This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New way of dealing with work

A friend of mine, I'll call him Lenny for the sake of this post, has a very interesting philosophy.

Lenny is an actor. Occasionally small roles in movies or tv shows being filmed in this area, but mostly little theater, which is rarely a paying performance. To pay the bills, he works at a call center. I've known several people who have worked there, and everyone hates it. Lenny has a different outlook:

"I am not a csr," he says. "I am an actor, and I've landed a paying gig where 5 days a week I play the role of Leonard, a somewhat naive idealist who likes his job and sincerely wants to help you. There's a script, but a lot of the dialogue is improv. Also, you probably wouldn't notice it, but Leonard is about 1/4 of an inch shorter than I am."
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
    "I am not a csr," he says. "I am an actor, and I've landed a paying gig where 5 days a week I play the role of Leonard, a somewhat naive idealist who likes his job and sincerely wants to help you. There's a script, but a lot of the dialogue is improv. Also, you probably wouldn't notice it, but Leonard is about 1/4 of an inch shorter than I am."

Lenny has the right idea. That's a good way to remain at least semi-sane when you work in a call center.

Comment

I've done that before. When I was waiting tables or just REALLY didn't want to go to work because of something going on personally, I'd pull out a character who didn't have any of that crap to deal with and just be them for awhile.

It worked wonders.
      I am Wolverine.............and Wolverine does not do high kicks.

He was a hero to me....and heroes are not supposed to die.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Comment

I work tech support on the phones. I tend to ignore the customer and focus on the problem. People suck. Problems can be solved with logic. Frequently this involves figuring out what the customer did to muck things up in the first place.
        Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Working...
        X