X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unemployment: would I qualify?

Hey folks,

The title is pretty much the gist of what I'm asking about. There are several extenuating circumstances though:
    • Due to circumstances unrelated to my job performance, I was forced to resign my job.
    • My separated wife was technically my supervisor.
    • It's been seven months (to the day) since I've resigned.
    • My former job was in Michigan, while currently I live in Ohio.

Would it still be worth it at this point to attempt to pursue benefits, or is this a lost cause? Any advice would be helpful.

Dendawg
    Last edited by dendawg; 07-11-2010, 08:00 PM.

I would go to your state's Department of Labor website/office and check. At least here, if you quit voluntarily you're not eligible (at least that's what I was told when I tried to apply).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      I would go to your state's Department of Labor website/office and check. At least here, if you quit voluntarily you're not eligible (at least that's what I was told when I tried to apply).
      I'm not sure if my resignation could be called voluntary, as my wife and I were separating, (I was flat-out told by her that I would have to find another job, no other option existed.) and she was my supervisor. Couldn't this be considered constructive dismissal?
      Last edited by dendawg; 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
        Hey folks,

The title is pretty much the gist of what I'm asking about. There are several extenuating circumstances though:
        • Due to circumstances unrelated to my job performance, I was forced to resign my job.
        • My separated wife was technically my supervisor.
        • It's been seven months (to the day) since I've resigned.
        • My former job was in Michigan, while currently I live in Ohio.

Would it still be worth it at this point to attempt to pursue benefits, or is this a lost cause? Any advice would be helpful.

Dendawg
        Someone posted that quitting voluntarily disqualifies you. It doesn't. If you have legitimate extenuating circumstances, you can still qualify. I voluntarily resigned to care for a sick relative a few states away and still got unemployment from the state I worked in. The worst thing that happens is you don't apply. The 2nd worst is they reject you.

Let unemployment tell you that you don't qualify.

Couldn't this be considered constructive dismissal?
        Hostile working environment. If you have proof, thats lawsuit material. They should have assigned you to a new supervisor, not forced you out.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I think you're living in the same city as me, Den...

PM me and let me know (if you want) what you do for a living. I'll let you know if I know of anything around here that's hiring.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

PM sent......

Comment

If and when you apply, don't forget to allow tax withholding. Every other client who did not do this ended up owing.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I would recommend calling up your local unemployment office and speaking with someone about your situation directly. It'd be easier and faster to do that, than to get multiple answers on an internet forum, some of which may be conflicting or inaccurate.

Comment

Update: I filed today by phone with the Michigan UIA, and am supposed to call MARVIN (Their automated unemployment thingy) 7/28.

Comment

Working...
                  X