This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spambots

We've had three that we know about on this site so far, and I've had others on some of the other forums I run. They get signed on by humans, as far as we can tell, and then they get a bot to start PMing people automatically with a message along the lines of "Hi - I'm new here!" Their signature is a link for advertising.

Thanks to those who reported these scum quickly!

Unfortunately, this has resulted in us having to take certain actions - the spambots are always on accounts with zero posts, so unfortunately this means we've had to restrict those accounts with zero posts to not being able to PM. There's always the 'contact us' link, though, in case someone really does need to contact me with a problem.

This may impact on our ability to provide a service to people who need it, and I do regret having to do this, but I'm not putting up with those scum advertising to all and sundry.

Rapscallion

I know what you mean, Raps. We had to do the same thing at my forum, along with having all first posts moderated.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

I'm moderator on a forum that kept getting hit by spambots multiple times a day.

The thing that killed them at our forum was a math problem mod in the sign-up form. We'd ask "What is 2+3?" and no bot would be able to answer it. Combine that with purging all spambot accounts from the database, and we've been spam free since.

The problem is, spammers now have a program called XRumer. It can bypass captchas, and uses a database of open proxies, so it's impossible to block. And it has a nasty trick up it's sleeve: it posts a message asking what XRumer is. People immediately help it out by describing and linking to it, which bumps its ratings up in search engines.
      The customer is NEVER right! Unless they're nice...

Comment

I remember at Fracting I got a PM from someone saying they were new, and telling me about Buddism. That was strange. The member isn't a member there anymore. (I rarely go there, so I didn't know I had PM there til recently).
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I got one at Devil's Panties as well. Some person called Stephanie arbly messaged me saying that she's new here, and had a buddhism signature.
          Cors, I didn't reply...
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
            I remember at Fracting I got a PM from someone saying they were new, and telling me about Buddism. That was strange. The member isn't a member there anymore. (I rarely go there, so I didn't know I had PM there til recently).
            I did too, and I reported it to gbm. Doubt I was the only one. Perhaps that's why that member isn't a member there anymore.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              I did too, and I reported it to gbm. Doubt I was the only one. Perhaps that's why that member isn't a member there anymore.
              Bingo! We hate spambots with the firey passion of a thousand burning suns.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Thanks Raps. I got two spambots and reported both to Ree. ^^
                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                My DeviantArt.

Comment

I got one the other day, but it must have been while I was asleep, because by the time I read it, that person was no longer a member.
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I wish I had read this sooner...I got one over on Fratching, but responded to it, cause I fell for it...it was about buddhism come to think of it...

Never heard back from the spammer, but didn't think anything of it until now.

I'll be on better guard. I guess you guys took that one out, cause i haven't gotten any spam since!
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

My apologies for anyone who received a PM spam just now. Apparently anyone who hadn't been validated was still able to send them out. I've banned the jackass and took away the capability from that group, so this shouldn't happen again.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I noticed one banned member now has an avatar of something along the lines of

BANNED Yes I am a loser

Is that anything to do with it?
                        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Mayyyyyybeeeee....

Rapscallion

Comment

Yeah, I got the PM from the "new member" talking about Bhuddism. Went by the name of einstein. Not sure if he's still around, if so, Raps he's all yours.
                            If today is an indication of the rest of the week, I'm going to need to start drinking. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              I noticed one banned member now has an avatar of something along the lines of

BANNED Yes I am a loser
                              And funnily enough, the banned twit is still shown as being online, with his name crossed out at the bottom of the front page! Bit of a glutton for punishment?
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X