This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to those bad Boy Scouts

I would like to thank the Boy Scouts (With identifiable shirts with their Troop Number and who sponsors them) for attempting to take sex books (and apparently taking the Jenna Jameson Biography cover) and hiding in some corner of my store. Oh, and taking of manga and leaving them in a pile in Romance? Excellent.

I will be writing to the local Boy Scouts of America office in my town and report of this incident. I hope your troop is dishonorably disbanded due to this.

Hmm, perhaps not disbnded, but certainly in need of supervision.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

The troop prolly won't be disbanded, but if the troop is up to any standard I'm sure they will discipline those boys. Maybe you'll have some helpers on weekends.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
        I would like to thank the Boy Scouts (With identifiable shirts with their Troop Number and who sponsors them) for attempting to take sex books (and apparently taking the Jenna Jameson Biography cover) and hiding in some corner of my store. Oh, and taking of manga and leaving them in a pile in Romance? Excellent.

I will be writing to the local Boy Scouts of America office in my town and report of this incident. I hope your troop is dishonorably disbanded due to this.
        It would work better to write their sponsor. Or, if you can dig up their leader.

Comment

Is it wrong that I'm snickering?
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

How precocious.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

As a Assistant Scout Master for my local troop I can say that your best efforts will go towards finding the Scout Master of the troop and adressing your issues with him.

Odds are the troop will not be disbanded, but if the troop is well led then the scouts will get a serious talking to.

Beyond that, if that fails talk to the chartered organization behind the troop (usually a church or school and likely the same place as the meeting place). If they're a church then they'll REALLY take a dim view of the scouts reading the sex stuff unless it's reference materials.

Mongo
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Alright I'm calm now since I read the post. Was about to go crazy when I saw the topic title ^^; (I am a member of the BSA, been one since back in 4th grade, and became an adult leader recently)

find out who the troops adult leaders are. Contact the adult leaders of the troop first if you can find them, and if not or if the leaders do nothing, contact the area council's HQ about your concerns , if you remember which area council contact the area council's HQ (see below for info)

A scout is, according to the scout law: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, Reverent

Lets see which ones they broke: Trustworthy (I can only guess why)
                Courteous
                Obedient (Refusal to follow rules)
                Clean and Reverent (Gee I wonder why.... -_-)

go to www.scouting.org if you remember which council/state they were in, if it was a local troop, you can also go to this page on their site

http://www.scouting.org/media/lcl.aspx

as this will give you area council via zip code (most council's are fairly large) and also all contact info you'd need.
                Last edited by WhiteWolf; 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Girl Guide leader (and lifetime member) here - go to the troop leader. He is responsible for (a) teaching the boys the Scout values, and (b) supervising them while they are in uniform.

If handled correctly, this can be a teaching opportunity; poorly, and you'll turn off a bunch of kids who seem to me to be in fairly specific NEED of Boy Scout values. They are there to learn, and punishing *them* for not having learned yet won't help.

Comment

They're going to grow up to be real pick of the litter men!
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Please do not think for a minute that I am condoning or excusing what these scouts did, but as a former Eagle, I can attest that this kind of thing is not that unusual for Boy Scouts. They, like most males their age, are horny and curious. When I was in Scouts, all sorts of misinformation was shared and sex was a common interest in my troop. That does not change the fact, though, that these boys need to be called on what they did and need to be taught that this is not proper behavior. Even if the genre of the books and magazines was "family", making a mess like that is not proper behavior.

By all means write of call the local BSA Council office and report this troop. The Council will contact the leadership of the troop and may even get involved in whatever discipline is given out. They probably will not be disbanded, but they will be taught a lesson and the consequences of what they did.
                      "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                      .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Sorry if I misunderstood; but, did you mean they tried to shoplift the books?

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          They're going to grow up to be real pick of the litter men!
                          Not everyone grows up to be the pope or the prime minister. But of the people I know and am still aware of their whereabouts that were in my scout troop:

1 is in prison
                          1 has been in and out of jail and may go to prison
                          1 is in the army and raising a family
                          1 is supporting his wife (who has cancer) and has a family
                          8 are regular churchgoing fathers with families and are "normal"
                          1 is struggling in his marriage
                          1 bought his mother a house free and clear and is starting a family in his own house which was purchased free and clear
                          1 is in Iraq as a Secret Service agent
                          7 are regular guys with families (some dysfunctional, some not)

3 I have no contact with and do not know their situation

Even if the three I don't know what happened to turned out bad that still means that 21 (including me) out of 26 turned out all right. That's about 4 out of 5 and that is not bad. And I think if you asked everyone (even the bad apples) if they benefitted from scouting, that everyone would say yes.

The 2 that are in prison/jail got into drugs and illegal activities. I'm sure they would tell you that if they had stuck to the things taught in scouts they wouldn't be where they are now.

That said, even Boy Scouts need a reminder once in a while of what they are supposed to be doing, following and acting like. Let them know. If the leader is worth his salt he'll straighten them out. If not...the sponsoring organization or the area council will likely be able to straghten the leader and the boys out.

As a leader, my Dad once kicked one of the boys in the butt to straighten him out.(He deserved it as he was being disrespectful, disobedient, hurt one of the boys in the troop and almost started a forest fire and was being belligerent about the whole situation, threatening to fight everybody etc.) The kid's Dad (who was at the commissary when the kid got kicked) laughed when the kid was walked into the commissary (chicken-winged) by my Father and told his dad my father had kicked him in the butt. When my father explained why, his Dad was furious and told him, "I don't know what you were thinking. If it was me I would've tanned your hide with my belt. You're lucky I don't do that right now. Now apologize to your leaders and go apologize to Tom!!" That was the ONLY time that my father EVER had to use physical force to knock some sense into one of the scouts. Usually he would just talk to us privately about the scout oath and the scout law etc. It was lucky that 3 LARGE fire extinguishers were on hand because the forest we were camping in was tinder dry. (That kid was the one that has been in and out of jail and may go to prison)
                          You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Comment withheld due to anti fratching policy, but the gist of it is: Who cares?
                            Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
                            I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Comment

Working...
                            X