This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure you can talk to Management

Just as a little background, I have worked my way far up the corporate ladder to the point where I now answer to the owners. We have several smaller companies under our umbrella (ie all owned by the parent company). Most people in the industry would recognize my company's name but may not realize that some of these other small companies are actually us.

Not terribly sucky but a lot of fun on my part.

I was at this particular location filling in and doing some troubleshooting and training. We had had a problem with the service foreman who ended up walking out. I am kind of the lead guy in the company when it comes to our manufacturing and service software and procedures, so Eben56 had to leave his home, wife, and cat to spend a couple weeks in New Hampshire.

WE also have a policy at our company that if the phone rings, it does not matter who you are, you answer it and handle the call.

(some of this is hearsay from the GM at the location)

SC: Guess
    ME: The one and only
    GM: Location manager
    (edited for brevity)

ME: Thank you for call TEAM ***, this is Eben56. How can I help you?
    SC: I just talked to your service guy and he quoted me about testing my Backflow preventer (State law every two years). I got no problem with the test charges but the mileage seems a little excessive.
    ME: Yes sir, I can see how that would look, but gas is very high now, and if you will notice, we do not charge our hourly labor for the travel, just the mileage.
    SC: Can you do any better, we are a big company and will want you to do more of these.
    (While listening to him, I google his business and do a D&B check. They are legit and a fairly good credit risk)
    ME: OK, How about a flat $30.00 for travel (regular chg about 47.00)?
    SC: OK sounds good.
    ME: If you will give me a fax number, I can send you a credit app for future business, but for this call, I will need a CC number.
    SC: WE only pay after the job.
    ME: I understand that sir, and we will not charge you until our tech returns with the signed work order.
    SC: No, we only pay after the entire job. I am pretty sure there are going to be repairs needed and we will only pay after receiving a bill sent to corporate.
    ME: I'm sorry sir sir, you do not have an account with us so I am afraid I must ask for the payment with either cash, check, or CC upon testing.
    SC: WE don't do that.. You don't understand, we are a big company and we must be billed.
    ME: Sir.. If Walmart called right now I would say the same thing. Until you set up an account, you are COD.
    SC: Let me speak to the manager.
    ME: OK

GM: This is GM, can I help you?
    SC: I just talked to one of you employees named Eben56 and he says all our work will be COD until we have our credit approved.
    GM: That is correct.
    SC: WE a very big company, we don't do business that way.
    GM: I am sorry, but without approval from the corporate offices in Maine, we can not extend credit to anyone who does not have an account with us. It would only take a couple or three days to set up an account if you would like to send us a credit app.
    SC: I don't have 3 days, I need this BF approved now or I could face a fine.
    (the truth begins to come out, A NH inspector gave him 10 days to get his cert. He has now waited 8 of those 10 days)
    GM: All we need is a CC or a check.
    SC: I need to talk to someone with authority.
    (My personal belief is that he does not want to go to HIS corp and admit he screwed up)
    GM: Would you like to speak to someone from Corporate?
    SC: Yes please.. I want to talk to someone who knows how the business needs to be run.
    GM: Fine sir let me transfer you.....

ME: Hi, this is Eben56, can I help you?
    SC: I was supposed to be transferred to someone in corporate.
    ME: You were.
    SC: ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
    ME: I'm from the home office and GM's boss. Can I now get your CC number or do we just cancel the test.
    SC: Visa XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX exp XX/09
    ME: Thanks, The tech will be there in the AM. If you send us the credit app. I am sure we can get it approved before the needed repairs.

I hate having to go to places around the country when there are problems. But occasionally these gems come up.

(I often do not LOOK corporate when at a division. I like to be comfortable and wear the company uniform and sneakers)

Too long I know.
    Eben56
    If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

No, not too long- that gave me my early morning (okay well almost 11AM here but I worked til almost 2 last night and didn't get to bed til much later) chuckle that I desperatly (sp?) needed.

Tales of SC's being beaten at their own game are never too long.
    Yes- I'm the supervisor today
    Yes I'm young
    Get Over It.....and have a nice day

Comment

Really

That was not too long.

THAT WAS SWEET!

Comment

*standing ovation*
        Fantastic!
        Wish I could've seen the SC's face when he found out the sweet sweet truth.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

That was excellent. Bravisimo to you good sir.
          "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

I liked the way he just STFU and gave the CC#

Comment

Just like the Chapelle skit. "I AM THE MANAGER BEEEOTCH!!!

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                Just like the Chapelle skit. "I AM THE MANAGER BEEEOTCH!!!
                Too funny! It was great how the SC shut up and let Eben56 take care of business.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That was so beautiful, Eben56! And the post was NOT too long. I love reading stuff like this.
                  "Damn, I'm good!"-Dr. Who

Comment

great stuff

for some reason i love stories like this!!
                    We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Well played there . . .

It's nice for a change to hear about someone being politely being put in their place.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Thanks, what I have found is that most people automatically think they are speaking to a nobody. We have fairly clear but flexible rules at our company. If our receptionist had told the guy the same thing... And she would have. No one at corp would override unless she had gone against policy.

You want your Backflow preventor tested and certified? Get Walmart to do it. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! n
                        Eben56
                        If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

I love stories like this as well. I wish some of the people above me had half the spine shown in this story. Not sure if you would be able to answer this, but does everyone who calls corporate almost always get what they want?

Comment

Quoth burnedout View Post
                            Not sure if you would be able to answer this, but does everyone who calls corporate almost always get what they want?
                            Here, it is entirely upon merit. Ie, a customer and his issue may be elevated to corp, but there has to be extenuating circumstances. Is someone else chasing the job? Is it a very large job?

Corporate absolutely will NOT override a normal decision. If we have an issue with it, we will take it up with the DM later. The customer must never be shown disunity. It will bite you in ass later.
                            Eben56

Comment

This story reminded me of this.

It's puzzling how they go on about how "very big" they are and yet cannot seem to handle something as simple as using a credit card to pay for things.
                              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X