• Show
Clear All

Quoth Seshat View Post
    What's sundowning?
    From Wikipedia: Sundowning.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
      Ugh. I know the brand you are talking about. They should be withdrawn from the market for the very reason you cite. Hospitals buy them because they are cheaper than the other types. But they are very dangerous.
      I had to laugh today. We have an anonymous hotline which employees can call if they have a question or concern about something within the organization. Then they pick a few questions and send out answers in a weekly e-mail. I called a few weeks ago about the IV sets. The response was the poster child for reading comprehension fail. I was complaining about the IV needle and its (lack of) safety features. The response was telling me how the organization has gone to needless IV sets and how I shouldn't have to worry about needle sticks because I shouldn't be using needles with the tubing and stuff.

Exactly how am I meant to get the IV in the patient, then?

I also complained about the leaky tubing. I was assured it was the most secure tubing and if I notice a drop of blood on the end of the hub to just wipe it off with an alcohol pad. Frankly, it's not the blood I was worried about. I'm more concerned about the radioactive contamination. That stupid hub has dripped on me at least twice and last time I had to leave my scrub top in the lead cabinet overnight so the radioactivity could decay.

This new push for a "culture of safety" they're doing really makes me laugh sometimes.

ETA: Luckily, Boss Lady says those IV sets are being looked at by the higher ups and should be going away soon. I really hope we go back to the ones with a spring-loaded needle. Push the button and the needle pops into the plastic casing. Only way you're getting a needle stick with those is if you're being an idiot.
      Last edited by jedimaster91; 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Panacea I have chronic back problems not health problems. They are hoping this surgery will take care of that problem, so there is no real reason for a PICC line.
        Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
          That's a real shame. I'm betting some form of dementia. When people with dementia end up in the hospital, they act that way because they are frightened . . . they don't know where they are or why they are there.
          That is why when my mom fell earlier this year I stayed in hospital with her [alzheimers] the 3 days she was admitted so she would have someone she knew around her, also I have her medical power of atty.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            From Wikipedia: Sundowning.
            Thanks, Ironclad Alibi. That's helpful.

(I should have looked it up myself. Duh.)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              The response was telling me how the organization has gone to needless IV sets and how I shouldn't have to worry about needle sticks because I shouldn't be using needles with the tubing and stuff.

Exactly how am I meant to get the IV in the patient, then?
              Oh good lord. A classic example of why non-medical people should not be making purchasing decisions . . .

I also complained about the leaky tubing. I was assured it was the most secure tubing and if I notice a drop of blood on the end of the hub to just wipe it off with an alcohol pad. Frankly, it's not the blood I was worried about. I'm more concerned about the radioactive contamination. That stupid hub has dripped on me at least twice and last time I had to leave my scrub top in the lead cabinet overnight so the radioactivity could decay.

This new push for a "culture of safety" they're doing really makes me laugh sometimes.
              Oh my!

I'd leave the top there and never bring it home. I don't need to glow in the dark.

But yeah, it makes me laugh when I hear administrators talk their bs about a culture of safety. Injuries seem to increase soon there after . . . .

ETA: Luckily, Boss Lady says those IV sets are being looked at by the higher ups and should be going away soon. I really hope we go back to the ones with a spring-loaded needle. Push the button and the needle pops into the plastic casing. Only way you're getting a needle stick with those is if you're being an idiot.
              I like those. They're great . . . no chance at all to stick yourself once you hit the button. They're tricky to use at first though, takes a bit of a learning curve. But once you get used them, they're awesome.

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
              Panacea I have chronic back problems not health problems. They are hoping this surgery will take care of that problem, so there is no real reason for a PICC line.
              Oops. Sorry.

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Thanks, Ironclad Alibi. That's helpful.

(I should have looked it up myself. Duh.)
              Or I could have just been more clear with my post. Sorry about that . . . I should define the jargon I throw around.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                Or I could have just been more clear with my post. Sorry about that . . . I should define the jargon I throw around.
                Now that would just take the challenge out of reading your posts. If you explained everything, I'd have find another reason to use Google.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                  Try a mind-boggling THIRTEEN (yes you read that correctly) attempts to get an IV in me the last time I was hospitalized (severe reaction to an antibiotic + dehydration) - they eventually called - you guessed it - the anesthesiologist! He got it on his first try (I'd gone thru 2 phlebotomists, 1 nurse and a resident all attempting before the anesthesiologist was called.) This scares me... I go for a 2-week phlebotomy practical at my local hospital starting May 16!!!

I have you beat with 17 tries, lol. It always takes at least 5 or more tries and at least 3 people to stick me. I always tell them I am a hard stick and I don't mean any offense but please let someone with experience with hard to hit veins try first. And of course the nurse gets all offended and says she can do it and misses 2 or 3 times and calls someone else in. If they would just listen and not think I am being a meanie. Plus the fact I am scared to death of IV's or getting blood drawn because of a childhood experience with 2 nurses holding me down when I was 7 while another nurse DUG the needle all around my hand trying to hit the vain and then telling me to stop screaming so she could concentrate

Anyway with my pregnancies I had hypermesis really bad. I could not even hold water down so I was in the hospital several times during each pregnancy on IV's getting pumped with fluids and anti nausea meds. I could not hold down the oral meds so they did not do any good. I was in there and of course being a hard stick and dehydrated I warned them and the nurse wanted to try anyway. She tried and I think 4 other nurses tried. It got to the point they blew 3 or 4 veins. Then it got to the point there was a nurse holding each arm while the nurses on either side was trying both arms, wrists, and hands. Poking me at the same time It brought back the memories of me at 7 and I started freaking out. My husband didn't know what to do and was slowly having a panic attack over the situation I think. He left the room to go to the front desk at the ER and tell them what was going on. Finally an administrator came running in and saw the nurses holding my arms with 2 nurses pricking me at the same time and ordered them all out of the room. She brought in another person, not sure what their job was. They gave me something in the mask to help calm me down and slowly tried and got me on their second try. They made a remark it was a miracle I had any veins left after those 4 nurses got ahold of me There were 17 pokes in all including the two the guy did.

The administrator came back in to see me after I was feeling better and told me to fill out a complaint form. I was so relieved about feeling a little better that I was not even thinking about filling a formal complaint. She said she was horrified at how I was treated and she would be taking disciplinary action with the nurses. I told her I even warned them about my veins and they insisted on trying anyway. I was so bruised and sore I looked like someone beat me.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    I'd leave the top there and never bring it home. I don't need to glow in the dark.
                    Eh, it's a 6 hour half-life gamma emitter. Overnight is plenty of time for it to decay to background and the tracer itself is not dangerous. But it is annoying to have to wear stuff from the hospital laundry that's 4 sizes too big.

Quoth Panacea View Post
                    I like those. They're great . . . no chance at all to stick yourself once you hit the button. They're tricky to use at first though, takes a bit of a learning curve. But once you get used them, they're awesome.
                    I rarely miss with those. The ones I seem to miss the most often are the butterfly ones (not the infusion/blood draw sets, the actual IV) followed closely by our current crappy, unsafe ones.
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Worst experience with an IV? Back of my hand, hurt like the devil going in (and I have by the way *fantastic* veins) and then every. single. time. anythign went thru it, it hurt to the point where I was screaming. Another nurse came by & had a look, told me the point was up against the valve? or something? (please correct/inform me here). After it was taken out, it blew up like a balloon, and after weeks and finally getting cream from the doc for it, the vein just.. disappeared I'm not even kidding, it's no longer even visible. All the rest are. I have no idea what causes this or what it means??

... Funny thing (well, horrible thing) happened similar was when I was preg with my daughter, I had to have very regular blood tests, and one time I got a different nurse... Now, I have, as I said, FANTASTIC big veins. They usually take blood from my right inside-of-elbow. First thing this lady did that confused me was go for the left? I even pointed it out... *shrugs* OK, no worries, how bad can it be?

... She put the needle in ACROSS THE VEIN. I don't know the medical terminology here but it was screamingly painful and took a huge amount of time just to get 1 vial of blood - and they needed I think half a dozen. I ended up making them stop after a couple. For the rest of the week, I had rippling bruises going out my whole arm, from fingertip to shoulder. It looked horrific!

But what'd have to take the cake would be when my daughter was in Starship (Childrens' hospital, lovely place actually) to get her tonsils out. Last day, about to leave, and the nurse comes by to take the drip out of her arm. She turns, for JUST ONE MOMENT... And MiniMe rips the whole thing out It was jetting blood like a geyser! The poor nurse went white as a sheet - but managed to sort everything out. Luckily, MiniMe was more concerned about the blood on her shirt than any pain (or the sight of so much blood), but phewwww!
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                        *huge hugs to your friend* Good night. So many unacceptable things going on in this story.

First of all, you do *not* just rip out an IV. Even if it's been put in wrong the first time (which I'm convinced you should always get an anesthesiologist to do IVs anyway. They're better at it than a lot of nurses), you remove the damn thing carefully and slowly. Because, yes, improper placement and removal of those things will leave a baseball-sized bruise. I know this first-hand.

Second, you do *not* badmouth patients behind their backs while you're on the clock. If you want to vent about a patient you disliked, do it at home on your own time. Not at the freakin' desk where someone is definitely going to end up overhearing and it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

Thirdly....calling someone a bitch like it's her fault, rather than owning up to the fact that you're the one who messed up the IV and caused her to be in so much pain? So not right.
                        I was having major surgery on a broken foot, and they put the IV in wrong, and my arm started to blow up like a balloon. 20 minutes later during which time i was banging on the call button and no nurse... so slowly i pull it out... Its rather disturbing though, for something like that to happen...
                        There Can Be Only One

Comment

Working...
                        X