm some high school kid learning about the Civil War. It's insulting.

Comment

• Interesting. Whenever I use that phrase, I always mean "I learn something every day"... I wonder if I should stat saying it that way?
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                                Interesting. Whenever I use that phrase, I always mean "I learn something every day"... I wonder if I should stat saying it that way?
                                Or someone could say "you" but mean people in general. Like if a customer asks me if we have an item that will do *list of things* and I say, "yes, this item will do all those things, here it is!" and the person replies with "wow, you learn something new every day." That's fine.

It's when they use the expression as if they just did a good deed and taught the ditsy little employee something, that's when it's annoying.

Comment

Working...
                                X