This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cocky shoplifters

I don't know what it is lately, but the BB stores in my area have been hit HARD. There are people just walking in, grabbing ps3 systems and walking right out the front door without saying anything to anyone. My all time favorite was the guy who tried to steal a portable dvd player.

I don't know about anyone else that works for BB, but the employees in my store have to wear these walkie talkie headsets, at least one per department, to get in touch with each other quicker and easier than the over head page.

Apparently, this guy came in, took a dvd player off the shelf and, as he neared the front, ran outside with it. Now, normally if someone is outside the doors, you can't do anything to them except try to get a description, license plate etc and call the cops. Our LP guy that day, however, decided on a different approach.

When the shoplifter took off, he took off after him across the parking lot. We heard him running over the headset asking someone to call the police as he detailed where he was chasing the guy. I guess a couple of the managers decided he'd need back up b/c 3 other guys took off after them.

Currently in our little plaza we have several other stores including a dollar general and a burlington coat factory. They first chased the guy into the dollar store where he was for a little while until running out of there and out towards the back of the burlington. Somewhere behind that building, they managed to catch the guy and he got arrested. I can't help but wonder if the LP guy sat on him until the cops arrived...he's a big guy!

He came back looking extremely satisfied tho. I don't think he was ever reprimanded for going after the guy either.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 06-06-2007, 08:47 PM. Reason: hadn't realized my signature would appear on this post and had typed it in already...didn't need two of the same
    "Sanity is the Playground for the Unimaginative."

Comment

At my store the PS3s and Wiis are kept in the cash office. To buy them you have to bring a tag to the cashier and then they get your console out of the cash office after you've paid.

Plus I guess now the rule is anything in electronics that is secured in some way (with an anti-theft spider wrap, plastic case or a peghook lock) has to be paid for back in electronics. We have had problems with thieves getting the employees to give them the merchandise, and then they take it someplace else to remove the packaging and pocket the item.

If you're just putting the consoles on the shelf, I can see how it would be easy to jack them. If LP isn't around and a manager isn't watching nobody can do anything about it, and you can just walk right out and let the alarms blare.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth TigerLily View Post
        There are people just walking in, grabbing ps3 systems and walking right out the front door without saying anything to anyone.
        My ex, who has been in and out of jail ever since I got rid of her, tried that once. Her brilliant plan was to grab a VCR, run out the front door with it, and jump into her friend's car while he waited for her.

Unfortunately for her, he got cold feet while she was inside, and took off without her. She made it outside, but with no getaway car, they caught her rather quickly.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

All of a sudden I want to go to work tomorrow and hang up signs underneath our security cameras saying, "For Your Protection".

...I think I've been reading too much V for Vendetta.
          "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            My ex, who has been in and out of jail ever since I got rid of her, tried that once. Her brilliant plan was to grab a VCR, run out the front door with it, and jump into her friend's car while he waited for her.

Unfortunately for her, he got cold feet while she was inside, and took off without her. She made it outside, but with no getaway car, they caught her rather quickly.
            Ever watch "My Name Is Earle"? As I was reading this, all I could picture was Joy trying to steal a VCR. Your ex sounds about as smart!

Comment

About 8 years ago I was working in a small Homewares store and some moron took a small eletronic thingee (it was 8 years ago I can't remember exactly what he took), it was worth about $NZ35 ($US20).

Anyway...

We called the police to file a report, they don't usually care about small stuff but we need the reports for insurance. We had a bit of a surprise when the cops said they had a K9 unit in the area and would send it over.

The dog tracked the moron who was hiding under a bridge nearby (honestly you can't make this stuff up). The dog handler called to the moron and told him to come out or the dog would come in. The moron told the cop to F..K OFF and leave him alone.

The dog went in.

At his sentencing the judge convicted the moron but refused to punish him further, mainly because he lost half a butt cheek to the dog, and spent 3 weeks in hospital.

All for $35.

We managed to get a photo of the dog and frame it next to our front door.
              "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
              "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

Comment

Working...
              X