Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does The Litter Box Have In Common With a Desert?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does The Litter Box Have In Common With a Desert?

Right now, both have NO water.

We have been slammed since this past weekend due to the forthcoming Hurricane Florence (now Cat 4 and possibly becoming a 5) that's expected to hit straight on our coastline (both NC and SC have declared a State of Emergency, started mandatory evacuations, etc) and it's projected to come straight through the entire state.

Now, although landfall along the coast isn't expected until around Thursday PM, people around here are raiding the stores like it's a combination of Black Friday, Christmas Eve and the Evening Before Armaggeddon.

Which, of course, leads to the main stuff running out faster than we can get it in.

Such as bottled water.

On Friday when I left, we had just gotten our Pepsi delivery and had two full pallets of 32 pk Aquafina water (they come 48 per pallet, six layers high of eight per layer) for a total of 96 cases. We had also just gotten our warehouse grocery truck, which brought us at least 2 pallets of store brand 24 pk water, and at least another pallet of Nestle, a pallet of Deer Park and a pallet of Fancy Store Brand spring water.

When I walked into the back room just before 7 on Monday morning, all those were gone. All we had left were a couple of pallets of the gallon jugs (they come 3 gallons to a box) and some of the Fancy Store Brand 24's.

Had a warehouse truck show up before I left . . . we had 3 pallets of water come in (24 pk store brand) and another truck sent with an emergency order. All of it was gone this morning when I arrived at 6.

It was non stop on the radio this morning . . . cashiers asking about water. Grocery manager (who opened this morning) continued to tell them we had NONE. And no idea when the Pepsi truck (or the Coke truck for that matter) was arriving (I had called both supervisors this morning for those companies - they couldn't tell me nor could they send us any emergency deliveries, as most product was either already out on trucks with regular deliveries or en route to the coastal region.)

It got so bad, that Ma had made a handwritten sign and taped to the shelves on the water section reading "We are OUT of water. Sorry."

And still, the cashiers were dumb enough to keep asking on the radio.

It was so bad, that while our QA guy (Mr. Earle) was out on the aisle, cleaning the shelves (great time to do that, actually) a lady came up and asked about the water.

We just shook our heads and patiently explained that we had run out and was waiting on more. All we had left at that point were small bottles of boutique water (as one of my chips guys, Jamiebear, calls it - Samoan Ass Water) that were quite pricey (especially for our company, which is supposed to be promoting every day low pricing)

So the lady picked up a bottle of boutique water and just shrugged and said she'd just get that one little bottle and go home and pray about it.

*Yeah, okay. And if Florence comes through, you will definitely have more water than a fish will know what to do with. But whatever floats your boat.*

Of course, we just smiled and wished her a good day. . . .

My Pepsi truck finally arrived after 11:30 . . . and we had two full pallets of 32 pk Aquafina (96 total.) Grocery Manager ran to the back room right as the driver came in the door by my desk so he could grab some (we had several employees who wanted to pick up some on their way home, so he was going to set a few cases aside for them to get out of the back room and take the rest out to the floor.)

After we got everything checked in, Grocery Manager went about setting aside X number of cases. He came back to my door right after the driver left and almost threw himself over the railing . . . "I don't wanna go out there!" (Probably because he heard one of the beer merchandisers talk about a guy at a nearby Wallyworld who took a pallet of water out to the floor and was nearly trampled by a stampede of customers earlier this morning!)

Ever the Mama Hen, I hugged him and replied he was a good man . . . All he had to do was set the pallet down out on the salesfloor and RUN!

He came back a short time later, unmarked. And breathing a sigh of relief . . . Even Sweet Daddy D (our Pepsi merchandiser, who had just made it in to work the delivery) laughed at him. All he had to do was work the other pallets.

Meanwhile, the Coke delivery made it in (he'd pulled up behind the Pepsi truck while it was being unloaded and checked in) and we only received 8 cases. My salesman had tried to order 2 pallets, but could only get 8 cases (one layer) because most of their Dasani was being rerouted down to the coast.

Needless to say, all that had evaporated off the sales floor within minutes. My Coke merchandiser came in the break room a short time later while I was on lunch asking where his two pallets of water were. Apparently he had not been given the heads up by the order writer.

What's so sucky you wonder? After lunch, while I was in the back room checking on something on the computer, Rochelle came in for a quick break from the front end (and the endless barrage of complaints about no water, no doubt) and she was checking the company FB page on her phone while we were chatting. She then read to me a complaint someone had just posted about "Litter Box needs to order more water, Fools."

Really??? How mature is that???

She was so tempted to reply back to that person to let them know that even though we are trying to get in as much as we can, once we make out the order, it's out of our hands (not to mention that we had everything leaving faster than we could get it out.)

But after I gently reminded her that sometimes it's better just to leave well enough alone (not to mention, any comment she made might be frowned upon by Corporate as we are expected to represent the company) she figured it might be better to leave it alone.

And still, the questions continue about the water. We heard this afternoon that even though we're getting another warehouse grocery delivery Wednesday afternoon, we aren't guaranteed any more water. We'll have to wait and see what they send us tomorrow.

We're expecting tomorrow to be worse. . .
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Ouch. My sympathies. I don't suppose your store is planning to...ya know...actually CLOSE before Thursday night, is it? If at all...o_O

"We are OUT of water. Sorry."

And still, the cashiers were dumb enough to keep asking on the radio.
    Being where we are, I really have to wonder how many of those cashier calls were prompted by SC's basically forcing them to ask, after being told half a dozen times already that you were out >_<
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Wait, are all these people STAYING in their homes? I thought with an evacuation order, people got the hell out, and I've been told that if you evacuate you don't usually buy supplies because you're going somewhere where supply is not a problem.

Just wondering...
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        Wait, are all these people STAYING in their homes? I thought with an evacuation order, people got the hell out, and I've been told that if you evacuate you don't usually buy supplies because you're going somewhere where supply is not a problem.

Just wondering...
        you are applying common logic to SCs here....
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Just wondering...
          That applies to the coastal regions. DGC and I both live about 180 miles from the coast. We're not subject to the mandatory evacuations.
          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I guarantee you from Gulf Coast experience that not everybody obeys the mandatory evac orders, either. They're the ones that are (most often) on TV being rescued by the Cajun Navy, helicopters, et al, after being trapped on their roofs for days.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I guarantee you from Gulf Coast experience that not everybody obeys the mandatory evac orders, either. They're the ones that are (most often) on TV being rescued by the Cajun Navy, helicopters, et al, after being trapped on their roofs for days.
              The usual sorts of "Da gubmint can't tell me ta git off mah land! I ain't goin' nowhere!"
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Makes me think of Harry Truman. You can't win against a volcano, or a hurricane.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I was so mad at my wife once, she insisted on getting contacts at wall of mart, had to pick them up. As I rolled it the lot that was something out of MAD MAX I realized there was an inbound h-cane soon. Mind you living in Va Beach for 18 years, my preps were done in June, ready to go anytime till Nov so I just noticed when the wind picked up.
                  AkaiKitsune
                  Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I've never been through a hurricane before so maybe I don't get it, but if you have several days' notice can't you fill up your own containers with tap water and avoid the stress and expense? I have a couple emergency containers that hold seven gallons each.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      I've never been through a hurricane before so maybe I don't get it, but if you have several days' notice can't you fill up your own containers with tap water and avoid the stress and expense? I have a couple emergency containers that hold seven gallons each.

That or buckets are pretty useful in these situations. . .My Mom keeps a couple of 5 gallon buckets on the front porch filled to use for watering the plants when they are outside in the summer months.

Typically we don't worry about hurricanes here . . . it's usually, as cactul pointed out, the coastal regions. Here in the Piedmont area (roughly middle of the state so we're roughly 3 hrs from the coast and about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs from the mountain region) so for us to be under a state of emergency in this region is rare indeed.

What local officials are concerned about are rain amounts and localized flooding, as well as power outages. While we aren't boarding up homes/packing up pets/fleeing the area, we are still getting ready for being possibly without power for a few days.

And yes, as I predicted, today was just as crazy. . . .

Perishable truck came this morning right around 7:30 . . . and one pallet of store brand bread items came and we had somehow acquired a pallet of Fancy Store Brand Spring water 24pks. As soon as it was put out on the floor up front by the registers, it was GONE.

I found myself up front on a register for a few minutes so Larry could attend the Service Desk (only one other cashier is scheduled at 7, office person comes in at 8) and already folks had cases of water in their carts.

One guy had 4 cases, paid for them and then bought two more! That pallet quickly dwindled before my eyes.

Luckily, Fifi came to take the register, as I was helping Ma with the price changes and having to get the back door handled on top of that.

Rest of the day, no water. Numerous folks asked . . .all got the same answer. We're expecting another truck this evening but we don't know what time - we did receive word that the trucks are 4 hours behind schedule, so we're basically at their mercy.

And all the store brand bread was wiped off the shelves by 10 . . . so was a lot of the name brand stuff as well. Mostly buns and the more expensive organic stuff was left. I managed to get some Sara Lee and Arnold breads in (snagged two loaves of Artisano to keep at my desk until I left . . . we eat that stuff pretty quickly at home anyways) and my Flowers Baking guy was waiting for a truck to arrive at the local depot, so he could get his truck loaded and try to come today. He had not made it in when I left at 3.

And we ran out of milk . . . no red top gallons to be had in any brand. I think we have more coming tomorrow, so I'll have to grab a gallon then on my way out the door tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, Gidget will not be quiet until she has her nightly bowl of milk poured for her on the table.

I had one jerkwad comment (while I was on the beverage aisle hanging the new tags) "Did you run out of water or did you forget to order any?"

I gave him a nasty side eye and silently went back to hanging tags. I heard some incomprehensible grunting and he shuffled off the aisle. I glanced back and saw he had disappeared. . . I like to think Miss Manners would have approved of that.

Both wine reps that send in Thursday orders came today . . . we've been checking each item as it comes in and sending back anything that's not been moving much but we have such big holes on the aisle (we got slammed over the weekend and the beer and wine sections were hard hit) I told them to order the sale items and fill. I'm anticipating another good weekend for wine/beer . . . especially tomorrow and Friday. My beer orders will be a little heavier as well, but we do need it at the moment.

And we got another two pallets of ice brought to us this morning. The one pallet that came Monday was all but gone this morning, so it was a good thing I ordered extra.

Two more days to go until I can hibernate in the house for the weekend when the heaviest rains are expected. . . Dog help us all!
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Here in the Piedmont area (roughly middle of the state so we're roughly 3 hrs from the coast and about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs from the mountain region) so for us to be under a state of emergency in this region is rare indeed.
                        I can imagine To the best of my understanding, they're expecting the storm to essentially crash into the mountains and more or less explode as a huge spinning cloudburst. Damn good reason to GTFO. ^__^ Take care of yourselves!

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                          Another great move is to fill the tub. Obviously this can come with other complications, but if you can work around them then that's 50 gallons of water you can use for flushing, washing, cleaning, or even drinking if you pay attention to it.
                          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I did the tub thing once, the next mornig, the tub was empty. Make sure the drain is sealed.

I have lined a 55 gallon trash can before. I need to double bag it.
                            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                            Save the Ales!
                            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Seconded on what RU says -- They even make huge, heavy-duty plastic "bags" with reclosable spouts designed to fit in the tub (no matter how well you scrub it with who knows how much bleach...>_>) to hold all of the water and allow for easy pumping out into smaller containers.

Comment

Working...
                              X