This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Fake Veterans!

Let me start off by saying that I greatly appreciate our veterans. When they show me their ID, I never fail to say, "Thank you for your service", as I know a lot of Vietnam vets never got the Thank you that they deserved. Now our big blue box hardware store offers military discounts of 10% to veterans with a valid proof of ID, just like the big orange box hardware store. Because of corporate, they have had to change the rules a bit. It used to be that we could accept any old photo ID even it had expired. This was changed early fall of 2014. Now we only accept current ones, older styles with a later or indefinite expiration date, and the old and new types of VA cards. That's it!

In to my line walks this guy with a discounted snowblower. Then he shows me his military ID which I've never recognized, yet there's no photo of it at all. I handily whip out our handbook and show him the current military IDs we accept for the discount. Then to no surprise comes the classic line. Can you guess what is it?

"Uh, I was just here a week ago and the girl took it?"

I was ready for that so I replied, "Oh, they're not supposed to do that, and that's probably why the girl got written up for it". (Totally made that up, but just showing him how bad his lies can be).

Him: "Um, is there a manager I can talk to?"
    Me: "Yeah, there's the head cashier. Did you want to just pay for the item first?"
    Him: "Can you reimburse me if the discount goes through after I've already paid for it?"
    Me: "No. you have to go to customer service for a reimbursement..."
    Him: "Then I'll just wait over here then.."

I call the head cashier who explains to him the same thing I did, and I tell her that he already got a military discount before without a proper ID. He explains to her what he already explained to me, then she has to call the M.O.D. over.

I had just about had it, so while he was waiting I said, "Surely sir, having been in the military, you're aware of the importance of rules and regulations. Because right now I'm seriously doubting that you were really in the military...

So the M.O.D. comes over, was a department manager before but now an assistant store manager. He explains his side of things, then I interject and explain that he's already gotten a discount in the past without an appropriate military ID. Typical response, he gives the discount to him!!!

The customer is a bit happier, but I would have none of it. This time I asked for his ID again, including his license. With him present I took a slip of paper, wrote down his name and description. Now I have his name, and I will refuse service to him next time. Or I may be particularly feisty and charge him 15% extra before applying the 10% discount. I just wish our HR guy was in the office at the time because not only was he the HR guy at the previous store I was at (same name, different location), but he's got my back on just about everything and has backed me up on military IDs when front end managers have not.

I'm partially tempted to just take his ID next time and tear it up in front of him, telling him that he's not worthwhile of any store discounts if he continues to whine and bitch and moan when he doesn't get his way. I might ask him where he gets gas for his car, seeing that he tends to bitch and moan when he has to pay too much for it. I got his name though, I got his ass...

Click image for larger version

Name:	R_LEE_ASS2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2033591

He probably was lying about someone taking it before. That's what people always say when they're trying to pull stuff like that.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When our company started doing a Veterans discount card, we had a conversation about how it seems like it is the least abused discount we offer. Just like you said, military people (legitimate ones!) totally understand that rules are rules, and have the proper ID on them.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

While I agree that rules/regs are made for a reason, and I don't want to get into fratching territory, I think where you went wrong (in my opinion) was repeating to the head cashier and the MOD that the person "had gotten the discount in the past without proper ID".

If that statement had not been made, the MOD may have felt they had some room to deny this. The "veteran" could certainly make that statement themself, but I personally don't see any reason for you to do so. That just encourages the person to use that excuse over and over, with the added bonus of "see? that person (you) KNOWS I got it before!" I also realize that you were probably saying it to clue in the MOD that the person was pulling a fast one, but ....

As Mooncat mentioned, he was probably lying about getting it before - many people think that will intimidate the cashier into doing *whatever it is that they're wanting* just because someone "did it before". I hate that! No, you didn't get this before - it's never been done this way before, it's a new program, you've never been in here before (we can track this with our rewards program), etc etc etc.

If you want me to help you DON'T LIE TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, rant over :/

Comment

When someone tells me that "well they did it for me before" I tell them " Thank you for reporting this, can you tell me who it was and would you like to speak to the manager so the person can be retrained or disaplined". That shuts them right up

Comment

Quoth judecat View Post
            When someone tells me that "well they did it for me before" I tell them " Thank you for reporting this, can you tell me who it was and would you like to speak to the manager so the person can be retrained or disaplined". That shuts them right up
            Not always, they usually give a vague "some girl" description.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That pisses me off my grandfather and great grandfather both served, these people enlist and vow to fight to protect us and the country. They are willing to go to war and DIE so that we can be safe and free and these fuckers are faking being military just to get a discount!? Fuck that shit, they say they're military pick them up and ship them over. I laugh at people who fake being lawyers, I get downright fucking ragey at the thought of someone faking being military. He's a fucking asshole and I think real military personnel should be notified of his bullshit and have R. Lee Ermy (or however the fuck you spell his name) yell and scream in his face that he's an asshole scumbag for posing as military when he's not.
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

With this weather I pulled-out my old C.A.P BDU coat to wear, then wondered if I would be accused of faking being a veteran. It just has my name tape, former rank and CAP patches so in no way does it claim to be from a branch of the military, plus the tapes for CAP are blue and white. Any opinions if this would be acceptable to wear?
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  With this weather I pulled-out my old C.A.P BDU coat to wear, then wondered if I would be accused of faking being a veteran. It just has my name tape, former rank and CAP patches so in no way does it claim to be from a branch of the military, plus the tapes for CAP are blue and white. Any opinions if this would be acceptable to wear?
                  Doesn't sound military to me, but people are strange. I'd pull the rank and name badge tapes off if it was me.

Its too bad the OP didn't see any real veterans around so he or she could look at the fake ID. As a veteran and knowing lots of veterans who actually served and got shot at and stuff...that ID would have been burned as fast as the jerk probably burned his draft card. What's he going to do when a one legged woman gives him a smack down with her cane! (Yes, I did see that once. It was over a 2 dollar discount and was totally awesome.)

Comment

Hmm, I have only heard of one "Military" ID that did not have a picture on the.

Area 51 (Groom Lake Research and Testing facility)

I am 150% sure they are NEVER allowed to even acknowledge that their ID badge exists, let alone show it to some random cashier.

Is it wrong I am hoping this guy works at Area 51 and that this incident gets back to the commander? No, that would be wrong, people have disappeared for that type of thing.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

FYI: There are a bunch of guys at this blog who have made it their lives' work to track down and smack down fake veterans, or even real veterans who lie about their service (e.g. claim to be special forces/SEALs etc. when they basically spent their entire careers taking out the garbage in Germany, etc.) They call this sort of thing "Stolen Valor". If you have any questions about a particular alleged vet, e-mail them privately with the details. They'll find out, believe you me.

ETA: Fratching warning: the folks who post there are considerably to the right, politics-wise, of pretty much anyone who posts here. Be warned.
                      Last edited by Shalom; 01-12-2015, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
                        That pisses me off my grandfather and great grandfather both served, these people enlist and vow to fight to protect us and the country. They are willing to go to war and DIE so that we can be safe and free and these fuckers are faking being military just to get a discount!? Fuck that shit, they say they're military pick them up and ship them over. I laugh at people who fake being lawyers, I get downright fucking ragey at the thought of someone faking being military. He's a fucking asshole and I think real military personnel should be notified of his bullshit and have R. Lee Ermy (or however the fuck you spell his name) yell and scream in his face that he's an asshole scumbag for posing as military when he's not.
                        He is a fucking asshole, but unfortunately, the SCOTUS has said that it is a First Amendment right to lie about military service. It's up to Corporate to enforce their policies and we all know how they are about that. So expect abuse of this as with anything else offered to customers who need/deserve them.

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                        It's technically unlawful for a civilian to wear any part of a military uniform in public.

That being said, everyone does it and no one gets prosecuted for it unless they are actively impersonating an active duty military member.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for your service!
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm of two minds on this subject. I love that people/stores are honoring the Vets and that they get discounts and the promotions that Vets get on Veterans Day in places like Applebee's and Outback. But not all veterans carry picture IDs. I did 6 years in the Navy, so since I didn't retire, I don't have a picture ID, and I have been told MANY times that my DD214 papers (Honorable Discharge) don't count. So because I'm no longer in, but didn't go a full 20, somehow that doesn't qualify me as a Vet. I keep track of those places and just don't give them my money.

Comment

Quoth Crankybadger View Post
                            I did 6 years in the Navy, so since I didn't retire, I don't have a picture ID, and I have been told MANY times that my DD214 papers (Honorable Discharge) don't count. So because I'm no longer in, but didn't go a full 20, somehow that doesn't qualify me as a Vet. I keep track of those places and just don't give them my money.
                            I believe any term of service over 180 days with honorable/medical discharge qualifies you as a vet; at least that's what I was told by my VA. The length of service might qualify you for different amounts of VA care, but none of that should matter to a restaurant discount; probably someone just ill-informed.
                            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

And it's worth pointing out that, in the European theatre at least, WW2 lasted just about 6 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X