Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird.. Half SC/Half kind old lady (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird.. Half SC/Half kind old lady (longish)

Alright.

So this just happened and pissed me off.

I'm sure we can all agree one thing we all hate is someone implying that you don't know how to do your job right?

well just had this old lady come over for a bunch of xrays cuz she was in a car accident.... TEN DAYS ago. she refused treatment from the EMS at the scene.

so little newsflash. Car accidents hurt... even if nothings broken you can very likely be in pain for a week or more. If you've been getting around fine at home for 10 freaking days odds are you're bruised/pulled muscles maybe, nohting life threatening.

so anyways. nurse brings her over to me (sidenote: as I work almost ALL nightshifts, I know the ER nurses and staff better than some of my own co-workers as I work with them more than I do with people in my own dept. since on nights I am the only one in the xray department unless there needs to be an emergency cat scan or something then someone is called in).

So they wheel this lady over in her stretcher. and the FIRST thing i hear her say to the nurse is "you can't be a nurse, you dont have a proper uniform on AND you're chewing gun" Nurse assures her that yes in fact she is a REAL nurse and not some crazy lady just wheeling patients around. (not sure what a 'proper' uniform is as at any hospital i've been to, employees wear scrubs and, except for in certain areas like in the operating room, can wear any color(s)/patterns they want. Nurse was wearing black pants and a tan/black patterned top. yes they wer e'real scrubs' and she's a 'real' nurse :P).

So this woman takes a good 20 minutes to xray because seh shrieks in pain everytime she TRIES to move. We offer repeatedly to help her she keeps waving us off saying 'no i HAVE to do it myself' (nurse then tells me she has refused anything for pain despite numerous offers but then will not stop complaining she is in pain).

So FINALLY after much struggle and finally just helping the woman move off the stretcher to the table where I need her (despite her protests) xrays are done, she's back on her stretcher and i'm helping hte nurse wheel her back.

the woman goes 'where are all the old people? you're all so young I want somebody with experiene to be looking after me! I want somebody who knows what they're doing'

I came the closest i've come to losing it at a patient and just said in a very firm/pissed off voice 'were ALL very experienced workers here'

the nurse, despite many eye rollings and comments (quietly) to me that this patient has been in before and does this EVERY TIME. complains about the quality of service, complains about pain (refuses almost all offers of medication/assistance/help... why did you come into a hospital then?).

alright.. Rant ended. sorry everyone just had to get that off my chest. I hate when someone says I don't know what im doing because well.. I do. Sorry I'm not 80 so i could have a level of experience to satisfy you but hey guess what? Young people get to fill jobs once old people retire or die so deal w/it.

well and it pissed me off that she insulted the nurse because I get along with MOST of the nurses in the ER (like 95% of em) and they all love me so just annoyed me. Nurse just smiled and laughed it off (not how she really felt but the reaction she gave to teh patient was the smile/laugh. I couldn't do it).

anyways the kind part comes in. we get the lady back to her room in ER. and she looks @ me and says 'thank you, have a good night'.

wtf. insult the nurse, openly question our qualifications to do our jobs and then thank me once I get you back to the ER dept.

ah well. doesn't make up for the suck.
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Aha! Sounds like our patient from hell at the clinic I used to work at. She was well known at ER showing up for the craziest shit and acting just like that. I used to die laughing reading the ER reports for Mrs Crazy, stuff like 'patient is well known at this facility as she claims to be dying and shows up every 48 hours. Tonight she is complaining that the refrigerator is making noises that are injuring her brain and that her son is trying to kill her. Thorough examination shows that there is nothing physically wrong with Mrs Crazy. Administered 2cc Ativan and sent her home."

You must have the patience of a saint not to have gone off on that lady.
    "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
      I hate when someone says I don't know what im doing because well.. I do. Sorry I'm not 80 so i could have a level of experience to satisfy you but hey guess what? Young people get to fill jobs once old people retire or die so deal w/it.
      Welcome to one of life's great paradoxes: everyone wants experience, but nobody wants to give you any. But for someone to assume you don't know what you're doing because of your age, well, that's just downright insulting. I've known 16 year olds training those in their 50s. Age doesn't always equal experience.

I have to say, I admire your restraint with her.

"you can't be a nurse, you dont have a proper uniform on AND you're chewing gun"
      Blimey, that's one tough nurse...
      "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

Ugh, patients. Most of them are quite wonderful and pleasant people, but it only takes a couple nasty ones to ruin an otherwise great job. And I hate the ones that crack jokes about my age. Yes, I'm young and I look even younger. But the nice hospital people wouldn't turn me loose on patients if I were A) too young to be doing this or B) didn't know what I was doing.

It seems to be mostly older men that do this.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

One of my biggest pet peeves is to be treated like I don't know what I'm doing. The worst is when it comes from someone above me that knows less than I do. Irks me to no end.

CH
          Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth calulu View Post

You must have the patience of a saint not to have gone off on that lady.
            Nope. the nurse must! lol cuz she has to deal with crazy complaining lady ALL night (or until doc decides to discharge her). I only have to take her xrays so i had to deal with her for.. 20 or 30 min tops. thank god. I honestly dont know how the nurses do it. I have zero patience especially when someone is insulting me or complaining I dont know my shit.
            Last edited by MergedLoki; 07-31-2009, 04:55 AM. Reason: fixed spelling

Comment

Also I'm guessing that staff with the most seniority generally don't work night shifts?
              Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                Also I'm guessing that staff with the most seniority generally don't work night shifts?
                Depends on the department. in ER it rotates until you're 55. then you dont have to work nights anymore (but you can if you choose to).

My dept. it rotates, so EVERYONE gets scheduled nights, however I dont mind working nights, so I work roughly 90% of the nightshifts at the hospital. (I'm part time so this gives me more hours than I would normally be assigned and nightshift pays me roughly $3 - $4 more per hour than a day shift would).

But in general you're right most places low seniority means working the shitty hours. (I'm just a night owl so I prefer evenings/nights lol). consequently, seeing as I get the most drunks, car accidents, traumas etc. coming in at night (as oppose to at noon on a tuesday) I get a lot of hands on experience that someone working an 8 - 4 shift might not get (in general alot of the day shift patients are like... walking/talking people that their family doc ordered them to get an xray or something so its easy, takes no thought lol).

wow I just can't shut up can I? Ok I'm done i promise.

Comment

...not sure what a 'proper' uniform is...
                  Google "Hello nurse" or watch some Animaniacs reruns.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Of course, there becomes a point in time when you do not want your pilot/nurse/doctor etc being significantly older than you are. If you're 60, do you want your pilot/nurse/doctor to be 75-80+
                    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I'd say 95% sucky, 5% nice.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                        Google "Hello nurse" or watch some Animaniacs reruns.
                        Oh I have an idea of the old fashioned white skirt thing the old bat was thinking of.
                        See there's only ONE type of store I know of where you can get anything remotely close to something like that and im pretty sure it wouldn't be appropiate to wear in public

Comment

Wow...I was in a head on collision that fractured my ankle and I was joking around and just letting the ER staff do their thing....

I was even told that I was one of the best patients since I wasn't complaining or anything despite all the pain I was in....

I hate the questioning you thing....Especially if you get asked a question. you answer and then they say something to the effect of "No, that's wrong" aaarrgghh
                          Last edited by Keiara; 08-08-2009, 05:31 AM. Reason: tired....
                          Out of retail!

Comment

Working...
                          X