This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refund lady

Okay, for those of you not in the know, we have a thing at our store that if you turn in your old printer ink cartridges, you get three dollars off your purchase. The thing is, you have to have a purchase of at least that much. If you want to get six dollars off your purchase, you need to buy at least six dollars worth of stuff. I can NOT give you cash back.

D - me
    SC - Three guesses, and the first two don't count

With that out of the way, let me go on.
    While I was up front being the register jockey for the day, a woman came through the line with a small package of picture mounting...things. I don't know. Anyway, I scan them through, she pays me, and I give her her change.

SC "Oh, and I want to turn these in for money" *plops down two HP ink cartridges.*
    D "Er...ma'am, I can't give you cash back, I can only take money off of your purchase."
    SC "Well, then take it off what I just bought"
    D "I can't, those picture mounts you bought were only two dollars. Your purchase needs to be at least six dollars for me to take the money off."

In her defense, she was okay about it. She goes and gets a ream of printer paper. I RETURN her old picture mounts, and ring them up again with the paper so that she can get her money off. I really shouldn't, but she's been nice enough up to this point. A little annoying, but, whatever. Anyway, the paper was like, 5.79 so she ended up getting about thirty something cents back with tax and all the fiddly things calculated in.

Now, here's an important point. The way this works in our computer is that the computer takes a little off each item until there is a grand total of six dollars less on the bill. So the computer has it in the system that she payed 1.32 for her paper.

So I go on my merry way ringing out the other customers, and I see here in line again with a different, cheaper paper.

Please just need alot of paper, please just need alot of paper, please just go through printer paper like nuts

SC "Do you do exchanges?"
    D *groan* "Yes..."
    SC "I want to get this paper. It's cheaper than the other one. I want to exchange it."
    D *Saw this coming* "Ma'am, I can't exchange the paper for you. Because of the cartridges you gave me, the computer took money off of each item to give you your money off. The computer has it in the system that you payed 1.32 for that paper and that ALL I can give you back for it. I can't give you an even exchange."
    SC "But I don't want the money back, I just want to exchange the paper and get the difference."
    D "Ma'am, i can't do that." *repeats why*
    SC "I don't understand why I can't get my money back."

Meanwhile a nice little line is forming behind her. She payed a grand total of two bucks for her paper and her little picture mount things. Now she wants money back because she didn't see the cheaper paper before. LOOK next time damnit!

SC "Look, just refund the old paper, ring this out and give me back the difference."

D "I. Can't. Do. That. The paper you have right now is 4.39. The paper you bought before is in my system at 1.32 because of the ink cartridges that you gave me. Thats ALL I can give you back for it. If you do an exchange, your going to have to pay the difference between the 1.32 and the 4.39."

SC "But the other paper is more than this paper."

Damnit, i just went over this.

D *Getting fed up* "Ma'am. I'm sorry, I can't do the exchange. The computer won't let me."
    SC "Are you sure?"
    D "Positive."

Yeeeesh. I could not get it through this womans head why I couldn't do this exchange. I swear I was arguing with this woman for like, 15 minutes why I couldn't do it. I'm sorry you didn't get the best deal that you could, but I can not reprogram the computer. I am only a second year computer science major. Please, go away.
    "Jester, I have an opportunity for you." Uh oh. What does he want me to clean? "It 's a chance for you to make some extra money." Crap, it must be really gross!

-Jester

How much you wanna bet she comes back about a week from now with more ink and bitching about the exchange thing.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      How much you wanna bet she comes back about a week from now with more ink and bitching about the exchange thing.
      No bet, I'd rather keep my money.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I uesd to have a great trick for SC's like that.

I'd slip a security tag into their purse or bag - anything that wasn't from our store. Then when they go through the door the alarms start ringing, security gets involved. It's just fun to watch. Nothing would ever happen - no one had actually stolen anything but it always embarrassed them and thats enough for me.
        "I'm trying to manufacture sincerity." - Simon (Teachers)
        "Ok, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!" - Chandler (Friends)

Comment

Working...
        X