This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't overcharge you on purpose!!!

I recently was hired to work at a liquor store after being out of work for almost a year. Yay, employment!!! Boo-Hiss - I can just hear the SC's waiting in the wings, out to get me!

I've never before had a job where I used a scanner. Previously all my jobs were hands-on manual labour type deals. On my first day, I accidentally double-scanned one of the nips a customer had. He noticed and I quickly fixed the error, apologizing, and explaining it was my first day and I was just learning the ropes (my manager training me said not to worry, that the scanners were very sensitive and showed me how to double-check before I gave the total out.)

That was 2 weeks ago - yesterday the same customer came to my till with what I assume is his weekly supply and looked at me haughtily and said "Lets see if you get it right THIS time, shall we?"

Well fuck-you-very-much!!! I apologized, even my manager apologized regarding the mistake 2 weeks prior, and I didn't do it to screw you personally! Dipshit.

Fortunately, he seems to be a rarity, as almost everyone else I've dealt with has been great. I've already made a few friends, and am enjoying the work. We deal with mostly liquors and wines (no beer or wine coolers sold here) and I'm learning the stock slowly - liquors and whatnot I have no problem with, but its going to take me a while to learn all the different wines!! I'm not much a wine drinker (Jim Beam & cola is my go-to drink) so I have a lot to learn regarding the different types.

Welcome to CS! We've got bacon (if a certain user hasn't eaten it all - fortunately they haven't been around lately), and Jester has the "nosepaint" by the glass.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Someone asked me once what my favorite wine was.

I said, "Whatever's in the fridge."

Welcome to CS! I haz cookies and salted caramel coffee!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

to Is that your kitty in your avatar?

Yep, the SCs sure seem to think we're out to rip them off. It just never gets through their heads than anyone could make a typo, double-scan or similar error. We're doing it on purpose to take all their monies.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

Welcome to CS! I haz cookies and salted caramel coffee!
          I have a salted caramel vodka that might go well with that!
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Yep, the SCs sure seem to think we're out to rip them off. It just never gets through their heads than anyone could make a typo, double-scan or similar error. We're doing it on purpose to take all their monies.
            Alas, that's not my cat, as much as I wish it was. Siamese are my favorite members of the feline persuasion, they're almost human. My Mom used to breed them, but unfortunately, wifey is allergic.

Comment

Quoth RonaldFrobnitz View Post
              "Lets see if you get it right THIS time, shall we?"
              Let's see if you notice.

OK, I'm feeling a wee feisty this evening.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

And let's see how quickly they react when the error is in their favor.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Welcome to the group! My favourite wine is ... whatever has a pretty label.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a wine expert, LOL.

Comment

Quoth RonaldFrobnitz View Post
                    Siamese are my favorite members of the feline persuasion, they're almost human. My Mom used to breed them, but unfortunately, wifey is allergic.
                    Not nice insulting overlords by saying that they're approaching minion status. As for your wife, I remember in the BBS days a tagline "Had to get rid of the kids - the cat was allergic".
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Not nice insulting overlords by saying that they're approaching minion status. As for your wife, I remember in the BBS days a tagline "Had to get rid of the kids - the cat was allergic".
                      Touché!!!!

Comment

You have my sympathies. When I first started at the discount store some woman was having a go at me because I was so slow. I'd been on the till for maybe an hour.

Comment

Liquor store customers are one of two types:

1. Awesome and knowledgeable.
                          2. Horrid.

The trick is to kill the horrid ones with kindness. When they get snippy like that, apologize along the lines of "you were so good to be so patient with me! I think I've got the trick of it now, let's find out!" with a huge genuine grin. It throws them off, especially if they've already had a couple.

Two tricks of the trade:

If you think you might need to ID someone, just ID them. It's not worth the felony charge and fine. If they don't have their ID, no sale. No arguing, no defense. Just apologize and say that legally, you can't make the sale now, but if they'd like to come back another day with their ID, you're happy to help them!

If you're not sure if someone is old enough, or if someone has had too much to drink, get the boss. That's why they're paid well. If someone is being argumentative, or annoying, or generally an ass, get the boss. Advantage to alcohol sales - it's very easy to refuse service under the auspices of the law, and the bosses know all the tricks.

Comment

"Lets see if you get it right THIS time, shall we?"

He stole that line from his wife, I'm sure.
                            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post

I understand there are some good wines coming out of the Thunderbird region of France, the Night Train region of Italy, and the Ripple region of Spain.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X