This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrelated Problems

I do alot of computer repairs for home users.

I had a customer who was in recently for me to install some software that they were having trouble with.
    They wanted the new version installed but they wanted to keep using the old version too.
    Not really that hard but you had to go thru a custom install of the new version so it would not overwrite the old one... not really relevant.
    Just a quick and easy software job.
    I showed them how to use both versions, they took it home and all was well.

Or not...

I got a call the next day from the husband.

He was really upset that I charged his wife $25.00 for such a simple job.
    I explained that my minimum charge for any work (other than warranty work) was $25.00.
    This is actually really low for the industry and prevents me from spending all my time on "easy" work that takes alot more time than most people realize (doing the work took 10 minutes, showing them how to use it took another 20, ending the conversation politely took another 10, etc.)
    This conversation took alot more time than that but that was the gist of it.

As is usual once that objection was addressed the goalposts shifted.

He says he cannot get on the internet. His email works but not anything else.
    After some questioning we find that there is no problem with his internet after all.
    The real problem he has is that now when he connects to the internet he does not get his dial-tone sound before it dials, it just goes into the connection sequence and connects with no noise at all.
    I attempt further troubleshooting but it is not going well (he wants to complain, not fix it).

I explained that nothing I did would have changed his dial-up settings.
    He of course goes ballistic and threatens me with everything from the police to the better business bureau.
    I try to help him at this point but he has alot of difficulty following directions.
    I tell him that if he brings his laptop back in within one week of the initial service I will see if I can do a quick fix (free same-day service) if he leaves it with me for a couple of hours.

I don't hear from him for a few weeks, then his wife comes in.

She is very upset from the second she walks in the door.
    She come up to the service counter and slams her laptop on the counter.
    I don't recognize her at first but the story comes out eventually.
    She uses alot of shaming language and condesending blame-throwing, but it finally ends up with the fact that ever since she had it in she gets no sound (not just the dial-tone now).
    I explain that I told her husband to bring it back within a week for same day service, and it has been over that. She will have to have normal service turn around as I am extremely busy now.
    She will have none of that and is really getting spun up about it.
    Finally I tell her that if she leaves it for a few hours I will try to fit her in.
    She wanted me to do it while she watched (which I wouldn't do even if I wasn't busy. It always turns into a free training session and takes three times as long).
    Since I wouldn't do that she left with the laptop, saying she can't leave it because she doesn't trust me anymore...

Ok. That is the end of that... I wish.

I am sure that if I could spend a few minutes with the laptop (or half an hour with someone who wanted to be helped on the phone) I could fix their sound problem, but they both want to argue and fight too much to be helped.
    I know that it is unrelated to anything I did, probably just a simple user error, but they are too focused on the drama to do anything useful. They want to have been ripped off. They can't see that I am making no money on this, so why would I waste my time making their life difficult.

The really annoying part is that I know it connected to the internet when it left and it had sound. Part of the final checklist is to connect to the internet using their connection (or at least their type of connection) and to play a dvd (with sound) or audio cd (if they don't have a dvd player).

I will update when they come back in again. People like that always do.
    Check my blog at http://ericthetechguy.blogspot.com/

The less they pay, the more they complain.

Tell em to shop the competition and when they're done paying those prices they can call you back and pay yours.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

If I were a gambling man I would place money on them having turned off the sound via software, as that is considerably more likely than the alternatives :P

this is why I have always shied away from getting into tech support of any sort.

Comment

$5 says that when they got the laptop home the first time, they plugged the ph lead into the ethernet port
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Exit contract in the main contract. They leave the store with the equipment after having it worked then they have agreed that everything is working correctly and you are at no fault for new issues that crop up after they get home.
          Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Sounds like they plugged in external speakers and forgot to TURN them on!

Comment

Nah, it sounds like they just right-clicked on the speaker icon in the system tray and clicked on "mute." Of course, they don't know that they did this. And of course, it's your fault, because you made their mouse click right on that icon.

We at tech support comedy have a name for users like this. But it would get me sent straight to fratching.
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Still no feedback from them. Either they figured it out or got it fixed elsewhere.
                I felt bad about it for a while but I know sound worked before it left (we have a checklist before we are finished) so I am pretty sure they broke it and they know it.
                Check my blog at http://ericthetechguy.blogspot.com/

Comment

They probably were bitching about it to their kid, in front of their 6 year old grandkid (sub great-grandkid if appr) and the kid walked over the the computer. looked at a few things, clicked 2 buttons, and said 'all fixed Grand'

Comment

Working...
                  X