This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evidently I'm incredibly mean.

I work in a pet store, which is pretty cool since I love animals. I switch between grooming, pet care and cashiering, all of which have their merits and downsides. Recently I spent a while in the hospital, where it was discovered that I have a pretty severe health issue that will need immediate care/surgery, and I've been taking medication to help with the pain it causes (I was screaming loud enough during testing that they could hear me in the waiting room on the opposite side of the building) but it only does so much, but they didn't give me a work release form (I'm not allowed to drive, can barely stand up and am in agonizing pain most of the time, but hey, clearly that's not going to stop me from lifting 50+pound bags of dog food and contorting myself into unnatural positions to clean fishtanks and stuff!

So, I already wasn't in the best frame of mind heading to work.

I had a few customers that really frinked me off...one was a woman who came in to get a goldfish for decoration. I explained to her, as is our job, that the goldfish (even the 'feeder' types) need at least twenty gallons, forty if they're long-bodied like comets or shubunkins, to live healthy and will suffer if kept in anything smaller. She told me she didn't care if it died, she only wanted it for a little while to look nice while she had someone visiting. I told her, as is our company policy, if we know they're going to be going into an environment that is cruel, we can't sell them. She then goes and tries to claim she's getting them to feed a turtle, and requests a specific fish from the tank (one that was very colourful). I told her we didn't get the feeders from the tank up front, those were the 'pet' fish, the feeders we kept in the back, so I could go get some from there but she wouldn't be able to pick them out, as customers aren't allowed back there. She got mad, started yelling at me and went to talk to the other girl working at the time. I told the girl exactly what I'd been told, and even spoke to a manager, but the other girl is one of those 'who cares? They're just fish' types, and got the woman the fish she wanted, at which point she proceeded to shake the bag in my face with an almost manic grin and stalk off laughing. I have never been so tempted to punch someone in my life, and I think the manager who was there knew that because he kept very close and was throwing worried glances at me, because he already knew about my current medical state and that I am NOT in any shape to tolerate that kind of idiocy. I asked why the hell my coworker had been allowed to let her get away with that kind of crap, and he shrugged and said we can't let customers get upset, because if they complain we'll get in trouble, and if someone changes their story a billion times like she had to get what they want they could end up telling corporate that we were insulting her or swearing or who knows what.

Yeah, so we can prevent animal cruelty unless the people doing it complain. Right. Fuck that noise.

While working the fish wall, there was a group of mostly unsupervised little kids running around that started smacking very hard on the glass. I asked them to stop, and when they didn't, I herded them together and asked if they'd ever seen Finding Nemo. Of course, they said they had (who hasn't?) and I asked if they remembered how when the little girl at the dentist's office tapped on the glass, how the fish didn't like it. They said yes, and I told them that these fish were the same - they didn't like when someone hit their glass, it hurt them and sounded really really loud. The kids seemed to understand that, and stopped hitting the glass. Their mother conveniently showed up just then and went off on me about yelling at her kids (I never raise my voice to anyone, much less children) and complained to the manager. He was in the area and heard how I'd spoken to the kids, though, so I didn't get in trouble for that one.

The last one was this lady who seemed perfectly nice, asked for some advice on fishtanks, which ones get along, algae prevention (I prefer marimo) and stuff like that. She noticed I was moving very stiffly when I was getting fish and asked if I was okay. I explained that I'd been in the hospital recently and couldn't move very well. She said she understood, she was in the hospital constantly for several health issues, and asked what mine were. I told her that there were a few possibilities, all of which can and will be fixed via a hysterectomy, but it was taking a while to get it approved because paperwork. She asked if I was going to be upset about not being able to have kids. I shrugged and said I never wanted them anyway, so it was no big loss. She got that same condescending smile all adults with kids get when someone even a year younger says something like that (Oh great), asked how old I was, and told me that she thought that almost her whole life until she had kids.

God, if I had a dime for every time I've heard that....look, I don't care about other people's reproductive choices, but I don't like kids and I'm TRANS anyway, though I mostly present as female right now since I haven't saved up enough for a name change or anything. I don't want kids. I know that. I don't even have any interest in relationships (Asexual and aromantic) so it's not something that's a possibility, and I hate when everyone tells me that just because I currently possess a uterus at some point something in my brain will go 'Ding! BABY TIME!' and I will be consumed with a mad lust for having children. No thanks, not me, just because I'm a little younger than you doesn't mean you know how my life works. BLARGH.
    The customer is always WRONG.

I really sympathise, but suggest you try " ... all of which can and will be fixed via an _operation_ , but it was taking a while to get it approved because paperwork."

Mentioning kids is never going to go well with an SC.

Not sure what you can do with the cruelty thing though, tell an animal charity anonymously?

Comment

Quoth scruff View Post
      I really sympathise, but suggest you try " ... all of which can and will be fixed via an _operation_ , but it was taking a while to get it approved because paperwork."

Mentioning kids is never going to go well with an SC.

Not sure what you can do with the cruelty thing though, tell an animal charity anonymously?
      I've tried contacting corporate, but they don't care.
      The customer is always WRONG.

Comment

Quoth Faetouched View Post
        ...one was a woman who came in to get a goldfish for decoration....She told me she didn't care if it died, she only wanted it for a little while to look nice while she had someone visiting....She got mad, started yelling at me and went to talk to the other girl working at the time. I told the girl exactly what I'd been told, and even spoke to a manager, but the other girl is one of those 'who cares? They're just fish' types, and got the woman the fish she wanted, at which point she proceeded to shake the bag in my face with an almost manic grin and stalk off laughing.
        Oh, if only we could do unto her what she does unto others...she should be forced to live in too small an environment, one that can be shaken like a drink mixer, and forced to live there, wallowing in her own filth, until she dies well before her time...

Fish are living, feeling creatures, not decorations. Abusing them is still animal cruelty. You want a decoration, buy a painting!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Not even feeders should be kept in environments that will insure their deaths before consumption by their predator. What's more "pet" quality animals are usually those that are extremely hardy, often vet checked and handled so they can be sold for top dollar.

People (namely parents) assuming that just because you have a uterus that you're gonna go, "ZOMG!!! WANT!!!111" any day is just trying to convince themselves that that is why THEY had kids. I'm a parent of two and hey, people not wanting kids is cool with me. It's like pizza. Not every topping is for everyone.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Geez, you're so mean! Next you'll be wearing pink on Wednesdays.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Spontaneously sticky for no reason

Considering that's true.... My Mom pulled that "you're going to want them" on my sister after she found out she got herself fixed (her hubby was supposed to do it but he chickened out) - Dad had to tell Mom to keep her mouth shut since it's none of their business.

My philosophy is if you want kids then have them, if you don't want kids than don't - it's not my business in any way and I have no right to say anything.
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

God, I hate people who are cruel to animals, fish, birds--etc. I've stopped even killing spiders. They freak me out but I can't kill them anymore.

As for kids, well: When I was 21, I didn't want any. When I was 31, I didn't want any. When I was 41, I didn't want any. Are you sensing a pattern here?

To all those who are parents and love their kids, you are fine people, I have nothing against you. It's just not for everyone, and it's annoying when total strangers/ customers make assumptions like that. Argh.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Faetouched
                  ... I have no interest in using the body parts I've been bestowed to make smallish humanoids happen. Just not something I'm interested in, but people keep insisting that I'll change my mind.
                  Years ago I realized that someday I might regret not having kids. However, I was not motivated to avoid the possibility of that regret, and would deal with it when it happened. And I have. Successfully.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

What a b*tch that fish b*itch was. I rather have a million fish than one of her type, and I don't much like fish. Except to eat.
                    And I like kids, but I don't like brats. Most kids are brats in my experience. Some say,'well, you were a brat once too' um, no, I wasn't. If I had ever behaved like the kids I see today, my parents would've spanked my hide off. If I don't have kids, I'd be happy just the same. My CWs give me weird looks when I say I don't have 2 kids, like they each do. Whatever.
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I could never work in a pet store. I would cry too much. All the pets would be MY pets, and I would not be able to sell them to stupid, thoughtless and cruel people.
                      Grrr. Fish lady makes me want to scream.
                      I no longer fear HELL.
                      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Corp needs to watch it - they probably have the 'no cruelty' rule because they got beat up at some point. If it becomes widely known that theyignore said rule with nothing more than a complainer as reason, then they'll have a worse PR problem than before.

I think the folks calling 'defense mechaniam' on the nosy SC are spot on. My wife and I have two kids, and we don't have the slightest issue with people who don't want them - it's your choice, and no one should tell you otherwise.
                        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Just a reminder -- Please keep the thread more or less on-topic -- namely, about the sucky customers. We've had to unapprove some posts that crossed the Fratching line, including one that used an unduly harsh term to describe a misbehaving child.
                          Last edited by EricKei; 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Faetouched View Post
                            She asked if I was going to be upset about not being able to have kids. I shrugged and said I never wanted them anyway, so it was no big loss. She got that same condescending smile all adults with kids get when someone even a year younger says something like that (Oh great), asked how old I was, and told me that she thought that almost her whole life until she had kids.
                            In that circumstance I would just look at her and say something like 'Luckily i am not a jerk and am quite capable of adopting or fostering if that occurs. You dont' have to give birth to love someone.'

Comment

That last lady was in no way excused, but I think a better answer might have been "Oh, I have a medical issue that's in the process of getting resolved." I know we don't always think of the best dismissive answer on the spot, though. I feel like we have to practice for those moments.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X