This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Typewriters!

Miss the feel of your old typewriter keyboard?

No, really...

You have to be "of a certain age" to get this, but check it out.

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/#gs._mH7Z=g
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Hell, there are places online that still custom-make the old-school (M90?) "clacky" keyboards with USB interfaces, or they'll even convert old ones for you
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's something about this that screams "hipster"
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

it also screams steampunk mr. hero.... i want and im not of that generation

Comment

Is it bad that I want one just because I'm old enough that I took typing class in school? You couldn't even get in the computer class until you took typing.

Comment

Hey if I could get an old IBM-PC 102 keyboard with a USB interface I WOULD be a happy camper.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I took typing classes on an IBM Selectric typewriter back when I was in high school. But I taught myself the basics on an old Underwood...I miss that typewriter so much! Here's a picture of the style of Underwood I had once upon a time:

If I could turn THAT into a USB typewriter I'd be in my glory!

Comment

I can't say I'm surprised. Check out what I found in a book store in Kentucky.

This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

That doesn't surprise me catcul. Heck, if you have a turntable with detachable speakers you can feed it directly into a computer. This just simplifies the process.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Unicomp has the rights to the Model M, which is now available with a modern USB connection
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Vinyl's coming back big time, at least for collectors. There's a store not far from my house that just opened, selling old record albums. I'm thinking about buying a turntable and looking for some copies of stuff we had years ago. Plus, I've got my brother's old albums.

At least I know how to use one of these!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                        Is it bad that I want one just because I'm old enough that I took typing class in school?
                        Nope ^_^ I want a nice Model M CLAKCLAKCLAK keyboard, as well. I can't stand quiet models, and I'm totally useless on laptop-style membrane keyboards with the tiny little keys that have no "travel" in them whatsoever. Gimme a nice, LOUD keyboard any day.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Aside from the Unicomp M I mentioned before (I actually managed to kill one), I'm using an Aula that I picked up through Amazon. Not bad, but the RETURN and \| key arrangement is kinda strange and a bit hard to use compared to the standard layout.
                          Seph
                          Taur10
                          "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Ahhh, just my kind of thread!

I've owned several typewriters, including a Remington Standard model 5 from the '40s, an Adler Gabriele from the '60s, a Smith-Corona electric from the '70s, and an IBM Wheelwriter 2000 (well, more like a word processor without the screen, but it looks the part). I don't use them terribly often, but when I feel like typing up something the old-fashioned way, they do the trick. Frankly, I think the folks at that site are going the wrong way; they should be coming up with a way to do the reverse, as seen here:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                            I AGREE

As for loud keyboards, I have a number of them, including IBM models F and M, and a Northgate OmniKey from the mid '90s. Nothing screams 'quality' quite like the sound of buckling-spring keys. Here's an audio recording of me typing normally at my Northgate keyboard.

And finally, vinyl. I became interested in LPs in the early '90s. I've accumulated several hundred of them by this point, along with numerous turntables to play them on. The resurgence in interest in vinyl has been both a blessing and a curse; while records aren't as cheap as they once were, stores which sell them are far more widespread than when I first became interested. In the beginning, the only records I could find at stores were 12" R&B/hip-hop singles; as the years went on, stores started carrying more and more full albums, in all genres. Also, used record stores are much more common than when I first started collecting. Though I'm not much of a fan of the modern Crosley turntables, I'm glad that many others are putting needle to groove these days.
                            -Adam
                            Goofy music!
                            Old tech junk!

Comment

Always liked the IBM M keyboards here. A while back, I was looking for a keyboard for my laptop, which has no ps/2 port. I've been quite happy with the model I picked up from DasKeyboard. I also love the look of confusion when someone notices that my keyboard doesn't have anything printed on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X