This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying tax does not equate to fraud

Had a guy call in today, he went from having cable/internet on one bill and phone on another to having all 3 on one bill. His package was $129.99 for all three. Apparently the person who put it together did not mention that the actual bill will be on $129.99 PLUS TAX.

Now, I get where the guy is coming from. Sometimes tax is kind of assumed, but we should tell people anyway. Where this takes a turn down SC Boulevard is when the guy starts going down the list of taxes for each service saying he's never heard of any of these. I remind him that he's been paying those very same taxes on his bills the way he had them before any bundling took place. All he could sputter was "I DON'T CARE, IT'S FRAUD BECAUSE YOU GUYS DIDN'T TELL ME I'D HAVE TO PAY ALL THIS!. Dude, you were already paying these taxes before.

He said we'd learn our lesson when we heard from his lawyer. I had to bite my tongue to not pipe up with the comment I wanted to, about how I'd avoid any lawyer that would agree to sue a company for charging TAX.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

At my old store we sold catalogs for $5.00. So I rang one up for this old biddy, and of course with tax it came to $5.25. For some reason she found this outrageous. "You charge sales tax for catalogues?" she yelled.

Out of nowhere I came up with what I thought was a pretty good response. "We don't charge sales tax on anything, ma'm. It's the government that charges sales tax."

(I guess I could have gotten in trouble for being a smartass, but I didn't.)
    "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
    "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
    --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
      Out of nowhere I came up with what I thought was a pretty good response. "We don't charge sales tax on anything, ma'm. It's the government that charges sales tax."
      (I guess I could have gotten in trouble for being a smartass, but I didn't.)
      Nor should you have gotten into trouble. You were simply giving a truthful answer to a customers question. There's nothing smart-alecky about what you said, unless you were rolling your eyes while saying it or something.

Just because SCs find it more convenient to stand there and yell at us about sales tax instead of writing their government representatives doesn't mean they shouldn't at least be expected to understand who's charging them.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Remember, everything is the cashier's, tellers, sales associate fault although WE weren't the ones who made up the rules.

Comment

If I had 1/2 the power most customers accuse me of having, I'd be the President of my company, not a lackey.
          "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

Quoth IlovemyGeek View Post
            If I had 1/2 the power most customers accuse me of having, I'd be the President of my company, not a lackey.
            Damn. Ain't that the truth.

Comment

When my son was working at Dollar Tree, he had a very angry, loud customer who insisted it was theft and fraud because they were charging her tax.

Her reasoning? It was the Dollar Store, not the Dollar Five($1.05) Store.

Comment

Quoth IlovemyGeek View Post
                Too true.

Quoth justZu View Post
                When my son was working at Dollar Tree, he had a very angry, loud customer who insisted it was theft and fraud because they were charging her tax.

I got that during my short (three day) tenure at Dollar Tree.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post

He said we'd learn our lesson when we heard from his lawyer. I had to bite my tongue to not pipe up with the comment I wanted to, about how I'd avoid any lawyer that would agree to sue a company for charging TAX.
                  NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!! Boy, you'll be sorry when the Revolution comes!!!
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Where I live currently does their tax by county and it throws me off every time, as CT is 6.5% across the board.
                    Not on that butI'm used to clothing under $50 being not taxed and here it is taxed, so it was a bit of a shock the first few times til it sunk in. Now I can basically figure out what county I'm in but the rate.

Jinxy
                    That's just my opinion, I could be wrong" ~Dennis Miller
                    http://www.myspace.com/jinxy213
                    http://www.myspace.com/bgge

Comment

Quoth Jinxy View Post
                      Where I live currently does their tax by county and it throws me off every time, as CT is 6.5% across the board.
                      Not on that butI'm used to clothing under $50 being not taxed and here it is taxed, so it was a bit of a shock the first few times til it sunk in. Now I can basically figure out what county I'm in but the rate.

Jinxy

I'm glad NJ is just one rate...though it did go up to 7% last year. They don't tax clothes, most groceries, and other "necessities" though...(and contrary to what some of my customers would like to believe, books are not "necessities" in the eyes of the state*).

*in my eyes, on the other hand...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
                        If she thinks that's bad...she'd flip over the tax rate in Allegheny County. 7% here, 6% in the surrounding counties
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My wife found it a bit confusing when she was in the US that prices are quoted without tax and it gets added on in at the register. In Oz retailers have to quote the prices including GST (goods and services tax). your receipt will then show what portion of that was tax.
                          Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

lol a common joke ive heard among the retail worker ive known here involve canadians and sales tax. The laugh about how many times a day during snow bird season they get screamed out because of sales tax. I am sorry but we don't choice and it makes sure everyone is taxed equaly in the state.

Comment

Every now and then, when I was still at the music-movie-book place, I'd get some old bat/fart that just could not grasp the fact that we charge sales tax! And then there were the people visiting from out of state that thought we should only be taxing them their home state's taxes!

New Mexico's gross receipts tax varies from place to place because each county and city/town, etc., tacks it's own amount on. So Las Cruces is different from Albuquerque which is different from Santa Fe. I'll give you 3 guesses which one's highest and the first 2 don't count!

We finally got the tax on groceries done away with, but if it's like a bottle of coke, or a candy bar, or any snack-type food, there's still tax on it. What can I say, NM is a bit on the strange side.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X