Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I must still retain some of the optimism of my youth. A container of acid exploded in my wife's car. The insurance company gave us the option of totaling it or giving us $20 under the car value and we could keep the car. My wife wanted to total it, I decided to keep it.

I've neutralized all the acid with a baking soda/water slurry. It remains to be seen if anything can be done regarding the stains in the upholstery.

Even my optimism wouldn't extend to a molten slag pile.
    You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
      ... would appear out of thin air ...
      The air's not thin enough. Every time they try, the air goes C² and the entire neighborhood goes straight to hockey-sticks with a *much* hotter fire.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

The fire department is literally two blocks away from us. The reason we beat them to the scene is because the confused lady called us first.... had she called the proper authorities in the proper order, that wouldn't have happened
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I had a metro do that once, rolled it up the offramp and ran 2 blocks to nearest intersection looking for a payphone or business. Turned in a circle going "no phone, no phone, no phone.......firetruck!!!?" Walked through the open garage door of a fire station "um yeah hi.....so my car is burning right behind you guys......" Being quite unsure what SOP was for that particular situation, they handed me a phone so they could be dispatched as they started suiting up lol.

Comment

I guess she could take this approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Several months ago now, my husband heard a strange sound outside our house. He had his cell phone in his pocket, so when he went outside and saw a car on fire parked in front of our/our neighbour's house, he started to call emergency.

Then he realised 'Oh shit. There's a car on fire and I'm walking TOWARDS it! What am I DOING?'

(The rest of the story involves standard sensible-person decisions, alerting of neighbour, fire department arriving and putting car out, etc. And is thus fairly boring.)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                S... There's a car on fire and I'm walking TOWARDS it!
                I forgot the marshmallows!

Comment

Quoting the movie Speed, Argabarga?
                  Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    I forgot the marshmallows!
                    Reminds me of one of my stories where Brenda heard an explosion in the middle of the night. She and her cousin ran outside to see the already wrecked remains of her Lamboghini Coutach turned into a giant bonfire.

Her hubby arrived home shortly thereafter to find the pair roasting hot dogs on toasting forks.

Let's just say Brenda has her own way of getting lemons thrown at her and turning them into a pie.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
                      I can't believe anyone still breathing can be that stupid.
                      I'm sorry, HOW LONG have you been a member of this site?

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      Reminds me of one of my stories where Brenda heard an explosion in the middle of the night. She and her cousin ran outside to see the already wrecked remains of her Lamboghini Coutach turned into a giant bonfire.
                      I'm sorry, but who is this Brenda, how did she happen to have a Countach, why was it already wrecked, and why if it was already wrecked did she still have? I'm trying--and failing-- to wrap my ind around this one.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        For a commodity car (Taurus falls into this category), it's time to look for a replacement.
                        There are far too many Taurus sedans around that they'll never be worth anything. Same with the Tempo, Accords, Corollas, and similar cars. Some of you know that I had an engine fire some years back. As I was driving home, my Tempo's engine blew up Car then got hit, and was a write-off. Even though the body was reasonably straight, it wasn't worth fixing. Just about everything under the hood was fried--the engine alone would have cost about $2,000! Throw in the body damage, and it's no wonder the car got scrapped.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I'd say idiot of the year, but I don't know....there are mechanics on this board, do you folks this thing is salvageable? Or worth it if it is?
                          With a few rare exceptions, once the fire has reached the passenger compartment, you can consider it totaled. Once the fire has damaged that much of the car, absolutely everything about the car will be considered 'questionable'. For a Ford Taurus (and I'm assuming an older one), it was probably totaled once flames were visible from under the hood. Ford stamped out millions of those things, they can be replaced for relatively low cost, and as a general rule, they don't hold any special value. Even the 'SHO' models aren't all that damned precious.

The exceptions I mentioned would be if the car was something really special and rare - for example, a DOCUMENTED former movie prop car (that little Ranchero that Mr. Fixx drove in Goldfinger would be a very good example of this), or a super-rare model like the practically non-existent 1969 Mustang Economy Specials, or an original, documented, Playmate-owned Playmate Special Mustang. That said, it would still be super-expensive to repair something that badly damaged.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            I'm sorry, HOW LONG have you been a member of this site?

I'm sorry, but who is this Brenda, how did she happen to have a Countach, why was it already wrecked, and why if it was already wrecked did she still have? I'm trying--and failing-- to wrap my ind around this one.
                            I could be wrong about this, but isn't the Countach an older model? I'm told you can find the older Lambos in fairly reasonable condition for semi-cheap - I cannot recall where I heard this, but I think it might have been a radio program, where someone was discussing having purchased an older Lamborghini for 'only' $40K - expensive by most folks' standards, for sure, but hell, a fully-loaded Mustang can cost easily that much, and still won't go as fast. Or look look half as sinister.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              ... one of my stories ... Lamborghini Contach turned into a giant bonfire...
                              Quoth Jester View Post
                              ... who is this Brenda...
                              Brenda exists in a different ficton than we do. This is the ficton where the characters are allowed to marinate in the delusion that they are real before being tossed back into Adventure Land.

(Adventure: Some one else having a really hellacious time.)

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                                With a few rare exceptions, once the fire has reached the passenger compartment, you can consider it totaled. Once the fire has damaged that much of the car, absolutely everything about the car will be considered 'questionable'.
                                And even then you might not be safe.

As if to drive the point home, we had a BMW 330xi towed in today that had a smoldering fire start under the hood that only got a chance to eat the wiring harnesses on the drivers side, plus one of the vacuum canisters. Didn't even hurt the paint or bodywork, but, the bill for that is going to be something since the entire car is going to have to be re-wired, and, the molten plastic dripped down onto the steering link and fouled it up, so that will have to be replaced.

THe car didn't burn to the waterline, so to speak, but, the owner might wish it had when it's all said and done, buying a new car on the insurance company's dime would've taken a lot less time and hassle.
                                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X