This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC's Having A Tantrum When You Tell Them You're Closed

I was going to post this in the thread I had already started about the princess with entitlement issues. However I decided to start a new thread about SC's throwing a tantrum when you tell them you are closed. Your light is out your lane is blocked, and they still try to come in anyway. Then when you tell them you're closed they throw a hissy fit, or in my case things as the following happened at work one day.

I had my light out and a display blocking me off, I was finishing up my last customer. A woman carrying a 6-pack of beer trys to move the display to get to my register.

Me- Maam I'm closed, you can go to the service desk, and they'll check you out.

SC- *Lets loose a string of curse words*. *Slams beer down, cans go flying everywhere* *Storms out*

Me-

Now I know a lot of you are probably saying, "But Raven, she only had one thing, why couldn't you just rung her up?

Well here's the thing If I had went ahead and took her, then chances are somebody else would have seen this and tried to come in my lane too.
    There were other registers that had their lights on, that she could have gone to, with not much waiting. Plus I had worked all day and was ready to go home.

Bottom line is when I'm closed, I'm closed.

So lets hear about SC's throwing tantrums on you being closed.
    Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

A woman and her daughter spend 20 minutes picking out a zip despite being told repeatedly that we were closing in 10,5,2, minutes "we are closed maam if you want to get that you need to come to the counter now"

she gets up there and I punch in the code for the zip (I know them by heart after that long in the store) and she says "oh I need some binding, where is it?".....ugh Ive already been waiting at 10 minutes by the point and the people who cash up only get 30 minutes paid to close their tills.... if the customers are still shopping they obviously cant do their job...

so I say "the store is closed, I can put the zip through but youll have to come back tomorrow to get anything else"

she throws the zip on the counter and makes this disgusted grunt saying... wait for it... its a classic.... "im never shopping here again the service sucks!"

oh my heart bleeds lady
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth RavenStarr
      I had my light out and a display blocking me off, I was finishing up my last customer. A woman carrying a 6-pack of beer trys to move the display to get to my register.

Me- Maam I'm closed, you can go to the service desk, and they'll check you out.

SC- *Lets loose a string of curse words*. *Slams beer down, cans go flying everywhere* *Storms out*

Me-
      She was probably pissed that she wouldn't be able to have a beer while watching the Nascar race that night
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Does anyone ever get the guy (or sometimes girl) that shakes and rattles the locked door while you are counting the cash drawer with the open sign and the floor lights off? I love that one.
        So you try to pantomime "Sorry, we're closed." But they want to debate that, and try telling you that they only want one thing, and they'll be quick, and if they don't pay this bill their phone will be shut off and blah blah blah... Then when you won't "un-close" the store they start screaming, "Open the god**** door!" along with random obscenities and vague threats. Like I'll say, "oh, now that you've begun acting like a lunatic I'll just let you in and sell you something."

I deal with that probably four out of every five closing shifts. We actually extended our hours thinking the problem was that we weren't open late enough. It didn't help, now people are seized with a burning need to buy cell phones and pay bills at 7:01 PM instead of 6:01 PM.
        Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl
          It didn't help, now people are seized with a burning need to buy cell phones and pay bills at 7:01 PM instead of 6:01 PM.
          It's that "Want what you can't have" syndrome. If you told people they weren't allowed to get cancer, they'd start cooking themselves with X-Rays just to get it.
          "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

I like how they'll ask you to do a bit of math you can't do in your head, and when you can't, you're stupid.

I mean, they can't do it either, and that's okay. But if you can't, you're stupid, right?

Comment

Quoth RavenStarr
              A woman carrying a 6-pack of beer trys to move the display to get to my register.

Don't you just love that, why else would a display be blocking a register, unless it was closed...and why can't anyone understand that?

Comment

Had a guy once drive around to the parking behind the shop to block us in - he was driving a sports car - and all he wanted was a yoghurt.

Rapscallion

Comment

I was closing up one night, set the alarm, and walked out side. This guy pulls up, watches me put the key in the lock and turn it. As I walked away, he walks up and yanks on the door as hard as he can. He stares blankly for a moment, then asks the magic quesion: "Are you closed?"

Comment

Bonus suckage points if the SC does this right after close on Christmas Eve.

It happened one year. We had just locked the doors and were checking out the last few people in line when somebody started pounding on the door demanding to be let in.

The manager told her we were closed. She starts with the whole "I just need one thing! My son's Christmas will be ruined if you don't let me come in and get it! Open the damn door already!" routine.

The manager tells her she had an entire month to shop for Christmas gifts, we had been open 24 hours the week before Christmas, and if she couldn't find any time to haul her butt in and buy her gifts that was her problem.

So she stomped away, cursing and swearing some more.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr
                      It's that "Want what you can't have" syndrome. If you told people they weren't allowed to get cancer, they'd start cooking themselves with X-Rays just to get it.
                      That's actually true. People are told not to get AIDS because it's something you can prevent, and what do some people do? TRY to get AIDS! They're called "bug chasers."

Comment

Not quite the same as being closed, but similar. One of my co-workers came up to relieve me for lunch one day. As we're supposed to do, I turned to the next customer in line and kindly explained that we were changing cashiers, which would only take a couple of seconds (seriously, it takes thirty seconds at the most.) She went absolutely ballistic, screaming about how she only had a few items and blah blah blah, then decided she didn't want to pay cash and simply /had/ to write a check, messed up the first, and had to take her time writing another. Her order turned into ten minutes instead of the two she said it would. *sigh*

Comment

I always really really liked it when someone would come into the vet office with every single one of their lovely pets for their yearly vaccinations about 4 minutes from close. (/sarcasm off)

And inevitably, they played stupid. Every.Single.Time. they acted like they had no clue you were due to close in 4 minutes. Ooooooh nooooo! It's on the giant sign out front. It's on the sign by the door. It's on the voice mail. It's on a sign on the counter as you signed in. Heck - they bumped into the girl mopping the floors and remarked on how "it must be close to going-home-time". Yet they're still in the building, it's now 90 minutes after close and their dogs just pooped all over the newly-mopped floor. Ahhhhh...memories!

Comment

Oh gosh I hate this.
                            Because of the useless public transport, I always get to work an hour before my shift starts. So I pull up one shutter (out of 3) just enough to get in and only turn on the office light. I then have around 45 minutes to eat my breakfast and read the newspaper before I have to start up the photo labs / prepare the tills etc etc.
                            Every single morning, without fail.
                            "Helloooo? Anyone there?"
                            So I pop my head around the corner and there's someone there, usually ticket in hand, or even worse a massive bag of dry cleaning.
                            "Are you open?"

OK...you've had to practically limbo under the shutters and negotiate all the display stuff which is blocking the entrance cos I haven't put it out yet. And all in the dark because there are no lights on. Of course we're open! Making you run an assault course is all part of the service!

Comment

I had an elderly couple come to my register as I was walking away from it (light off, sign on register, the works), unload their cartful of stuff, and stand there for like 5 minutes waiting for me to come back. Screw that; I was going home!

No, but really, a display up should be a clear sign. Trying to move the display and expecting to get service is just "I D 10 T" Syndrome.
                              ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Working...
                              X