This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
    Oh yeah. Ever see the news bit on car dealers cutting keys by VIN for thieves?
    Damn near everyone screeched about that(what is it about cars that brings out the suck in people?) The one heathen wench that comes to mind wouldn't give me her VIN so I could look up the correct parts. I needed it to confirm an interior color code, but oh no, I was going to STEAL HER CAR! Sure I am, b*tch, a 96 Cavalier is my dream ride..........................sigh

And there are so many easier ways to steal a car. ESPECIALLY if you are in the business. My brother worked in a hardware store through high school, and then went to work for Ford while they paid for college. He can pretty much eyeball a well worn key and know the code for it at this point.
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

My mother had her credit card number stolen at a chinese restaruant once by the waiter. The guy ran up about $35,000 worth of diamonds and trips to Tahiti within several minutes thanks to the internet. Luckily the card company caught it and we didn't get hit with anything. Not to say things like this don't happen. But yeah news stories about these things don't help people who do legitimate business because it makes everyone paranoid.

We did take one step to prevent our card info from being stolen... We no longer eat at that restaruant.

I've heard the "Hotel Key ID theft" thing before. Never dreamed people would think it real.

Comment

Quoth Fredrick2003 View Post
        Hahaha.

I don't understand, what was she trying to accomplish by rubbing the phone over it? Do phones erase data now or what lol!
        Magnetic credit-card type keys are rediculously easy to de-magnetize. On Memorial Day weekend, I threw the key into my bag with my cell phone and the key wouldn't work in my door lock at all when I got back. I had to have it re-magnetized and learned to keep it in my wallet, which insulated it from the cell phone and camera I kept in the same bag.

The only real run-in I had with TV reports was when the report got out about one of Big Box's technicians filming a client's teenaged daughter in the shower while doing an in-home service call. When a customer asked me about it at the store, I just told him/her about how badly I wanted to beat the ever loving hell out of that douche for giving us a bad name. Nipped any suckiness in the bud and even got a few chuckles, since it came from 5'2 female who carried around computers the size of her torso.
        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

I'm so tired of paranoia. Oooh, I don't want to give away my personal information. Ooooh! Someone might steal my identity! Ooooohooooh! I'm scratching out my credit card number so you can't steal it! Ooooh! I'm not signing the back of my card I don't want my signature out there! Jesus, people think they're so important.

The "Oooohing" is my attempt to write the equivilant of a whine.
          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

You can't believe anything the media says. Likely there is a kernel of truth that has been so obscured by the media's desire to get ratings that the situation has been blown out of proportion.

There was a story in the local paper about how a kid was planning to shoot up the school and members of faculty. This is important: THEY SAID HE HAD PLANNED TO SHOOT UP MY SCHOOL.

I graduated 2 years ago, but it was still my high school so I looked into it. I wanted to know what exactly happened. Eventually, I found the accused kid's cousin who told me what really happened...

Apparently, his cousin was getting picked on constantly by this type A jock asshole(my school has a lot of those, I got picked on regularly) and he said that he would like to shoot that asshole. Someone heard it and tattled to the principal. He shouldn't have said it, but people say a lot of things they don't mean when they're angry. I can understand making a big deal out of it if he was all, "Check it out, here are my plans to shoot up the school!"

I think they sent this kid to the alternative school or something. I don't think he deserves that kind of treatment, they should send that bully there instead.
            Check out my cosplay social group!
            http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

This is why I'm glad my newspaper is so relatively laid back about stuff, not to mention willing to listen to reason.

Editor: "Wow, look at the huge hog they caught in our area!"
              Me: "They didn't catch that in our area."
              Editor: "They didn't?"
              Me: "No, that's Hogzilla, it's been around since blah blah."
              Editor: "Oh. Do we have anything like that around here?"
              Me: "Not really, no."
              Editor: "Well, crap. Woulda been a heck of a front page." *delete*
              "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

The people who believe everything they see on TV are most likely the same people who believe print ads for any stupid, useless product offered if the ad contains so-called "testimonials" like this:

"Worked great!"
                - Bill M., Atlanta, GA

"The best product ever!!"
                - Sally R., Denver, CO

etc.

'Cause, you know, an unscrupulous company would never just make up names and quotes for an ad!

Comment

The tabloid papers in the UK write a lot about flight attendants, especially the Daily Mail. I always had passengers come up and point out news stories to me. Did I really have orgies with the pilots in the flight deck? And get drunk in the hotels downroute and run around naked? Did I have flings with celebs?

Sigh.

I didn't btw.
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
                    The people who believe everything they see on TV are most likely the same people who believe print ads for any stupid, useless product offered if the ad contains so-called "testimonials" like this:

"Worked great!"
                    - Bill M., Atlanta, GA

"The best product ever!!"
                    - Sally R., Denver, CO

etc.

'Cause, you know, an unscrupulous company would never just make up names and quotes for an ad!
                    Hey, have you been talking to my dad?
                    He believes every ridiculous thing he sees, but then will accuse legitimate businesses of being "money-making schemes"
                    Well, durrrrr, Dad, isn't making money the general idea? Not too many successful businesses go around trying to lose money.
                    I love him, but sometimes his reasoning is really out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X