This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
    You have absolutely no way of knowing the actual chemical content of any plant unless you have a serious amount of training and experience.
    Quoted for absolute truth.

THIS is why I use pharmaceuticals rather than herbals, except when the herbal is known to be non-dangerous if taken in 'excess'. For instance, I'll have a lemon and honey 'tea' when I have a cold and want my sinuses cleared; both lemon and honey can be taken safely at much greater than the 'roughly a teaspoon' I use.

But unless the 'herbal medicine' is something like that, really, really think hard about how you 'know' the dosage of the active chemical in the herbal medicine; how you know impurities - especially dangerous ones - have been removed; and how you know that the dosage is effective for your particular situation.

You know ... the stuff that the medical profession has been working on since the first empirical test for scurvy medications, back in the Age of Sail.
    (Yeah, there've been a lot of blunders, too. But that's when empirical testing in western medicine really started kicking off.)
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There are some things I try at home before I go to the doc's office and somethings I do to keep problems at bay.

Neti-pot for stuffed sinuses. This is something my ENT suggested for when I have a stuffy nose that is semi-dry, rather than running. He gave strict instructions on how to make the solution and how often I should do it. (I also used it when dealing with a neighbor who refused to stop burning things for a week... the goo was BLACK, but I prevented the doctor's trip with it.)

Heat/ice packs depending on joint pain/headache issues. Migraines get an ice pack, sore muscles get a heat pack. Then just OTC pain relievers, unless it's a migraine. Then I'd use the sumatriptan.

Aloe for mild burns. I don't use this on cuts or bites.. just burns, after applying ice pack or cold water to stop the burn. I had to break my grandmother of butter for burns... >.< By mild, I mean the level of a gentle sunburn. Anything worse, I either call my doc or go in.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I believe in peppermint for upset stomachs, calms it down every single time. Ginger is also good for that too.

It's well known that chamomile tea relaxes you and makes you sleepy. Valerian root does the same thing.

Gentian violet helps yeasty diaper rashes.

Some herbal remedies do work.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          It's well known that chamomile tea relaxes you and makes you sleepy. Valerian root does the same thing.
          Though chamomile smells and tastes much, much better.
          Some herbal remedies do work, on mild problems. I don't mind applying aloe gel to sunburn, or drinking chamomile tea for sleeplessness. Something more serious than that, or something affecting a child, I go to the doctor. You don't mess about with serious health problems
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post

My aunt once said, "Doctors don't know anything. You can cure anything with natural herbs."

I replied, "Okay, what natural herbs do you recommend for a gunshot wound to the chest?"
            We've learned oodles in the past 100 years about the body and how it works, and how to use pharmaceuticals to improve health and save lives. Many of our best medications have natural sources: digoxin for the heart (foxglove), aspirin (willow bark), paralytics (curare), and penicillin (a specific kind of potato mold).

It took a lot of trial and error to under stand the chemical structure of these medications, the safe dosing thereof, and how to synthesize new medications from scratch.

It doesn't matter whether you are using something "natural" or "synthesized." You are still putting something in your body that does not normally go there, and that something is going to have effects on your body that can be unpredictable.

Using FDA approved medications means you are using something that has been studied scientifically and proven to be effective and safe. Granted, some things are given FDA approval and we find out later about other problems and have to pull them off the market. But I would rather trust medications than "herbal supplements" where there is NO evidence they work, EVIDENCE they have risks, and you can't guarantee the purity, dose or even the veracity of what's in what you are taking.

I believe in peppermint for upset stomachs, calms it down every single time. Ginger is also good for that too.

Gentian violet helps yeasty diaper rashes.

Some do. I know a lot of GI docs who don't like peppermint for stomach upset because it can actually make it worse. However, I've found it helpful. I also recommend it to my students to reduce anxiety before a test. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or if it really works, but they eat the stuff like crack cocaine right before the exam.

Ginger works very well for nausea. I often have patients sip ginger ale for mild nausea before trying medications like Phenergan or Zofran which have side effects. It works quite well. So does purple (not white) grape juice. Both work with or without the benefit of saltines.

Gentian violet is used for a lot of things, include painting umbilical cords, foot fungus, and diaper rash. It should not be used internally (ie used to treat thrush of the mouth). It will stain clothing purple.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I just remembered something a chiropractor told me once: "Cyanide is natural, but I wouldn't want to eat it."
              "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I can vouch for the ginger. When we took our cruise to Alaska last year, one night before dinner, when the seas had been pretty choppy all day, my stomach was just not happy. About 3 in the afternoon, we went back to the cabin, ate a few handfuls of the ginger snaps I'd brought on board with me, and the stomach felt much better within the hour. Was able to enjoy dinner that night, along with the show in the lounge afterwards.
                That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post

My aunt once said, "Doctors don't know anything. You can cure anything with natural herbs."

I replied, "Okay, what natural herbs do you recommend for a gunshot wound to the chest?"
                  That's simple: Place one calla lilly in the patient's right hand, and cross his arms over his chest. Of course, this particular herbal remedy would be prescribed by the undertaker.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    That's simple: Place one calla lilly in the patient's right hand, and cross his arms over his chest. Of course, this particular herbal remedy would be prescribed by the undertaker.
                    I don't know why I didn't think of this.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

One of my favorites is tincture of St. John's Wort, administered orally against depression.

The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post
                        One of my favorites is tincture of St. John's Wort, administered orally against depression.

I use this one too. I'm a fan of using herbals when possible, but I will only treat myself, and then only minor stuff.

Ok, ok, recurring depression isn't exactly 'minor' but falls under the category of 'I've been living with me all my life, I know how my moods cycle.' And I know, from experience, exactly what effect the St. John's Wort will have, and how long it takes (I'm also fully aware that any and all effects from the miniscule dosage that I actually use are probably entirely psychosomatic.).

I know anti-depressants have come a long way but I'm still incredibly wary of taking any of them. My hind-brain keeps insisting that if I ever go the route of prescription anti-depressants that I'll wind up becoming a happy zombie. I KNOW this isn't necessarily the case; some of my friends are on AD meds, but try convincing the primitive ape living under the computer table in my head that it'd be ok.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                          Using FDA approved medications means you are using something that has been studied scientifically and proven to be effective and safe. Granted, some things are given FDA approval and we find out later about other problems and have to pull them off the market.
                          Quote from a lady who had extensive knowledge of pharmacuticals (I can't remember if she was a biochemist who made meds or a pharmacist) before quitting and becoming an acupuncurist and herbalist:

"If it hasn't been on the market for 10 years, I don't take it."

And this was something she was told by either a professor, boss, or a physician. And I take it to heart. Because after 10 years all of the side effects should be known.

Meanwhile don't get my ring of karate friends started.... they're all HUGE on natural remedies and my karate teacher rants all the time about the 'evils' of western medicine, 'greedy' docs and hospitals, and the 'corrupt and devilish' FDA. I've learned to tune them out pretty well. And if it gets out of hand, to ask something about the 12 Principles of Power, Martial Arts philosophy, or smithing and get the subject changed.
                          "There is a sadist inside me. She likes cake." - Krys Wolf, my friend

In a coffee shop in Whitehouse, Texas: "Unsupervised children will be given two shots of espresso and a free puppy."

Comment

Oi! He does realize that back before we had modern medicine a huge number of babies DIED, right? Infant mortality has always been huge until the modern day.

The only concern I would have is the babies digestive flora, since the antibiotics will take them down too. Breast feeding or probiotics would help with that, although I'm not sure about probiotics for a baby.

Comment

Quoth Divra View Post

St. John's Wort has been studied extensively and not proven to work. I don't recommend it. Any benefit is likely the placebo effect (but if that works for you, go for it). It can cause increased bleeding times and other side effects with other medications, so use with caution.

Quoth AlmightyALT View Post
                              Quote from a lady who had extensive knowledge of pharmacuticals (I can't remember if she was a biochemist who made meds or a pharmacist) before quitting and becoming an acupuncurist and herbalist:

"If it hasn't been on the market for 10 years, I don't take it."

And this was something she was told by either a professor, boss, or a physician. And I take it to heart. Because after 10 years all of the side effects should be known.
                              I'm skeptical of the blockbuster drugs for similar reasons. The FDA was badly politicized in the 90s, and hasn't been doing its job very well. We've had a string of drug scandals where data was manipulated to get a drug on the market that later proved harmful.

The FDA has been cleaning that up of late, and new legislation is making it easier to take the politics out of drug approval. But I read the literature very carefully, and I'm hesitatant to take certain drugs.

For example, my doc wanted to put me on Lipitor last year when my cholesterol was high. I have high blood pressure and multiple risk factors for cardiac disease so I understand his point of view on this. But I told him no thanks, adjusted my diet, and brought my cholesterol levels down on their own. They've been normal my whole life, so I wasn't going to start taking a drug that is not proven to prevent heart attacks or reduce mortality/increase life span (it is only proven to reduce cholesterol, which is actually a good thing in those patients who are unable to do it through dietary changes) based on ONE abnormal lab result.

I may start taking Lipitor in the future if I can't keep my cholesterol controlled through diet. It's actually time for me to have my level rechecked, so we'll see.

Comment

She's exclusively breastfed. One thing my sister has always been good about is extended breastfeeding of her babies.
                                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                                X