Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be on maternity leave so I won't have to worry about taking any holiday call at all this year (yay!). Though I honestly hate Thanksgiving anyway, so if no one else volunteers to take call that day, I don't mind. Hospitals don't close after all. And we're right back to business as usual the day after. And the last few years we've been surprisingly busy that day. You'd think everyone would be out shopping (or sleeping it off later on in the day), but you'd be wrong.

This year my extended family will be traveling out of state for my uncle's wedding, so we're having Thanksgiving dinner early. Mr Jedi and I decided to not travel 6-8 hours with a newborn, so he and I are still trying to figure out what, if anything, we'll be doing on Thanksgiving Day proper. Probably trying to sleep, lol.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Wow, you all have my sympathy. I quit my PT job earlier in the year, so this is the first Thanksgiving in 10 years I don't have to work. My former store is closed on thanksgiving though, and last year, i got smart, and asked the manager a. what time we opened, and b. more importantly (to me) how long shifts would be. Having gotten that info, i offered to open. 6am, which for me, who is not a moring person sucked big time, but i was done at 11:30am.

Comment

I've specifically asked to be scheduled Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. I want to avoid my b**tch of a sister who told me that not quite being able to make it on one income (and therefore needing public assistance) after a major car crash rendered my husband unable to work (or walk more than a few steps) made me "spoiled and lazy." Same girl who will march into our parent's home and start issuing orders to the man and woman who raised her like they're her secretary.

Ok </threadjack>. We now return you to your regularly scheduled retail-related complaining.
        Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 11-06-2015, 02:19 PM.
        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I almost got to drive to Sunnyvale with D2 to pack & move S1 back to SLC, but it looks like he's going to ship a U-box. (We'd better not leave it sitting in the driveway too long. He'll probably be in it!)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I haven't worked Thanksgiving or Christmas since I worked at the grocery store. I'd volunteer to work those days because the store paid time and a half for working on holidays in addition to a full eight hours extra pay for the week. The store also closed by three or four so I still had time to go home and fix a nice dinner.

I start the ski resort job after Thanksgiving since my location opens in December. So, I will probably be working on Christmas this year.
            Last edited by Teysa; 11-06-2015, 05:06 PM.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I am considered "non-essential" staff, so I have Thanksgiving off, and I usually take off Friday as well. I do shop, but I go out on my time, usually around 10 AM. The stores here are usually quite a bit quieter. I don't need anything badly enough to fight the door buster crowds

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                I've specifically asked to be scheduled Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. I want to avoid my b**tch of a sister who told me that not quite being able to make it on one income (and therefore needing public assistance) after a major car crash rendered my husband unable to work (or walk more than a few steps) made me "spoiled and lazy." Same girl who will march into our parent's home and start issuing orders to the man and woman who raised her like they're her secretary.

Ok </threadjack>. We now return you to your regularly scheduled retail-related complaining.
                May I say that I hate your sister? Does she think you should kick your husband to the curb to make it easier for you to pay your bills?

(If the disability is permanent, have you applied for disability? If not, you should.)

We are closed on Thanksgiving. We are open on Friday, but I was able to take it off. I plan to sleep, eat, play with kitties and surf the web.

Comment

Thankfully, my store is not open Thanksgiving, but I'll be praying for all of you forced to work that day.

Comment

I have Thursday and Friday off, but I'll be on call that weekend. Hopefully, it will be quiet, and nobody's appliance will meltdown... can't imagine any US companies at least will be doing any changes.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

We're open Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. But I work at a gas station. My manager already said everyone does four hour shifts, so even if I work 2nd shift, I'll either be out by 6 or start at 6, so I can eat with the fam.

Comment

Meanwhile, I'm still all "Wait, when is Thanksgiving?" I'm so out of it, y'all. I don't even care about holidays of any kind anymore.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth FormerCallingCardRep View Post
                          I will be in the call center from 8:30 til 5 on Thanksgiving and 7 - 3:30 Black Friday. I chose to work Thanksgiving to get Christmas off.
                          Our center is closed on Christmas but I didn't have enough seniority to get Thanksgiving/Black Friday off. I work 9-6 Thanksgiving and 11-8 on Black Friday.

I expect the suck from the customers to be a little less than when I worked retail but I may yet be proven wrong.
                          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

As usual, I won't work Thanksgiving but the Litter Box will be open until 3pm.

But I'll have to go in early the next morning, as I've been temporarily reassigned to Scanning (Ma is now out for a knee replacement next week and is expecting to be out for about 4 months) so I'll have to take care of the price changes on Friday (which IIRC shouldn't be very many) and if I don't have the weekly test scan completed by then, I'll get that wrapped up as well.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I offered to work Thanksgiving so some of the younger folks can enjoy the day. Now divorced, the 'family get together' isn't what it used to be. In fact I just had an early Thanksgiving 2 hours ago with my children and parents, and I'm basking in the glow as we speak.

However, due to the fact that most of our shows are cancelled and we show more sports on Thanksgiving I was granted off anyway, as of yesterday. So I'm thinking about hosting a small meal for some friends who have had a really tough year (she, cancer scare this summer; him, triple bypass last Tuesday). Good use of the day.
                              "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post

However, due to the fact that most of our shows are cancelled and we show more sports on Thanksgiving I was granted off anyway, as of yesterday. So I'm thinking about hosting a small meal for some friends who have had a really tough year (she, cancer scare this summer; him, triple bypass last Tuesday). Good use of the day.
                                Sounds like a wonderful idea.

I'm planning on cooking as little as possible. Hoping this coming week to be able to go over to Bojangles' and pre-order one of their turkey dinners, pick up some pies at our favorite cafeteria, some croissants and all I should have to make is the dressing.

So if all goes well, my day should be spent on the computer (probably hanging out here for a spell and on Wikipedia,) eating and getting some good tv in before an early shower and an early bedtime.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X