This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will stop all work

This customer was one of the biggest pains in the ass that I've ever had to deal with. They bought some expensive stuff, so I was giving them a bit of leeway, but because they spent so much money, they expected 100% total and complete perfection. The edges along the seams were not cleanly cut; we're not talking about a jagged edge or anything, we're talking about 1/32 of an inch that was certainly there but hardly noticeable and completely within the manufacturer's tolerance. The drawers were not rolling smooth enough, again, a matter of opinion, and completely in the manufacturer's tolerance. The auto-close on the drawers didn't work properly, fine, that is a problem. The panels are supposed to be 54" high and they are only 53 1/4", fine, we'll raise the glides.

This, that and the other thing, nitpicking every little detail. And that is fine, that is their right as the customer. If there is anything that does not meet to their satisfaction, just point it out and let me deal with it. But everything they are pointing out is beyond my control, it's all manufacturer "defects". So I let them know that all I can do is write it up as a deficiency and pass it along to the vendor. Now you'll notice here that I said "all I can do"; I said this because it's literally all I can do. But of course this isn't good enough, they want these items instantly replaced. Do you think I just have extra kicking around with me right now? I don't. Okay, well what is going to be done? You have to talk to the vendor to see what they will do. But what are they going to do? I don't know how they will deal with it, I will pass the information along and they will contact you. But I must know how they handle these things. Yes, I do know, they contact you after I send them my report. They didn't appreciate that answer but it did clue them in that I wasn't budging so they called the vendor themselves. So rather than working, I'm dealing with them, dealing with the vendor, dealing with them, dealing with my office, dealing with the vendor, dealing with them, dealing with them... all to fix stuff that has nothing wrong with it, that I absolutely cannot fix at the present time because it has to be reordered, remanufactured and reshipped.

That's part 1 of the saga. The real treat, and point of my thread title is part 2. While they're being this pain in the ass, they are also getting right up into our business. They are moving things, they are opening boxes, they are getting in our way. I had to put a stop to things right off the bat:

Me: Excuse me, please don't open the boxes.
    SC: It's our stuff, I can do what I want.
    Me: No, actually it is not yours until you sign off on it, right now, I am responsible for the product.
    SC: We paid for it, we can do what we want.
    Me: Okay, that's fine. But I need you to sign off right now that all product has been received in good order and that my company is not responsible for anything that may be damaged.
    SC: I'm not doing that!
    Me: Then don't touch any of the product!

This kept them away from the boxes, but they were still all over everything as we were staging it. I reminded them a few more times to leave the stuff alone and like a scolded child, they humfed away, then is right back at it seconds later. They're putting stuff in our way, getting in our way, creating tripping hazards all over the place. Constant reminders would not stop them, they have to check this stuff out right now, it cannot wait until the job is done.

It came to a head when I was installing a return onto a desk. I've got it set up to plan, but "this is no good". He wants the desk moved back a couple of feet. Okay, that's not a problem, let me finish up what I'm doing here then I'll take care of that. But he knows better, he grabs a hold of the desk and pulls it away, sending the surface that I was working on crashing down to my face. Fortunately, I had a hand on it so I caught it before it landed on me, but now furious I lay into him:

Me: DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE!!! If you cannot stay out of our way and leave this product alone I will issue a stop work order and this whole job will be shut down!
    SC: You can't do that!
    Me: NO, as a matter of fact I can. I am the certified health and safety representative of this company; I have the authority and power to issue a stop work order. You are in violation of health and safety codes. This violation can cause serious harm to my workers. The violation poses an immediate risk of harm. Those are the three criteria that have to be, and have been met in order for me to exercise my power.
    SC: But....
    Me: I'll give you one more opportunity but I need your promise that you won't touch anything else.
    SC: Uhhh, sorry, I just thought it would be easier to move the desk now.
    Me: We are professionals at this, if there is anything you have a problem with, just let us know and we will handle it.

This put him in his place, more or less. We didn't have any incidents after this, other than the massive headache they gave me with their constant and non-stop complaining. This was probably the closest I've come to pulling the trigger on a stop work order, I kind of wish I had done and seen what the fallout would be.
    Last edited by evilhomer; 09-22-2016, 12:13 AM.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Is wrong that I totally loved the part where you put him is his place and kinda wished you had issued the stop order as well? You clearly are a good person because you protect your workers even if they are idiots sometimes. I swear some adults have forgotten basic kindergarten lessons like "do not touch" and "use your inside voice and use your words instead of a tantrum". eesh.

Comment

At least they listened and stopped the infantile behavior, it would have been interesting to see what would happened if you had issued a stop work order...

Comment

I wish you had done it. You could have been injured.

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
          it would have been interesting to see what would happened if you had issued a stop work order...
          Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it would involve a screaming call to the OP's employer about how the crew "refused to work"
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            Unfortunately, I have a feeling that it would involve a screaming call to the OP's employer about how the crew "refused to work"
            "And they are being RUDE to me!"

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              Most definately. And that would only change when I filed the official paperwork with the Ministry of Labour listing the multiple health and safety violations. Then the real screaming and crying would begin.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
              X