Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just what the heck are you looking for??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe she was looking to make matcha. LOL

I do get tea blends that can sludge up the bottom of my cup. Depending on the tea, I either drink it or wash it out. However, the mesh in my steeping pot isn't what you'd call "pinhole fine" either.
    Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
      I'm going to play devil's advocate and say I can tell the difference between microwaved water (or milk) and heated water or steamed milk. But who can't find a tea kettle? They have them at thrift stores, even. Or use a saucepan. Also, there is such a thing as a tea sock. http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...SkmCsZXixPKwqg
      Oh, hell yes, you can tell the difference. I don't like microwaved tea, although I'll drink it if I really want a hot drink and can't heat water on the stove (like when I'm at work).
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That's interesting, because as a rule I hate microwaved tea, but I thought I was imagining things.

Mystic: I've got a steeper with a very fine "mesh" and I still get a small quantity of sludge in my tea. Not sure that it's possible to avoid it, unless you use some form of teabag (there are, to my amazement, "do-it-yourself" teabags).

Comment

If you have very hard water, you will get a sludgy sort of precipitate at the bottom of your teapot after the tea's been sitting for an hour or so. If she comes back, maybe suggest she use filtered water? We use a Brita, and no more sludge.

Comment

I sometimes "brew" kelp powder or an herb that has disintegrated a bit in water and then strain through a nylon mesh reuseable coffee filter. There are options.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              Well, given that there are self-stirring mugs, surely it's only a matter of time until you don't need a kettle either!
              I'd be surprised if anyone got that idea past the lawyers. Think about a lot of the customers we deal with on this site. If you give them a drinking device that can heat water to a level needed for tea, some will not wait for it to cool before trying to drink it. The lawsuits from the burnt mouths and throats would run the company under!
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Metody View Post
                If you have very hard water, you will get a sludgy sort of precipitate at the bottom of your teapot after the tea's been sitting for an hour or so. If she comes back, maybe suggest she use filtered water? We use a Brita, and no more sludge.
                Don't know about her, but my tea usually does sit for an hour or so, LOL. That probably explains a lot.

I live in a city so I don't think we have particularly hard water, but I'll try a Brita and see if that makes any difference.

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                I sometimes "brew" kelp powder or an herb that has disintegrated a bit in water and then strain through a nylon mesh reuseable coffee filter. There are options.
                That's an idea. If I see her again (assuming I recognize her, LOL) I'll mention both of those. Thanks!

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                  Fun fact of the day - there is a grade of tea called dust. Accounts for huge amounts of tea sold, but it's normally contained within teabags.
                  Heh, I actually saw a tea at this nice-looking tea store today that was actually "Dust" looking. It was loose too. >.> (I'm getting my sister some for Christmas)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                  X