Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing which I've found usefull is to step back on one foot only, and use the leg thats left behind as a barrier, your torso will have a little more space and you can maintain some semblance of a 'bubble'. This is especially useful on people who keep closing the gap.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth K245five View Post

Also, older folks seem to violate personal space by getting right up in your face when talking to you. Almost like nose-to-nose sometimes.
      My grandmother is hard of hearing, so that might be why. Just maybe that is why
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I've never had problems with customers, but I did once have my choir director come up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders, to close to my neck. In my suprise, I dropped to the floor and rolled out of the way. I don't like people touching my neck.
        I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

Quoth Delphae View Post
          I don't like people touching my neck.
          I agree completely. Stranger or not, the minute a hand touches my neck that I do not see coming and fully anticipate, I will freak out. My dad unintentionally did this to me once in public, and I screeched and crumpled to the floor as a reflex. Imagine the looks I got =D.

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
            I really could care less.

OK, sorry to be a language nazi, but this is one of those things like "cheap at half the price" that is massively misused.

It's "I couldn't care less." :P Could care less means you care at some level.

Comment

Oh, I hate being touched by strangers too.

I am a waitress and I've had my arm grabbed (by another waitress's customer) while I was walking by a table, or I'll be taking orders and someone behind me at another table will touch my back. I just instinctively pull away. I know that might seem rude to them but I can't help it. I can't stand a stranger touching me.

I also hate being called honey, dear or sweetie by customers that I am waiting on. I am NOT your honey, I am NOT your dear and I am NOT your sweetie. I have a name (we put our name tags on our tables, so customers know our names, if they choose to read the tag), so use my name, or miss, or waitress, or ma'am. Anything other than a term of endearment that only my family has the right to call me.

Comment

I one time had a man in JCPenney actually grab me by the shoulders and gently push me aside so he could get on the escalator first. I was probably about 12 at the time, and it wasn't where he touched me in places he shouldn't have. It was more of "I"m in a hurry and get out of my way" thing. Even then, I felt how rude this was, and I'm sure today, that man would never touch a child that is not his own because he was in a God damned hurry.

Comment

At the gas station it might have bugged me at times but for the most part it doesn't phase me. Even where I work now if someone from a different department was to put their hand on my shoulder, my first thought would probably be more along the lines of "crap...I should know their name shouldn't I?" than anything else. There are of course lines that I don't like to be crossed but there are very few people who I get defensive about my personal space with.

Even with that mentality, I do think people should be more aware of other's personal space and be respectful of that.
                  "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                  X