This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally have a diagnosis

After almost 20 years, part of that is because it wasn't well known for a while, another part is just as soon as I'd start making headway testing I'd move and be discouraged about having to start all over again.

I have fibromyalgia.

When I left the Dr's office I sat in the car and cried a good 20-40 minutes.
    I FINALLY have an answer. I FINALLY have something I can point to and say this is what I'm going through.
    Maybe now I can get some understanding from fiancé.

My understanding is that fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exlusion (i.e. can't test for it - it's only after tests for everything else that can cause the symptoms come up negative that you get diagnosed with fibro since it's the only possibility left). That would explain why the testing takes so long - it's not one test, it's a test for each of the other possibilities.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

*very gentle hugs* Sometimes just knowing exactly what you're dealing with can make a huge difference. Here's to a successful treatment plan and better quality of life for you.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Having a name for what ails you is an important thing. When I was told what was wrong with my knees was arthritis, I was very relieved.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I understand the relief of finally having a name for a puzzling health problem. I also understand the frustration of knowing it's something chronic that can't be cured, but can at least be treated to handle the health effects and symptoms.
          Last year at this time, I finally received a diagnosis for something that had eluded the doctors for over 3 years. My labs were showing a problem, and my body said something was wrong, but other tests to rule out certain conditions always came back negative.
          I'm sure it was going on for years but my old doctor missed it, and then he got sick and retired and I was without medical care for several years.
          Finally, I found a new doctor, and he didn't give up until there was a diagnosis.
          Like fibromyalgia, there's no actual cure, but it's not usually fatal, and can be treated.
          Just knowing it has a name, though, goes a long way because up to that point, I was feeling like the doctors thought it was all in my head.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

When I was finally diagnosed with scoliosis I was happy to know that the work injuries were not due to anything I'd done wrong. I was performing duties that were aggravating it; I just didn't know that. I feel for you on the fibro, as my friend calls it. She's a nurse and works long shifts and has to endure. But she now knows it wasn't all in her head and she has a treatment plan.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Here is a bit of good news for you.

http://fibromyalgiaawareness.info/20...blood-vessels/

Hope they can set you up with some good meds in the mean time.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I don't have the peripheral pain, really, so they won't put me on lyrica. I won't take narcotics.
                I have a script for ibuprofen.

Comment

Get well soon, just pray everything will be fine. You can get some strength through your family, fiance' and friends.

Comment

Quoth lexamckenzie View Post
                    Get well soon, just pray everything will be fine. You can get some strength through your family, fiance' and friends.
                    Sadly, there is no get well soon. This is a chronic condition I will be living with the rest of my life. I can only make it manageable.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                      Sadly, there is no get well soon. This is a chronic condition I will be living with the rest of my life. I can only make it manageable.
                      I'm so sorry. On the one hand, it has a name, finally. On the other hand, this is a horrible disease. I know several people with it, and they are miserable. Exercising is good for you because it'll help, but moving in general *hurts* and it won't go away. Don't let this defeat you. Come and complain anytime you want. We'll listen.

Comment

Make sure you have regular blood tests for your kidney function if you are taking ibuprofen frequently. Just like acetaminophen can damage your liver, ibuprofen and naproxen can damage your kidneys. There are many on dialysis from NSAID use. If you get the blood tests, you can find out about problems before it's too late.

Comment

I don't take it all that often, only on bad days.

Comment

Working...
                          X