Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did someone release extra Stupid into the water supply?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did someone release extra Stupid into the water supply?

Title was mom's reply when I texted her midshift about one of these loons. It is a full moon, so...

The usual assortment of 'assistance' that are really just ID10T errors. You'd think people had never seen an SCO, chip card, or card reader before. Register 10 has no sound and the light burnt out, so I'm able to ignore the obviously stupid 'calls' until they figure it out or get schooled by other customers. For some reason SCs felt the need to point out that someone needs help when I'm already with a customer I see everyone, your call will be answered in the order I choose.

You think this is OK why?
    Usual call for assistance at SCO. I immediately see what the problem is; SC has a tub of the ice cream that's on sale, but scanned her store card after the ice cream (so that discount won't come off until the end).
    SC: "This ice cream should be $2.50 and it's not coming off!"
    Me: "Did you scan your store card after you scanned the ice cream?"
    SC: "Yes, but it's not coming off! The other sales are coming off!"
    Me: "It will come off at the end."
    I'm facing the scanner, SC is behind me (which I can sense) and I'm boxed in by SC's mother with a cart on my right (main aisle) and SC behind me/at my left; SC is also blocking the cashier area on register 7 so I can't squeeze through there to extricate myself. I do have a sales flyer in my back pocket; it's folded over and it's clear that there's something in the pocket but the flyer itself is not visible (my new work pants have pockets deeper than usual almost all the way down the butt, I folded the flyer over so it wouldn't catch on anything and fall out)
    SC: "But it's in the sale flyer. Let's see if it's in your little flyer here--" SC reaches into my back pocket and tries to remove the flyer (due to the way it's folded, she can't actually remove it unless she sticks her hand all the way in my pocket and feels around).

Me: *yelps, hops to one side* "Don't touch me! What do you think you're doing?!"
    SC: "I just wanted to look at the flyer."
    Me: "There is a flyer on top of the screen there. You have no right to go in my pockets."
    SCM: ""What did we do?"
    Me: "Practically grabbed my ass is what you did. We are DONE here." I get out of the SCO lane and motion for J.

SC tries to complain to J, who saw some of what happened (by my reaction, he guessed the rest).
    J: "She told you you would get the sale price. It doesn't matter what you thought, it's completely unacceptable to touch my employee like that. Pay and leave, now. Do not ask for help again."

Banhammer, if we had one.
    I'm schmoozing with one of my favorite customers S, a firecracker older woman who's legally blind and doesn't suffer idiots (she lives in another property managed by our company and we often trade gripes). M calls me over to the desk and asks "how much cash back can we give on a debit card?" The max we can give is $200, but it ultimately depends on the bank and any limits on the specific card. The 'customer'--very squirrelly-looking kid in hip-hop wear, acting generally agitated and everyone around is giving him a wide berth--doesn't seem to like my answer, and tries to ask A (new desk girl, sweet kid but very timid and I think overwhelmed by the crazy) again. She just tells him the same thing I did.

Then Squirrelly asks A to help him at the ATM. Yellow flag, A shouldn't be leaving the desk to help anyone. He already got $200, what's he doing at the ATM and why does he even need help with it?

S tells me that Squirrelly was hitting on A, saying stuff like "ooh I want that hot Asian chick to help me" and generally chatting her up. He's obviously high on something (not weed). By helping him at the ATM, A is encouraging his behavior...about 4 of us are overtly watching this very closely at this point. Shithead is nowhere to be seen; he used to be a bouncer and can be useful if one of us is having legitimate issues with someone.

When Squirrelly finally jitters out the door, we find Shithead and everyone who witnessed this tells him what happened. I'm not sure what happened after that, but everyone (not that our opinion matters) said that Squirrelly should be banned for his antics.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Am I correctly interpreting that the customer got $200 cash back AND was at an ATM afterward? It sounds like he's filched someone's credit card and is trying to skeeve as much cash as he can before the owner discovers it's missing. And it would explain at least some of the jittery behavior.

Comment

Yup, $200 cashback at a register (service desk), then Jitterbug was at the ATM.

Comment

As you were describing the flyer placement I saw where this was going to go and yet I still was like the SC is not actually going to reach into... You would think I wouldn't be surprised but...just who does that!?

Comment

You know, someone that isn't my girlfriend/wife/similar that is trying to reach into my pocket is going to find out exactly how good my grip strength is. (Hint: amateur massage guy here. Been rubbing people's backs/etc. for 30+ years, since grade school. Also, I play bass guitar, where individual finger strength is also important.) Short version: painful, especially since I'd likely be grabbing their wrist.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

puddykat: one of MyTown's entitled residents who think they can do or say anything to a service worker because. SC was fairly put-together, not the type of person to do something like that and have an 'excuse' (developmentally disabled, kid who may not know better, etc). The fact that the mom seemed genuinely baffled at my reaction... I bet if a stranger did the same to her she'd be all about police/store management/ACLU/WTF/etc.

Even if the flyer had been sticking out of my pocket...no.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              Yup, $200 cashback at a register (service desk), then Jitterbug was at the ATM.
              Yeah, that's just sketchy as hell. I would suggest to management that any surveillance footage be kept and marked.

Comment

Did someone release extra Stupid into the water supply?
                How about they release extra water into the Stupid supply? The Stupid is so thick and plentiful lately, it could stand some thinning out, for sanity's sake.

Sorry. Had a couple of thick-as-a-brick customers who broke my brain today. There's definitely far too much Stupid in the world.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Well, we are in a drought right now, so it's possible that a lot of the Stupid here was kept in check by virtue of being buried in the silt at the bottom of the reservoir. As the level's dropping and the silt is stirred up by pumping...

This week has been weirder than most.

Comment

gotta say, you reacted better than I would've on Grabby there...had that'd been me Grabby would've wound up flat on their ass..I don't like being touched so the reaction would've been completely instinctive

Comment

I probably should have gone over the top with my reaction...the last person who snuck up on me in a similar fashion almost wound up with a broken arm ('friend' in college who knew I hate being randomly grabbed and decided to do it anyway). Quarters were too tight for me to really do anything; if this had happened out by the paystation or in an aisle...

Today some old lady (SC) who had already finished her transaction nearly hit a kid with her shopping cart when the kid went ahead of her mother to start bagging. I didn't see the actual incident, but SC definitely saw the kid but decided to keep going and intentionally tried to hit her. Kid was unharmed, but there was plenty of yelling (and swearing on SC's part which actually got her ejected from the store).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        Today some old lady (SC) who had already finished her transaction nearly hit a kid with her shopping cart when the kid went ahead of her mother to start bagging. I didn't see the actual incident, but SC definitely saw the kid but decided to keep going and intentionally tried to hit her. Kid was unharmed, but there was plenty of yelling (and swearing on SC's part which actually got her ejected from the store).
                        And sometimes justice does indeed happen, restoring our faith in the world.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

First actual (well, second if you count Grabby) SC ejection I've seen...but S dealt with this one, and she failed to actually call SC out on her behavior (her exact wording was "There's too much going on here; you should leave").

Comment

Working...
                          X