Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it worth it to ya? (aka Fire the Nuclear Wessels)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it worth it to ya? (aka Fire the Nuclear Wessels)

Gather round, kiddies, and let me regale you with the tale of someone so gloriously stupid, its amazing.

So this story begins a few months ago, where someone purchases a premade website template off my site, with a rush order. Shortly after the whole thing is done, I get a notice from Paypal that the customer has opened a dispute. I promptly fought it, and win in under a couple of hours. (Yay, documentation!)

I then notify customer that he is now on his final warning, and that any further shenanigans will result in his license being revoked. He apologizes, and tells me he won't do this EVER again, it was an accident, he meant to dispute a totally different transaction.

...Pull the other one, bro.

So, things move smoothly for a few months, and then he contacts me again, asking for permission to move his license to a new domain. I grant permission, as long as he first emails me the old domain, the new one, and does not use it in two places at once, blah blah. He consents, and then orders a new header image made for the site. Since it's a really, REALLY small change that takes me maybe a minute or two to do, I only charged him $2, and sent over the invoice.

He tells me he is sending the payment now, and I looked at the invoice to confirm that he was, in fact, logged in and making a payment. I send him over the image, and as SOON as he gets it, he promptly stops at the last checkout step, logs out of IM, and tries to disappear.

Ohhhh, no you don't.

I send him an email detailing exactly what I'm going to do with him if he doesn't pay up, and noting that this would be the final strike against him. He had five minutes to pay up, while I was writing the draft letter to his hosting company to have the template stripped.

Lo and behold, he logs back on IM, freaking out. "Chill out, its only $2, you could be nice, you know!" He paid, freaking out at me the ENTIRE TIME, about how its only $2, its only a couple of bucks, I should've just let him slide.

Well, fast forward to today. I get a notice that he reported the $2 as a fraudulent charge directly to his bank, he went in and filed paperwork over this. So, Paypal just automatically gives it back.

Welp, as I warned him, I sent out the notice to his hosting company, they replied that they have to give him 12 hours to comply with THEIR notice, but that it'll be stripped immediately at the expiration of that time, as they don't think he'll comply.

But I didn't stop there.

I went onto a secret facebook group where the affiliates and advertisers for his type of website gather, and promptly told ALL OF HIS ADVERTISERS what he'd done. Surprise surprise, three people spoke up, saying "omg, he did the SAME THING TO ME". Turns out, those people he scammed are heavy hitters in the industry, they just had originally written it off as "meh, small amount", but now its out that he's doing it to multiple people.

His advertisers are now pulling everything, and he's being banned from all the networks they can contact.

So I wonder if this will be worth it to him. For $2, he just lost the money he spent on the license ($100), and he is losing his sources of income (the advertisers). He won't be able to show his face in the industry after this for a year or two, if he even manages to come back at ALL.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Reminds me of an old saying, 'Just pay the $2'. In this case, it's literal truth! He could have saved himself a heap of trouble if he'd just paid up.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Well done, Seraph!

Also, when I first saw the title, I misread it as "Fire the Nuclear Weasels!" Love the mental image.
      "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

You do get them, don't you? Self-pwnage is the best kind of pwnage... Any chance you can get him reported for fraud, for claiming false refunds through his bank?
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

You know, you'd think people would get the hint and just pay you. I mean you seem more than reasonable in your dealings.

But no, these people like to be stupid. Oh well. Makes for some good reading. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

The stupid is strong with this one. What an idiot.

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
            Also, when I first saw the title, I misread it as "Fire the Nuclear Weasels!" Love the mental image.
            Heh. "Fire the Nuclear Weasels" had me thinking about this mini (linked due to image size): http://www.coolminiornot.com/160057

(Yes, those are hamster rounds she's firing....)
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I was anxiously awaiting the cue from "Better Off Dead". You know, the newspaper kid yelling... (someone go ahead and finish it)

Comment

Tell me no one else though of this?

Comment

Very nicely played indeed!!

Comment

Doesn't he also have a problem with Paypal at this point? I thought they got snipy if you did refunds through your bank...
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                      Absolutely! But the Nuclear Weasels derailed my train of thought....
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Is it wrong that when I start reading a new Seraph thread, I hear Yakety Sax playing in my head? XD

Also, those hamster rounds are brilliant. I've seen them before and been tempted to get them for my modelcraft.

So this... moron... has taken the Ripley approach. But gotten his co-ordinates slightly off.

"HA! I didn't pay the two dollars. BUT NUKE IT FROM ORBIT TO BE SAFE!.... whats that whistling sound?"
                        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                          Heh. "Fire the Nuclear Weasels" had me thinking about this mini (linked due to image size): http://www.coolminiornot.com/160057

(Yes, those are hamster rounds she's firing....)
                          Love it!!
                          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                            Doesn't he also have a problem with Paypal at this point? I thought they got snipy if you did refunds through your bank...
                            Yeah, probably, but it's not as if they're going to tell this to the OP.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Redbeard View Post
                              Haha. Yeh, that came to my mind almost right away. I was just gonna finish reading all the responses and post something like that myself. lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X