This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots and Doors

My office has an exterior door. The building's interior has been remodeled so many times, there is no telling what the door's original purpose might have been, but it is still functional as an emergency exit.

There is a large sign on it stating it is not an entrance to the building, and a big arrow accompanies a statement as to where the main entrance is. At least five or six times a day, I hear someone yanking on the door handle (sometimes savagely) or knocking on it to have it opened. When I don't respond, at least half the time the person will tap on my window to get my attention. If I then point out the sign, they look dumbfounded and often very confused.

I just had someone yell at me that since I would not allow her in through that door, then I had "legally prevented" her from resolving her tickets since it was "illegal for any door to a public building to be locked", so she was "legally released from the charges". I told her to try that one on any judge when she gets picked up for her warrants and see how far it gets her.

I wonder if she ever came in.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

I see that the Midvale School for the Gifted is still churning out graduates.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
      I told her to try that one on any judge when she gets picked up for her warrants and see how far it gets her.
      Seeing that would be worth a day's pay.

Comment

Could you install a lawn sprinkler that covers the door area with a control for the valve at your desk?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

There is a large sign on it stating it is not an entrance to the building, and a big arrow accompanies a statement as to where the main entrance is.
          Ah, yes I think I've seen that... Hundreds of times? More? Yet these people have "never" come across it before in their entire life, and obviously can't figure out what an arrow means. Maybe they think you're going to shoot them with an arrow?
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            I see that the Midvale School for the Gifted is still churning out graduates.
            Gary Larson ftw. It's been a while since I saw his cartoons, have to go look them up again.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Could you install a lawn sprinkler that covers the door area with a control for the valve at your desk?
              Evil, but would it ever be fun!
              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Maybe they think you're going to shoot them with an arrow?
                Arrows are a very serious matter. I can't count the number of knee injuries that have occurred because of them.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Well, seeing as traffic court is bound to collect people predisposed to not follow arrows in the first place........
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Fascinating legal argument. I don't think I've heard that one before.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Evil, but would it ever be fun!
                      Actually, that would be pretty easy to setup. Can I help?
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I just love when people start spewing out "legal" precedents; as if saying it with authority is going to somehow make it true. And I can just see the subsequent trial: "Yeah, I yelled these through a window at some guy.... I can go now right???"
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                          Arrows are a very serious matter. I can't count the number of knee injuries that have occurred because of them.
                          Yes...there's been alot of that lately...so many people can no longer be what they once were because of an arrow to the knee.
                          I can just picture South Texan slowly turning the valve...all the while never breaking eye contact with the SC outside the door.

Comment

... since it was "illegal for any door to a public building to be locked", ...
                            I wonder if she will try that argument at the jail?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

since it was "illegal for any door to a public building to be locked"
                              My guess is there's some truth to that, but it got distorted all out of proportion in the retelling.

It would be reasonable to require that during business hours (i.e. when the public has access), all doors in a publicly-accessible building not be locked in such a way that they can't be opened FROM THE INSIDE. This would be for fire safety purposes - anyone inside can exit via the nearest door without worrying about whether or not it's locked. On the other hand, fire safety does NOT require that people be able to ENTER via any door, so it would be quite reasonable for secondary doors to be locked from the outside but have a "panic bar" to open them from the inside.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X