Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My precious little snowflake has to use a laundromat! Oh noes!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, it's not on campus, but there is a pretty cool laundromat/restaurant nearby that a lot of people use.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      Could be someone used to the original microwaves. They were made to accept your regular pots and pans. Microwaves now are MADE to self destruct when metal is put in them. It ensures more sales. I had an original given to me by my mom's friend in 1996. It finally gave up the ghost in 2008. I still miss it.
      Never even heard of one like that. I got my first microwave in the late 70's, had that one til the early 90's, and those things would not take metal at all, they came with tons of warnings - at the time, TV dinners still came in aluminum trays, and even those were warned against. Even old china with gold or silver in the paint would cause arking and some major fireworks. I ruined a mug that I didn't realize had metal in the paint, though the microwave survived, as I stopped it quickly. Some made later (90's plus) than that would actually take some metal in a tray, if it were low enough, or a tiny bit of aluminum foil - a great improvement, in my opinion.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
        That was 35 years ago and I still follow the same routine EXCEPT when she told me to IRON my underware (which she DID do with my Father's undergarments for some reason)
        You've obviously suppressed the memory of her starching them.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When I lived in the dorms in college there were two washers and one industrial sized dryer for the entire floor. The washers were constantly broke and took at least a week to fix - every single time. I eventually started hauling my laundry down the block to the laundromat.

In the three different apartments my hubby and I rented only two had W/D hookups. In one you could fit a standard W/D and in the other there was only room for a stacked unit.
          Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

When I was a Resident Advisor in college, each September I'd have a "How to do your laundry" class for the freshmen. It was always well attended. Boggled my mind - they KNEW they were going away to college but never learned to do their own laundry? I had been doing my family's laundry since I was 9.
            Last edited by DeltaSierra; 08-17-2012, 01:44 AM.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
              In the three different apartments my hubby and I rented only two had W/D hookups. In one you could fit a standard W/D and in the other there was only room for a stacked unit.
              I've done my time with laundromats. First apartment was a very old building, apartment was decent, but laundryroom was in basement, dark & creepy, and had a door going to back stairs & outside, where the occasional wharf rat would come in. I used a local laundromat, thanks.

Next one had a laundry room by the pool - still coin operated, but I could enjoy myself while the clothes washed. Next two places I had to use a laundromat, the second one very often, and with baby in tow.

My first hookups were in Navy housing - old, odd, substandard housing. I bought a second-hand let. The tiny kitchen had room for washer & dryer (which could double as counter space, since the only kitchen counter was about 1 1/2 foot square. There was an input hookup for the washer, but not an output hookup , so the hose was run over to the kitchen sink (a deep laundry-room type sink) and had to hook on the edge by a special hooked hose part (so the hose didn't fly about the room from water pressure). We lived there 3 /12 years, and it took me a year or two afterwards to get out of the habit of always doing dishes before laundry so the sink would be clear (and dishes unbroken).

After that, had an apartment that had a one washer, one dryer, no-pay laundry room for every three apartments that shared a landing. Very handy, and only those three had the key to it.

After that, all places either had room for my own washer dryer, or supplied at least a small stacking set. Although in the UK, we only had washers, not dryers.

Had to use a laundromat not long ago til my dryer could be fixed, and was amazed to find how expensive thy are now. Ouch.

Comment

I went to a laundromat a few years ago, no gdmf machines in my building. A guy on the phone chatting to his buddy about his new classes was also going glassy-eyed at the machine. I asked him - you don't know? He told me that mom always did his laundry. I told him, get off the phone and I can teach you.
                He did, and it worked a little bit.

I don't like laundromats with home sized machines. I like the industrial bigass machines. When my kid was an infant..yeah, you go through a lot of outfits. We would go once a week to do our laundry, all of the family's. 10 bucks in quarters, but these were like 3 regular size loads in a 1 big load washer. Oh, plus, the dryers were gas heated, not electrical. I liked those better!
                If / when I live in a bigger place, I want a washer and dryer.
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

My local place is a card op... very rarely has out-of-order machines, tho the card reader on the dryers was on the fritz last time.

Prices are ok, and there are a ton of very clean, good, front-loading machines in the place. So far, haven't run into any issues with not having machines open when we needed them. Plus, last wash is at 10pm, so we have plenty of time in the evening to get things done and then go do the wash. We've never gotten there much past 9, though; despite the fact that they're open that late, it somehow seems rude to be there.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    actually you're right. she DID indeed starch his boxers and undershirts.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      I ruined a mug that I didn't realize had metal in the paint, though the microwave survived, as I stopped it quickly. Some made later (90's plus) than that would actually take some metal in a tray, if it were low enough, or a tiny bit of aluminum foil - a great improvement, in my opinion.
                      on my last ship we had a couple of kinds of Japanese noodles in the ship store. One of them could not go in the microwave, but people kept trying. after the first spark they would go "oops".

i tried taping a lid to the bench below the microwave with a note to not use that kind, but the supervisors took it down.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        I used to slip in one heavily starched set of jockey shorts into the whole stack in Rob's seabag when he deployed for a long cruise

I can actually iron the old style dungaree shirt in under 2 minutes, and a set of dress whites in about 5. I used to make spare money showing up before a change of command or award ceremony with needle and thread to tack hems or sew on patches. You have *no idea* how many guys will hem pants with duct tape or a stapler
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          You have *no idea* how many guys will hem pants with duct tape or a stapler
                          Guilty on both counts! *hangs head* Although never anything dressy... Well, not uniform-dressy.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth agirlfromnowhere View Post
                            I've never heard of a place furnishing washer and dryers Hookups yeah, but never the machines themselves. I think every apartment complex I've lived in has had laundry facilities though.
                            I own a two-family house (well about 23% of it, the mortgage company owns the rest ) and I have two washers and two dryers in the basement. One set is on my electric/gas/hot water, and the other is on the tenants'. Since I'm living in what is technically the renter's apartment (the other is bigger, so I can charge more rent for it), I get the small stacked set and the tenants get the bigger separate units. This means I usually take my blankets to the laundromat, because they don't fit in the small units.

They've got four sizes of machines at the local laundromat, the largest of which holds 8 standard loads. Y ou could have a party in there.

I don't know if this is the usual practise around here; the house came with the units already in place. No idea if other landlords provide W/Ds, or if they do, if they're free or coin-op.

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            There was an input hookup for the washer, but not an output hookup , so the hose was run over to the kitchen sink (a deep laundry-room type sink) and had to hook on the edge by a special hooked hose part (so the hose didn't fly about the room from water pressure).
                            This was standard when I was growing up in the 70s. My guess is that the hookup was meant for a dishwasher, which has a very narrow drain that taps into the sink drain, and someone put a washer there instead. (Why else would the washer be in the kitchen and the dryer in the basement. For all my childhood I remember schlepping full baskets of heavy wet laundry downstairs to put in the dryer.) I have fond memories of my grandmother "babysitting" her washer: she had an incredibly powerful old Westinghouse front-loader, and when it was in spin cycle she had to sit there on a stool and hang onto the end of the hose, or it would rocket around and flood the kitchen. She finally convinced my grandfather to put in an outlet connection directly to the drain.

Come to think of it, the washers downstairs in my house are still this way; there are two double slop sinks (so four basins total) between the two washers, and each washer hooks over the edge of one of the sinks. We have to be careful not to let the lint pile up, or they overflow.

(Edit: I also remember a family in my old neighborhood shoe-horning a washing machine into the bathroom, where there was really not enough room for one. The water was tapped into the bathroom sink (hose screwed right into the faucet), the plug went into the shaver outlet on the light above the mirror with a 3-to-2 cheater adapter (GFCI? wot's that?) and the drain went into the bathtub. Last I heard, their house hadn't flooded or burnt down. I hope this was a temporary setup.)
                            Last edited by Shalom; 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post

This was standard when I was growing up in the 70s. My guess is that the hookup was meant for a dishwasher, which has a very narrow drain that taps into the sink drain, and someone put a washer there instead.
                              Nope, the washer & dryer didn't come with the place, it just had the space & hookups in the kitchen. And definitely wasn't for a dishwasher, cause this was during the 70's, and this housing had nothing that new in them, nor would the base have spent the money for it. As an example, the housing had been built well before WWII, and when built didn't even have hot water heaters. We had friends whose parents had lived in the units during & after the war. At that time, they finally put in hot water heaters. The hot water heaters were supposed to go under the houses, but instead, they put them into a corner of the kitchen "temporarily". When we lived there thirty years later, they were still in the kitchen My guess is that the hookup was for a 1940's style washer, I think most of those didn't use special pipes to drain out, but drained into a sink. And they just never got around to updating the hookups. Or they put in the intake hookups, meaning to put in the outflow hookups later, and never bothered. Never in a million years would they have put in hookups for something so frivolous as a dishwasher. Heck, another example of the cheapness, we had a two bedroom, two story unit. The heating unit was a wall unit that was on the wall between the entry hall & dining area, next to the living room. And that was it - heat came out both sides of it, and there were no vents or any thing to the rest of the house. Upstairs was heated by the "heat rises" theory (though the heat simply rose up the stairs and into the hall, not so much into either bedroom or bathroom.

Oh, and all the units in the complex were the same as far as heating, hookups, water heaters, etc.

Comment

I've had the entire spectrum of washer and dryer.

My first apartment upon moving out of my parents house barely had room for 2 bedrooms (I shared it with a roommate), and the shower was in the hall way next to the bathroom, next to my bedroom.

When I moved out of town to go to college, my first apartment was so tiny the kitchen was smaller then the bedroom, and the bedroom could barely hold a twin sized bed. (laundromat was at the end of the street AND close enough to pick up my wifi signal on my laptop ^^)

my best remembered apartment was $800 a month, 2 bedroom, washer dryer included with a dish washer, all utilites included including internet and TV.

My place I own now, I charge $495 for a 1 bedroom with office/suite/second bedroom, washer dryer hook ups, and central heat and air....and people say I don't charge enough.
                                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                                X